Camel 31
Years ago

Ken Cole offers to help 36ers and the Dome

Ken Cole has offered SOS assistance , including bringing the Dome under sixers control.

Topic #22376 | Report this topic

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

I'd guess he'd like to buy a share of the sixers and arrange that the sixers buy the dome.

Reply #268474 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Could be good if he brings enough money to the table. You don't want too many part owners running around with a 5% stake. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that.

Would be great to get secure control of the Dome back though. I always worry about some organisation getting hold of it that couldn't give a rats ass about basketball. That would be tragic.

Reply #268480 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Might be handy to have him on the board.
Arranged finance before he rang SOS from San Diego, today.

Reply #268481 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lol.. look out Scotty :)

Reply #268489 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

King Cole,

Chief Advisor and Assisstant Coach!

Has a nice ring to it.

Reply #268492 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Who would Ken seek to get assistance from a coach who may be losing touch?
Perhaps Kevin Sheedy, Cornsey, Gary Window or Boti?

Reply #268493 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think he'd buy the lot .
( I assumed SOS wouldn't wanna sell it.)

Reply #268498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true at all

Reply #268501 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw so they do wanna sell it to him - is that what you mean?

Reply #268502 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Perhaps he's looking to replace the former consortium member who was recently arrested?

Reply #268511 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

YES - and if any of the others , Dr Chek or whoever wanted to sell.

Reply #268543 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Camel - why would you think Dr Chek would want to sell... My word is he is cruising around town in the Red Kia Rio with the 6ers stickers on it.

Reply #268549 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - He loves basketball, loves the sixers - as all the SOS do -
Here's an offer to buy the Dome (which is about to be sold vacated doubtful future and the like) and invest in the sixers from Ken Cole - Worth considering it.

Reply #268550 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Actually, does anyone know how Cole made his money? I only know him as the one time coach of the Sixers. To have enough money to help buy the Dome, he must have some serious business interests somewhere!

If he legitimately can help the Sixers buy the Dome, that'd be great to see. Hope SOS can make it happen!

Reply #268567 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Did Ninnis play under Ken as a Rookie?

Would Ken want another coach or would he think he could mentor Scottie?

Could be a win win situation either way as Ken has a good basketball head and tons of experience.

Reply #268571 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Yes Scottie was a rookie under Ken Cole.

Reply #268573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Ninnis stayed on as coach, then a mentor for him would be useful. Get him to crack down on errant players, etc.

Reply #268577 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

When was the last time Cole was involved in any high level basketball?

Reply #268578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

always heard that Coles' business deals were dodgy but maybe they were just that rumours.

Reply #268581 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Coach has got various business interests world-wide.

Kinda thought - 'The Coach'. - , . senior mentor ,
to Ninnis - with Stirling assistant , - the last time that they advertised for a coach, world-wide, 2 years ago.

Reply #268594 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - that's because he phoned up - to see what the add was about, 2 years ago. Then about 5 years ago he'd mentioned he would have Newley and Ingles on his team here, and the like.

Reply #268599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time Cole was in Adelaide he got sacked.
Cole has always been dodgy.
BEWARE.

Reply #268603 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Camel 31 - was your post responding to my question? I mean, when has he most recently coached at a high level, and what league/team was that?

Reply #268605 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He was here about a year ago coaching a tourny -
lika Al Green Mark Davis and the like playing and he didn't get sacked. Got sacked in 1986 after we won the championship - been back many times since.

With regard to 'hi level' - hasn't coached NBL for many years, if that's wot you mean - coaches in the states - may not be High level - not sure.

I'd guess those that were around him here in the 80's
know what he can do. - and those that weren't don't.

Reply #268610 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It's 2010 - not sure how relevant what he did in the 80's still is. It's a different game and different league.

There's been a fair bit of criticism of the choice of assistant coaches for the Sixers this year (probably justified) and I'm not sure that giving an assiants role to a guy who hasn't coached professional basketball in over 20 years would help the Sixers.

Wasn't his health a major issue recently as well?

Reply #268617 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Major health issue in the 90s - from memory , I seem to recall him being flow into coach NBL games on a stretcher. I think he's pretty fit - playing and the like these days.
( as I say - still pretty sharp about picking say Newley and ingles back 5 or 6 years ago when a younger coach didn't - And, the speaches he's given at the Dome and the like - Sharp as a razor blade.

Reply #268618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Easy to talk about picking Newley and Ingles now. Plus, most people would've gone after them for the team.

Reply #268621 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anonymous, we all know Cole was sacked from the Sixers. As I heard it, he was sacked for smoking weed, not because he couldn't coach. And that was over 20 years ago!

I don't know if he has kept up to speed with coaching techniques, but its possible he'd have something to offer the Sixers from the bench. Even if its some motivation and discipline for the players.

Anyway, its probably all moot. Did Cole actually say he'd be interested in coaching again?

Reply #268622 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The offer is buying the Dome and investing in the sixers - having the sixers and the dome as one.

With regard to coaching - ?
Well that may be an issue - perhaps for the coach.
'cause he's always been 'coach' - with plenty of confidence in his ability to pick players, coach and the like.

