bretts the man
Years ago

Ninnis - Any new info on his situation?

After seeing 9 news saying that looks like Ninnis possibly will be replaced then on here posters continoully say he is appointed for next year and that he thinks he will be .
So confused can anyone throw some light on what the situation is.
On nine it indicated that SOS thought that Groves should have been replaced.
If Groves was kept for any other reason than financial I for one would be pretty pi--ed.
I personally would be pretty annoyed if Ninnis has another year after defending him start of season was totally ineptn in pressure situations and had no control over the players in court direction.
Apart from my personal thoughts I think the SOS would be making a wrong decision marketing wise as well as not give the team the best chance to be succesful not to find a stronger experienced coach.

Topic #22360 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ninnis was on 5AA last night himself. I didn't hear the interview as I was pumping some weights at the gym and ran out of time in the evening to download the podcast.

Can anyone shed some light on the above question or 5AA interview?

Reply #268305 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Depends if they want to buy out his contract I suppose

Reply #268319 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

yeah - I heard 5aa, of course and put some Ninnis quotes on - Richard Hill moves to offcourt topic.

( The review of everything is going on, right now)

Reply #268321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I understand it Ninnis has a contract for next season that doesn't exactly mean he will be the head coach. Still I think the owners need to do the right thing and buy him out.

If the owners thought Groves should've been replaced why didn't they? The Cortez Groves situation is 100% on the SOS group.

Reply #268328 | Report this post

me3  
Years ago

Who else is there to caoch at NBL level.

as they say better the devil you know.

Give him the players he wants and we will see success

Reply #268336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ian Stacker is a far superior head coach to Ninnis and given he's currently an assistant with the Tigers might be willing to be a head coach again.

Reply #268338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was suggested to me that Groves was more of a selection by Hill than by Ninnis. I think finances at SOS's end might've come into play afterwards, but who knows.

Sounds like it's a choice between sticking with Ninnis, moving him into a different role, or paying him out. I'd prefer the second option over the third but obviously it could be difficult to deal with a demotion.

The first option comes down to alternatives and finances. e.g., Goorjian would be horribly expensive, some would say that Stacker didn't have great success with solid Crocs teams, etc. It's all a bit of a gamble.

Reply #268339 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

With Gilchrist injured and Groves gone -
If we got a PG that passed first - to Balls Bursto Ng
and SF/PG - I'd feel comfortable watching a team under Ninnis.

Reply #268352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker took the Crocs to their only GF and from memory were most seasons a pretty good team.

What's Ninnis done? Guide a stacked 36ers team to a first round playoff blowout and delivered the club's first ever wooden spoon.

I wouldn't exactly call giving Ninnis the arse a gamble.

Reply #268353 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Can you imagine the interest back for the 36ers if Goorjian coached? That would be a sensation move...and I reckon Goorjian would love the challenge.

Reply #268370 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Ian Stacker coached the Geelong Supercats and where did they finish? Lets see.....never made the finals and ended up in ditched by them for foul play which I cant comment on but know all the gory details that involved $. Mark Leader for coach. Played basketball, coached at SEABL and National Level and knows his stuff. Hard A$$ but very good at getting younger players to do what they do best.

Reply #268381 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

me3

as they say better the devil you know.

The devil we know delivered the wooden spoon. Surely the gamble is not that great to replace him. How much worse can you do?

Reply #268382 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

If the 36ers are to be a success both on and off the court, hard decisions have to be made, and not continuing with Ninnis as head coach is one. He has his chance and has been found wanting. From this year's attendance figures, it is obvious that the 36ers still draw a good crowd in a losing and worse ever season. Imagine what would happen if they were winning regularly and were at or near the top. From a financial point of view, you have to spend money to make money, but not perhaps at the expense of the product. Gorjian has a great record winning titles, but another record he has, is being the last coach of several defunct teams.

I don't know who the right person is as Coach. Perhaps open it up and invite Ninnis to apply. If he is the best applicant so be it, but if he isn't, move on. That is how he got the job in the first place over Smyth.

To be fair to SOS, they saved the 36ers, they were behind the 8-ball time wise and except for Groves, most players performed around expectations, perhaps low expectations in Forum members opinions anyway. They have to get it right for 2010-11 or fan support will drop off.

Same goes for the Lightning, who also had their worst ever finish to a season. You get the team you pay for in both cases and then pay for it in other ways.

Reply #268386 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Announcement is Monday (22nd).
7 news understands that although he has a year left on his contract - they are considering other options.
7 news will tell us the decision on Monday.

(unless anyone gets it during the day - on here b4 6pm, then.)

Reply #268716 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Interesting to see what they say, tomorrow.

If Cole is going to be here - then I'd keep Ninnis.

Reply #268720 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

"If Cole is going to be here - then I'd keep Ninnis."

Why??????

Reply #268725 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

In part - he has a contract. Groves being Hill's selection (and money). Movement of the ball Gilchrist Groves being errant. Cole being a mentor.

Reply #268728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave ingham would be a great coaching candidate

Reply #268882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754