XztatiK
Years ago

Basketball Ring Systems: Spalding Platinum or Gold?

It's been a while since the last basketball systems thread so here's a new one.

Since my old Huffy 'Clear-Slam' just tumbled over on my head because the legs rusted away, I'm now choosing between the Spalding 'Platinum' and 'Gold' systems as it's replacement. Platinum is $700 and the Gold ranges from $450-600 retail.

Does anyone here have one of these systems or have an opinion on how they compare? Any tips on the cheapest place to purchase them would also be a appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Topic #22379 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I have a Platinum that is now 3 years old and it has done quite well and continues to provide good service. My brother actually just purchased the newer model Platinum via eBay (it was actually from Sportsmart) brand new and not second hand. It has a much improved and far superior height adjustment mechanism than the older model I have and it is great to use and quite sturdy.
I have not used the gold so cannot comment, but the Platinum my brother got is great. He also paid far less than the $700 from the store, forking out around $600 through eBay - so it may be worth checking out.

Reply #268545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kids have a gold and we are on our second base in a year and this one has a split at the seam. I have now filled it with sand after it fell twice in the wind. Apart from the quality of the base I have had no problems with it.

Reply #268551 | Report this post

pp  
Years ago

my son has the gold and his base also split after 1 year...

Reply #268562 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

XztatiK,

You can purchase them locally from IDM Sports at Forestville the address is unit 1/54 Maple Ave they are height adjustable with lever and have got clear backboards very good quailty the price of these are $410.00 + gst so all up $451.00. I f you are looking for a great one for a cheap price try them you can go and have a look at one because they sell straight to the public which is great. I bought one for my son for christmas and it is great. At least when you go and have a look you know what you are buying not like Ebay.

Reply #268601 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

We've had a Platinum for 3 years and it's been ok other than the height adjustment ratchet has been replaced, twice. National Distributor in QLD replaced it both times with no questions asked. Has been ok for the past year, no prolems at all with the base.

Reply #268860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you got the contact details for the national distributor, as my ratchet has recently gone as well...

Reply #268888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Platinum I got mine for 480 at rebel

Reply #269066 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

$480???

I called up yesterday and they said $600, then I went in yesterday and they changed it to $700. How'd you get it for $480?

Reply #269088 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

Anon, I got in contact with Hunter Leisure on
1800 632 792. The model number for the the Platinum is AA66399 (well it was when I bought it in November 2006.) It cost $529 back then from Rebel.

Reply #269102 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I called up *last week* and they said $600, then I went in yesterday and they changed it to $700. How'd you get it for $480?"

Reply #269111 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

Anon, I forgot to mention it comes in two parts. The first time t was replaced they sent the part with the handle and the shaft, that didn't make any difference, the second time they sent the handle and shaft, and the tube into which it all goes and that's been ok. If you go ahead with it ask for both parts.

Reply #269165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #325885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea

Reply #548388 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Where can I order the silver platinum base.. mine is broken.. can someone give me the contact details of where I could order a replacement.. cheers

Reply #563204 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

No ones got a Goalrilla?

Reply #563214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754