Isaac
Years ago

36ers coaching process update

Just got this from the 36ers:

The Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers have been overwhelmed by the interest shown thus far in the Head Coaching position for the team.

Due to the amount of interest shown by local and internationally experienced coaches the 36ers have welcomed World Championship winning coach Jan Stirling's input into the exhaustive selection process.

Stirling has volunteered to work alongside 36ers staff and one other yet to be named outsider to ensure the right person is selected for the job.

The 36ers have created a short list of potential coaches and over the next few weeks will conduct interviews with people deemed to bring the necessary credentials to the club that the role demands.

The 36ers are keen to have a coach appointed prior to the NBL free agency period commencing but will not rush the decision purely around this timeline.

Interviews have been carried out with existing 36er players informing them of the process in place.

The club is excited by the willingness of players to stay in Adelaide for the next NBL season.

Topic #22418 | Report this topic

BMF  
Years ago

Love the last line how the players are keen to stay. Sounds like they were keen to leave if Ninnis was still there.

Now the SOS need to make the hard decisions and cut those who shouldn't be there. If they deem there is any that is.

They may like to leave that to the new coach also.

What is the contract basis on all the players? Does anyone know?

Reply #269161 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think all/most were on one-year deals which was meant to be standardised across the NBL for the season. Some (in Adelaide or elsewhere) might have verbals for more.

Reply #269164 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's good for our club - The 36ers - to put that out.

Fans are a little confused, this week.
The media sound so confident that what they are telling us is correct (when they may be way off the mark) - in the absence of comment from the 36ers on the current events.

Reply #269166 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Whoever we get I hope they have a proven winning track record. It would be good to get away from coaches who were guards. (Unless it's Jan of course). We need someone who knows how to utilise all the players, especially the big guys. Perth seem to have that down pat.

Reply #269171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the point if Maher has already got the job

Reply #269176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know that he does. What's your source? 5AA might've been confused if Maher was going to be involved in helping with the selection, as Stirling is too?

Reply #269179 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I really cant see Maher being signed as head coach, although I believe he would be an asset as an assistant along side a PROVEN!!! head coach.

Hopefully Heart doesn't get in the way of the Head when the decision is made.

Reply #269180 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac and SOS for that update which gives out a lot of confidence in the process etc in all areas of improving team in 2010-2011.
Two points from statement that like to raise points on.
Dont all clubs say they are over whelmed by the response in the replacement of coach and didnt Mals team say that before going cheap option in appointing Ninnis .
Seems like from the statement also that the players were looking for direction and leadership as much as we as supporters were.
It would be good as time goes along to get some feedback, rumours etc of some of the possible canditates for the coaching position.
As was suprised that heard release about Scotty sacking on radio before it was posted on here or even rumoured that he looked like being replaced as he was saying he was safe for another year.
Sometimes key Hoops people being too close has led to less info. etc being flowed through on this Basketball come Sixers support site

Reply #269181 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I gotta feeling Isaac was away, on Monday?
(when there were all sorts of stories flying around about Ninnis and likely replacements)

Reply #269183 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

what happened to Cal Bruton?

Reply #269185 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Please no Cal Bruton

Reply #269187 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Brett won't take the job after what SOS has done to his great mate Scotty.

Reply #269191 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Did you read today Boti wrote that survey done on whether SOS were right in sacking Ninnis .
Huge majority of I think 74% agreed should be replaced.
On that type of site of mainly casual interest supporters really shows that it is something SOS had to do to get the support looking for 2010-2011

Reply #269194 | Report this post

charon62  
Years ago

I AGREE THAT NINNIS NEEDED TO GO AS HEAD COACH BUT FOR RESPECT OF THE MAN I THINK HE COULD HAVE BEEN OFFERED AN ASSISTANT COACH POSITION
WHAT WE NEED NEXT YEAR IS A VERY EXPERIENCED HEAD COACH WITH GOOD KNOWLEDGABLE ASSISTANT COACHES
LOOK AT WOOLONGONG THIS SEASON THEY LOST THEIR IMPORT WHO WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BEEN LEAGUE MVP AND THE ARE ALMOST IN THE GRAND FINAL
THATS WHAT COMES FROM HAVING SOME ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO COACH BECAUSE AS I SEE IT WE LOST MOST OF OUR GAMES IN THE FOUTH QUARTER THIS SEASON WHEN THE COACHING STAFF MADE THE HORRENDOUS DECISION TO KEEP GROVES ON
AND THAT COMES TO MY NEXT POINT GROVES MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST BE GONE NEXT SEASON

Reply #269195 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

charon, please switch off caps-lock next time you post. Thanks!