He's always kept in touch with the sixers over the years - seems unfinished business here after what happened in 1986.

Reply #268623 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Looking forward to enjoying a spliff with him upon his return.

Reply #268642 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

hope he does get the dome, at least you would feel safe in knowing a basketball lover and a 36ers love has control of our facility with its best interest at heart.

Reply #268655 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Did Cole apply for the 36ers coaching posititon two years ago??

Reply #268669 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just phoned up the 36ers when he saw that they were advertising, for a coach , world-wide - to ask them what was going on.
Rather than any official application for it.
I don't think any serious interest from either sixers or Cole . Just a chat about what the situation was.
What was going on with Smyth and the like.

Reply #268671 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how this plays out -
Cole coached the 36ers to a Championship in '86 -
The whole town was talking about it.
Everyone followed our team - the 36ers - to sell out crowds and on TV, Radio,Newspapers.

It's not as popular now - doesn't get the media and the following that it had and that he might be expecting.

Reply #268686 | Report this post

mr_colewalker  
Years ago

check this out beantown my father-in-law Ken Cole makes his money by helping people. He promotes health and wellness. He has scores of investors here in san diego that believe in him and his message. He's never been a con man or known to EVER BE INVOLVED IN ANY SHADY BUSINESS. Where do u get ur info from?

Reply #270271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mr colewalker from all the people he and his wife stung back in the 70s and 80s that is where - shady dealings and if memory serves right bankrupcy in wifes name but he could start up new business in his name. snake oil salesman

Reply #270278 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

mr colewalker, not sure why that comment was particularly addressed to me? If it was the weed comment, that is just what I recall hearing at the time as the reason that Cole was sacked.

For the record, I don't care if an adult smokes weed privately, but I can understand the club being concerned if the word got out, as it would set a bad example for kids.

As for Ken Cole's business interests, I was simply surprised he would be able to help purchase the Dome, because I only ever knew him as the Sixers coach in the late 80s - not exactly a pot of gold there!

If he is able to help arrange for the Dome to be bought and held by basketball minded people for the long term though, I will be very happy indeed! That is where I have been coming from on this issue from the beginning.

My comments were not intended to be negative in any way, just curious, because I have zero knowledge of anything Cole has done since leaving the Sixers.

Reply #270291 | Report this post

mr_colewalker  
Years ago

Beantown, i was giving an answer to the question of where my father-in-law gets his revenue. As everyone knows coaching and playing the game of basketball was and is a passion of his but at the end of the day coaching was a job. Once moving on from that, just like in life you get another job. My father-in-law is Money. He's turned himself and his tramatic experience with diabetes into a profitable health and wellness campaign. He travels the world endorsing this message from self experience. But at the end of the day who are you and i to question any man on how he makes his living/money?

Reply #270392 | Report this post

Ken Cole  
Years ago

Hi Anonymous...I always feel uncomfortable with people who like to criticise but are never prepared to put their name to comments. Be more than happy to meet you or publicly debate with you any of the negative comments that you seem to be continually making.

As far as my basketball background goes - I have won more titles in Australian basketball than anyone. I coached South Australia, Victoria, South Austalia. Won State titles in four different states, playe don two Olympic teams, two world Title teams, played a year against the Harlem Globetrotters and I think my credentials are strong enough. I have been heavily involved with major college tours for more than 30 years and have coached against nearly every MAJOR college team in the USA.

I'm invited to coach at elite camps across the USA. I love the sport, I always have, and played a major role in developing dozens of Australian players that have gone on to represent their country. I have worked incredibly hard for 20 years to try and preach a positive message on the treatment of diabetes. My business dealings are worldwide with highly respected companies and my wife and I (and obviously my family) are proud of what we have been able to achieve. More than happy to discuss or debate anything with legitimate basketball fans. Either way, I have no intentions of coaching - those days are past. But I would love to help up and coming coaches achieve their full potential.

Reply #271084 | Report this post

Some1whoknows  
Years ago

Anonymous, I was there too buddy. And since your facts are wrong but your shouting them like you're right I thought I'd chime in.
The last thing he did when he was in Adelaide, well there were 2 things. WIN, then get fired for smoking weed.
What kind of soft, bit#$ a$$ organization fires there most winning coach for smoking a joint, probably the kind of soft no backbone individuals that use "anonymous" as there name and throw around wrong info so people think they know something and they can feel special.
You do sound very bitter after so much time. You would think that after that much time you would have moved on and made a success out of your life, oh I'm sorry that's the other guy, the guy coming back to offer to save a sinking ship of a facility. What have you done to contribute to the game ?
Don't be so bitter anonymous, it's not a good look.
Pretty sad.

Reply #271619 | Report this post

Ganymede  
Years ago

I though Ken ended up coaching Newcaselt after Adelaide and not winning?

Reply #271624 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

get Richard out of there.. This old man talks huge names so he can sound like a big man.. Thats childish, look for a coach for the future.. Sign of a loser. Ninnis has told any person near him that Richard was a complete pest sticking his nose into everything.. Typical amateur

Reply #271748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754