Peter Maravich
Years ago

NH: Thailand holiday advice

I'm heading to Thailand next month for a holiday but haven't really booked anything.

The bloke i'm going with hits up a few forums regularly and is doing alot of research. He asked me to do the same, but this is the only forum i know of....

so, can anyone give me some advice.

We are flying to Phuket and Koh Samui, but also want to hit up Koh Phanang, Phi Phi & Krabi.

We've got 3 weeks there, but nothing really booked apart from flights in and out of Phuket.

Any tips or recommendations on accomodation, attractions, potential pitfalls etc for these places specifically.

(we've already been told to check for an adam's apple, so no need to repeat that advice).

Cheers

Topic #22406 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

they take it real easy on foreigners with drugs ;)

Reply #269002 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

First of all, what do you want to do there?

Diving? Hit the islands. The Islands are more enjoyable for just relaxing
Sight see-ing? Islands, Bangkok, North or South regions.
Shopping? Anywhere really
Eating? Go where the locals are.

For Accomodation go to asiarooms.com.

Reply #269004 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Check out tripadvisor.com.

We travelled Thailand for 3 weeks last year and stayed at Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi and Phuket. Our favourite places were Chiang Mai and Krabi (we stayed just north of Ao Nang).

For us, Phuket was overcrowded and a bit f a tourist trap. Koh Samui was one big overpriced tourist trap! Chiang Mai had plenty to see, do and great food, whilst Ao Nang in Krabi province was a lot smaller, more scenic, and still had luxuries but outstanding access to the Islands.

All depends on your interests and desires...

Reply #269005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you've never been to Bangkok, spend 2-3 days there. Stay in a cool place called (I think) Suk 11. Book in advance because it's popular. It's very unique and one of the more interesting places I've stayed. Go to a tragic place called the Business Inn nearby for food - it's so dorky.

If you end up short of time, Koh Samet is really close to Bangkok - 3 hours by bus and then a bit by boat. Not as busy as Samui.

Have also been to Chiang Mai, Samui, Kanchanaburi, etc but not for 10+ years. Where to go depends on what you want. I think Phuket would be a major tourist trap though.

Reply #269010 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Watch out for Lady-Boys, budgies and ping pong balls... or if that's the things you're looking for than Bangkok is the place for you.

Now for the serious side:

Thailand is in a bit of turmoil at the moment with the ex-president due to appear in Court soon.

Here is the advice from DFAT:

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high threat of terrorist attack and because of political instability in Thailand.

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including tourist areas and other places frequented by foreigners.

In mid-February 2010, the Thai Government announced increased security measures in light of political unrest and possible demonstrations in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand in the coming weeks.

Demonstrations can develop quickly and turn violent with little warning. In the event of protest action, disruptions could occur in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand, including to transport and other infrastructure.

You should avoid demonstration sites, political rallies, military deployments and concentrations of security personnel.

You should also closely monitor developments and follow any instructions issued by local authorities.

If you are in an area where demonstrators are gathering, you should leave the area immediately.

There is an ongoing border dispute between Thailand and Cambodia relating to land near the Preah Vihear temple (Khao Pra Viharn in Thai).

There has been fighting between Thai and Cambodian military troops in recent years, resulting in some injuries and fatalities.

Some border crossings have been closed at times and landmines have been reported. Australians are urged to be particularly vigilant if travelling to this area and to monitor local media.

We strongly advise you not to travel at this time to the southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla or overland to and from the Malaysian border through these provinces due to high levels of ongoing violence in these regions, including terrorist attacks and bombings resulting in deaths and injuries on an almost daily basis.

If you do go, I'd strongly advice that you organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy (how quickly can you get out if things turn to sh*t), register your travel and contact details so DFAT can contact you in an emergency and
subscribe to this travel advice to receive free email updates each time it's reissued.

Reply #269021 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I agree with everything Isaac as suggested Bangkok is a must if you haven't been there before (even only for a few days) and Koh Samet is beautiful, I spent 3 days just sitting on the beach drinking and eating all day. Also a great restaurant to visit in Bangkok is Cabbages and Condoms (don't let the name scare you). Tripadvisor.com is good to get reviews from fellow travelers but take a lot of comments with a grain of salt because some reviews I have read about some of the accommodation I have stayed in is not that accurate

Reply #269028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the URL for Suk 11 - you want the hostel: suk11.com. But make sure you book and confirm because they're popular. Stayed there a few times in a double room which had air-con, en suite, etc. The place has lounges, roof top showers, cool breakfast area (fruit, muffins, etc). Outside of Hotel Valdivia (themed hotel used by celebrities/politicians having affairs) in Santiago, it's probably one of the more interesting places I've stayed.

Bangkok's SkyTrain is great. Shopping for homewares is pretty good. Loads of shopping centres around, cinemas are cheap (have to stand for a dedication to the king before the film starts) and ten pin bowling was too.

There was a place on Samet I stayed in 2004 for a few nights. Had its own beach. The accomm was pretty average (cheap though) but the food beside the beach was very good. If you want me to try and look up the name, let me know.

In Kanchan (1991) we stayed in these floating huts which were interesting - might still be there.

Reply #269040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754