Reply #269199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Posted this in the other thread, but worth confirming here before more are taken astray by 5AA talk of Maher. Brett is not interested in coaching and will not be the 36ers' coach.

Reply #269202 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Cannot believe someone is touting Brett as head coach. Much as I respect Brett as a player, we need an EXPERIENCED Head Coach. I also think Scotty did a pretty good job with the experience he had, but a few more years in an assistants position would have done him the world of good.
Please SOS, don't go down that path again. EXPERIENCE we need and a PROVEN WINNING track record.

Reply #269203 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

kobe24 - what happened to cal bruton??

good question.....you might have to ask his mum!!

Reply #269208 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

So that pretty much confirms that Jan is not in the running.

Can anyone tell me why.. does she not want it.. do SOS not want her?

Seems a total waste of skills, experience, and marketing opportunities.

Reply #269210 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

opps sorry just saw the other topic.

So Jan wasnt interested... why?

Reply #269211 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jan has just started working at Port Power, recently, and the season hasn't even started yet - wouldn't wanna leave, right now.

( I've been touting Goorjian on here and on radio. It's not me , personally , that's been talking Maher.
It's been Cornesy, Rowie and other callers.)

Reply #269214 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Stephen Rowe has no clue !

Oh, and those saying that Ninnis should've been offered an assistants role.....the head coach selects his assistants !

Reply #269218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce, Joyce, Joyce, Joyce, Joyce, Joyce. Will happen. Out of towner, will kick heads and not tolerate any BS.

The guy can coach. The thing with his son is irrelevant, as is the fact most of you guys can't stand him and neither can Boti. He will win you over because his teams are tough and will play for each other. Won a championship with Woollongong, Assistant with the Boomers...

Reply #269221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for those who think the sixers lost the game in the fourth quarter, please it has been the poor 3rd quarters where we lose it, we used to lose all momentum coming out of the half time break which then leads to our downfall

Reply #269222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Cal Bruton!!

Reply #269227 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Can only hope SOS can pick wisely, they will have lots of choices

Reply #269237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see how anyone would think Scott would want to be the assistant at the sixers after being head coach. It would be a real kick in the teeth to take a demotion in such a public role.

Reply #269238 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

True but just because they have a lot of choices does not mean all those choices will want to come.

Reply #269239 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Fark NO to Cal....The Black Pearl was great in his day, but the game has passed him by..

They should be looking at Matty Clarke or Guy Molloy..Only 2 Aust options, if not the coach should come from OS..

Reply #269251 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Please not Joyce,
Hopefully a fresh new face, like the suggestions they are looking at Euro options.

Reply #269253 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I BTM like BMF suggestion Marty Clarke or Guy Molloy as Aust. Wont cost the earth and good knowledge of Aust. players espec. young ones.
Can someone give us a broader background on Marty Clarke.
But more think about please please no this thing Goorg
as we dont want him to break our club and we dont need his shit here either and others can do a good job and recruit right people in side the budget.
How can you dilike his team if he is coaching yours

Reply #269254 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty Clarke info, from the AIS Basketball page:

Marty enters his eighth year as Head Coach of the men's program after he was Assistant Coach in the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) program for five years. Originally from Tasmania, Marty was a scholarship holder at the AIS from 1985 to 1987 and National Junior Captain at the 1987 World Championships. Marty returned to the NBL and won a championship with the North Melbourne Giants. He has coached at various levels, including three years as Intensive Training Centre Program Head Coach in Tasmania. He was Assistant Coach of the Australian under-20 men’s team that won a gold medal at the World Championships in Greece in 2003.

