TONY
Years ago

Fend off rule when with the ball

Hi all, I am a basketball coach and want my team to have the right understanding of what they can and can't do.

What is the deal with the fend off rule when a player has the ball. Can he physically use his arm bar to push his defender away? Can't find it anywhere in the FIBA rules?

Topic #22317 | Report this topic

peter  
Years ago

no, because you are extending outside your cylinder of occupation. this is especially called if the offensive player makes first contact

Reply #267810 | Report this post

the pink sofa  
Years ago

arm bar fine as long as you do not extend it and go outside of your cylinder - or use your elbow.

can not push as player off if they are not in your cylinder.

even the presentation of "showing an elbow" in a another players face or vigorous clear out with no contact is a tech foul now

Reply #267824 | Report this post

TONY  
Years ago

if the defender is however in the cylinder (for example when the ball is dead and the defender is playing shut-out defense) is the defender allowed to fend off, and how can they do this legally?

Reply #267830 | Report this post

TONY  
Years ago

I am now slightly confused because in the FIBA rules it says it is a foul if the offensive player with the ball

"PUSH OFF TO PREVENT THE DEFENSIVE PLAYER FROM PLAYING OR ATTEMPTING TO PLAY THE BALL, OR TO CREATE MORE SPACE BETWEEN HIMSELF AND THE DEFENSIVE PLAYER"

But I thought with the above that if the defender is in the cylinder then the offensive player can push off but not with elbow?

PLEASE HELP!

Reply #267831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony, a little know addition to the rules above is that the sturt basketball is immune to prosecution for ignoring them.

Reply #267842 | Report this post

helium  
Years ago

do you understand the cylinder, i think that maybe where your confusion is coming in

Reply #267843 | Report this post

TONY  
Years ago

i sort of get the cylinder, around the player etc, but in the past i have seen players fend off their opponent (the player fending off has already picked up his dribble and the defender is swarming him)- a little help please.........

Reply #267848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tony, your a good kid. but you cant fend off in any situation. if you saw an offensive player fend off a defender, and it didnt get called... it shouldve.

Reply #267849 | Report this post

TONY  
Years ago

thanks anonymous, but what about the above comments?

Reply #267850 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

Tony - you will find most junior refs and several senior have NFI when it comes to these rules.

The cylinder concept is a good one to teach juniors now - ie if you come down from a rebound with the ball, or pick up the dribble you need to keep your elbows inside the width of the shoulders and not swing outside this unless it is to pass the ball.

You are no longer allowed to throw elbows to clear out defenders with both your hands on the ball. Even with no contact this is a foul.

What many refs don't call is the intrusions on this cylinder by defensive players. Any contact while slapping for the ball in this area should be an automatic foul on the defense. The change in rules so that rebounders can't "defend" themselves from people hacking at the ball means every foul on the "hacker" must be called - unfortunately that is rarely the case.

Reply #267852 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon 842, that's a little harsh!

Reply #267853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, hand on heart now, do you really think so

Reply #267858 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL, Harsh, but true.

BTW, how do they go at MARS? Are MARS refs the worst in the state?

Reply #267880 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Out of interest, how would y'all call this one?

http://linky.com.au/vuh4k

Reply #267905 | Report this post

w  
Years ago

Anon #842 Still sooking from Friday night?

Reply #267913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussieboomers for eva, you would call an offensive foul because that is the clear foul. The referee was not wrong to call a foul on joe as he illegally placed 2 hands on the offensive player, however, in the spirit of the game this had little to no affect on the player and can therefore be let go.

Common sense needs to prevail in situations like this.

I think alot of the problem in junior basketball is that defenders are lazy and play with their hands far to often, however, referees allow this to happen. If the defender doesnt reach, the offensive player wont fend them off so its hard.

Reply #267916 | Report this post

Years ago

MARS - refs have been atrocious the last few seasons.

It's all way too casual out there - but i do appreciate they do the best with what they have.

Reply #267978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two hands on a player soft or hard, effective or non-effective is a foul... Simple rule that is spoken about in pregames.

Reply #268108 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754