BALLER#3
Years ago

Dallas Wizards Trade

Haywood, Butler and stevenson to mavs
howard, singleton, gooden and ross to wizards

Dallas have a chamionship in their hands with this line up if they use it properly

C Haywood
PF Nowitzki
SF Marion
SG Butler
PG Kidd
6 Terry
7 Barea
8 Beaubios
9 Najera
10 Stevenson
11 Thomas
12 Caroll

Story on NBA.com

Topic #22328 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Great trade for Dallas...they now have all the pieces to solve the championship puzzle if they can put it all together in time.

Reply #267930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dampier still in team over Haywood as centre..

Reply #267937 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Championship team?

You are kidding me. Nowitzki & Kidd are poor defenders. Dallas ranked 11th in scoring & 15th in points given up - you think either of those is going to significantly change with this trade?

Reply #267942 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It's the same story for Dallas though - talent has never been their issue. You have to ask whether the trade provides them with that player who can take over in a 6 or 7 game series and win it off their own back.

Kidd will still get killed by quicker PG's who can shoot, Nowitzki will get his points but isn't the player he once was.

Haywood/Dampier doesn't exactly worry Gasol/Bynum or even Big Z and Shaq.

Butler is arguably an upgrade on Howard, but again not the key to a championship.

Move had to be made, but I still think the Mavs issue is at PG

Reply #267943 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yep George I do.

Haywood is an underrated defender and can defend the rim a lot better than Dampier. Haywood and Butler are both good offensive rebounders which has been a huge weakness for the Mavs this season.

I have more faith of Haywood being able to bang with Bynum and Duncan than I do with Dampier. If you watch some Wiz games from before the trade, the Wiz were probably, outside of the Lakers, one of the few teams that wouldn't double team a dominate post player. Heywood is most definitely one of the better post defenders in the league.

If Rick Carlise can find an offense which has options of a mid range game for Butler, then he'll be the beast of old. Butler's game isn't catch and shoot, it's mid range, iso's and coming of curls. Playing on the weakside of Dirk could be very beneficial.

J-Ho has been on the outer in Dallas after his issues last season and the addition of Marion at the SF position. Butler also isn't an injury case like J-Ho is. Butler has always been better as a complementary scorer so he'll slot in nicely behind Dirk.

Butler's number of down due to the circus in Washington, plus Flip Saunders system didn't cater for Butler. Saunders system caters for the 1,2 and 4.

The Mavs have to roll the dice now, Dirk, Kidd, Marion and Jet are all aging. I think they now have a 2 season window. Personally, I think this moves put them back into the picture of the Western Conference finals.

The Mavs still have the Dampier chip left to play.

Reply #267945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Butler isn't arguably better than Josh Howard. He is CLEARLY better!

Reply #267954 | Report this post

d wiz  
Years ago

dallas will be one to watch now
trades will offer the missing pieces

Reply #267957 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Goerge are u serious howard has struggled with injury this season and hasnt put up decent numbers all year.

Butler has been on a losing team and now gets the chance to play with a REAL team and if you look at his last few games his pts are on the rise , 20 and 30 pt games the last few games.

Finally we have a good shot blocker in Haywood 5th in blocks and he is also lurking around the top 10 in rebounds.

All i have to say is if that team cant win a championship or atleast get into the western conference finals then they have major coaching problems.

Reply #267959 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good trade by the Mavs. Not sure they'll beat the Lakers, but its a significant upgrade. Haywood has been having his best season and is a massive upgrade over the glacial Dampier. Butler is an upgrade over Howard too, especially because he is a better scorer, but he is also decent defensively.

I was actually hoping Butler would come to the Celtics with Jamison as rumoured, but I have to admit, if I were the Wizards, I'd prefer the Dallas deal too.

Good luck to the Mavs anyway. I hope they give the West a shake this year and next.

Reply #267960 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

BALLER#3, TR

Let me break it down like this...

The Mavs don't even make the top 10 in ESPN's power rankings. nuff said.

Reply #268163 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Haywood is absolutely being underrated in this deal. He is one of the best post defenders and rebounders in the game. Bynum and Gasol will have their biggest struggles against this team than any other in my opinion, Damp and Haywood is a very tough defensive frontline

Reply #268165 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

That doesn't break anything down George, they are probably not in the top ten teams at the moment, but that's based on their performance prior to the trade...we are discussing their championship hopes now that the trade has been made.

Reply #268166 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Sorry to post again, but just realised the rankings you are refferring to are John Hollinger's bullshit, based on ridiculous stats. The Heat are in his top ten, "nuff said"....In Steins rankings, based on performance and record alone, they are in the top 10

Reply #268170 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

HAHAHAHA.... George... nice attempt at a comeback, but fail...

Jules pretty much covered it.

Reply #268175 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

My jaw just hit the floor! How does Hollinger expect to be taken seriously when he ranks Miami in his top 10? What a joke!

Reply #268234 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

TR et al...

Cast your mind back to this thread..... NUFF SAID!

Mavs aren't even close to a championship - stick to what you know.

Reply #275902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You wait two and a half months to post that. Wow "George"! Get a life and do not be so petty.

Reply #275922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754