LC
Years ago

Antawn Jamison traded to the Cavs

Cleveland, Washington and the Los Angeles Clippers have agreed to a three-team deal that will land Antawn Jamison with the Cavaliers as LeBron James' new sidekick instead of Amare Stoudemire, according to NBA front-office sources.

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/qjk8i]

Sources told ESPN.com that the deal will also send Zydrunas Ilgauskas' $11.5 million expiring contract and a first-round draft pick from Cleveland to Washington.

The deal also calls for the Wizards to receive Al Thornton from the Clippers, sources said, with L.A. getting forward Drew Gooden, whom Washington acquired in last week's trade with Dallas.

Besides Jamison, Cleveland will also acquire Clippers guard Sebastian Telfair.

So is this a good deal for the Cav's or would they have been better off pushing ahead on the Stoudemire trade option? Is Jamison's recruitment going to be enough to keep LeBron in Cleveland?

Topic #22370 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Great deal for the Cavs - they keep Hickson, Give up an ailing Big Z. Get Telfair as PG insurance.

What the hell were the Clippers thinking though? What's in this for them? Drew Gooden?

Reply #268423 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can see Big Z finishing the season with the Cav's in any case as well after getting paid out...

Reply #268425 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah still don't understand why the clippers did this... they must just be that desperate to dump Thorntons salary for next year. (only like 3 mil or something) I know he hasn't been playing well, but to give him away for nothing? Wierd.

This shows the Cavs are trying to convince Lebron to stay by winning a championship this year. Although probably a better option that Amare, Jamison would only have a couple years left in him.

Anyone seen the other trades (or possible)?

-Knicks And Wolves Swap Darko And Cardinal
-Bulls are close to a deal to send John Salmons to the Milwaukee Bucks for forward Kurt Thomas and center Francisco Elson (not done yet)
-The Celtics are expected acquire Nate Robinson from New York in exchange for Eddie House and J.R. Giddens (not done yet either)
-Also apparently McGrady to New York

Also Amare has to be going to Miami now right??

http://linky.com.au/k8vv2

Reply #268430 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bulls / Bucks is a done deal.....

Reply #268432 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good deal for the Cavs. Can't see them stumbling at this stage, with most of their competition faltering. Amare might have been better in terms of contract, but the Suns already found out he wasn't a good fit with Shaq. Jamison has better range too, so he'll stretch the floor for them.

Clips just seem to be clearing cap space (in Camby's case his cap hold) for the off-season. Could they actually do something most un Clipper like and sign a gun free agent? They now only have about $33 mill under contract for next season. A GM could not hope for a much better clean slate. The only contract that will eventually hurt them is Baron Davis's and he's still a good player. Next seasons roster is:

Kaman Jordan
Griffin
Collins
Gordon
Davis

Unfortunately for them, the piece that is the best fit for them is Lebron and I think he's gonna win a ring and stay in Cleveland now.

Reply #268472 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Other stuff:

Salmons for Thomas/ Elson?
- Salmons is a useful player and gives some depth at SF and possibly SG, but it seems odd that the Bucks would give up Thomas and Elson when they have zero cover for Bogut. Talk about heaping the pressure on the big fella!

Darko for Cardinal?
- I have no idea and care even less.

Nate for House?
- Meh, Celtics bought a pop gun and Cavs bought an assault rifle. Does nothing of significance for either Celts or Knicks.

Reply #268477 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

i cant see why cleveland needed to make a trade. there not going to get any better as they are already by far the best team in the league. the only thing that could happen is that jamison could unsettle his new teammates. not saying he is a bad player, but the cavs dont need to be adding players at the moment.

Reply #268478 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can see why Cleveland recruited Jamison - they want to keep LeBron beyond this season!

Jamison could give them another 1-2 years of very good service and COULD BE the Pippen to Jordan that LeBron has been missing. And with talk that Shaq nmay be around for another 1-2 seasons also COULD result in a Cav's 3-peat...far too early I know but it could happen.

As for the Bucks dealing both Thomas and Elson away that just does not make any sense unless the Bucks are going to trade for another centre as well??? I hate to even mention this in a World Championship year, but if they don't find cover for Bogut will he be fit enough or willing enough to play for the Boomers in their off-season?

Reply #268482 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Another deal has apparently been done...

The King's just acquired McGrady, Carl Landry & Joey Dorsey from the Rockets for Kevin Martin, Kenny Thomas, Sergio Rodriguez & Hilton Armstrong.

I cannot believe the Rockets traded away Landry - he has been a rock for them all season long! K-Mart could provide a spark for them though.

Reply #268484 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Me neither LC. I would not have let Landry go.

Bron, its a bit early to call the Cavs "by far the best team in the league".

They have a great chance the way this season is panning out, but they still have to show they can take care of Orlando and the Lakers will be no pushover either (unless Kobe's injuries get the better of him this year).

Jamison is also a character guy so I'd say the chances of him messing up the Cavs chemistry are pretty remote.

Reply #268525 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Amare stayed. Apparently Houston almost got Amare too at the deadline:

"The proposed deal, sources with knowledge of the talks confirmed, had Phoenix receiving veterans Shane Battier and Luis Scola, multiple draft picks and the expiring contract of Brian Cook for Stoudemire."

http://linky.com.au/sgyib

Imagine that starting 5: Brooks/Martin/Ariza/Amare/Hayes

Would have been fun to watch, but not sure how much D they would play.

In any case, the McGrady deal was the biggest one. Bucks/Houston/Grizzlies all came out winners I think. Agreed, Landry was a really efficient player to give up, but if Martin returns to all star form, that and the draft picks will make it worth it.

New York+Chicago now are completely riding on free agents in the Summer...

Reply #268585 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Ha Ha 0-12. Lucky the Cavs didn't give up Hickson.

Reply #268670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754