Career Highlights:
• Tasmania Junior Representative, 1981-1986
• NBL Player, Devonport Warriors, 1984
• Australian Institute of Sport scholarship holder, 1985-1987
• Australian Junior Team, 1986-1987
• NBL Player, North Melbourne Giants, 1988-1992
• Senior Men’s Coach, Tasmania State League, 1993-1997
• National Coach Development Scheme, 1995
• NW Tasmania under-14 Girls Coach, National Club Championships
• Tasmanian under-20 Men’s Assistant Coach, National Championships
• Head Coach, Intensive Training Centre Program, Tasmania, 1996-1998
• All Australian Junior Camp, 1997
• AIS Men’s Assistant Coach, 1998-2003
• Assistant Coach, Australian under-20 Men, 2001-2003
• Head Coach, National Junior Men’s Team, 2005-2009
• Assistant Coach, Australian Senior National Men’s Program, 2009-2012
• AIS Men’s Head Coach, 2003-current

Reply #269255 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the risk of being way off the mark, agen -

I'd guess - Smyth was on about $250,000
Ninnis $100,00. Goorjian bout $500,000.

Roughly.

Reply #269257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elite Ninnis didn't select his first assistant. Hill was appointed before Ninnis even had the job.

And as a co-owner in the 2nd year he should have done the team thing and stepped down but stayed on to serve his own ego.

Reply #269261 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the info on Marty, some decent credentials there.

So why did Marty have such a short NBL career? Did he blow out a sandshoe as many people believe, or did he just fark up? ;-)

Reply #269263 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Problem with Marty may lay in the fact that he has a good job, as does Guy..

Seen both a couple of times at seminars and they work the players and people well.

Both will be great value with the club....I can see them being long term candidaties too, looking to establish a culture which I think the boys here need...and the fans..

Reply #269265 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

NO,NO,NO to Goorjian. Sure he did well with the teams he had but at what cost. He also did not seem to have to worry about a salary cap and was able to put together teams that others could only dream about. We could all win with those advantages.

Reply #269282 | Report this post

Billy the Kid  
Years ago

The good news is that if Boy Gorj was to come here we would probably rack up 2-3 premierships straight away.

The bad news is that once we have won these, the club would go broke and fold with Boy Gorj waltzing into his next gig.

Please find someone else SOS.

Reply #269289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Goorjian-makes-clubs-go-broke meme is a bit boring TBH. Heaps of clubs have gone under and any that have tend to struggle back because no NBL team is a money-making prospect.

raytri, what about the Kings year with Kendall, Worthington, Barlow, etc - hardly big budget signings. He grabbed unknowns from a barely heralded college and churned out national or fringe-national players. I'm sure he costs a lot and wants trainers and supplements and the like, but Tim Johnston destroyed the Kings and it's on his head.

Reply #269293 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

While I have previously posted against Goorjian due to the end results for Clubs after he leaves, perhaps a bit more thought needs to go into his possible signing. He is a proven, successful Coach which everyone is crying out for. He certainly would also raise the profile of the 36ers which hopefully would lead to more sponsors. The other consideration is that the Dome still averaged around 5000 spectators in their lowest ever performing season. A Coach like Goorjian and an improved winning 36ers, would likely attract a full house every week, perhaps not quite enough to pay for the additional expenses, but would go a long way towards it.

Most of the recent teams that Goorjian won and then folded with, were owned by high flyers, who treated a Basketball team as their latest "Richman's Toy". I certainly don't get that impression from SOS so perhaps it may work. Can't be any worse than the past season.

Reply #269295 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Um Goorj does NOT make clubs go broke owners who agree to pay more than they can afford do. Anyone who works anywhere will try to get paid as much as they can, if some one agrees but can't afford it then whose faults is that

Reply #269301 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't doubt that if Goorjian was brought on board that SOS would be very aware of history and do everything they could to meet that mid-ground of taking on board a strong coach while not letting spending get out of control.

Reply #269302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are worried about Goorjian sending clubs broke, don't hire Cal.
Marty coaches in the AIS system and is X's and O's.
NOt sure how that translates to the NBL world at all.

Reply #269303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, Perhaps the teams folding have nothing to do with Goorjian, but if he is such a successful coach and apparently loves Australia, how come he wasn't coaching last season??? Money......he wants bigger and better things that what the aussie NBL can provide at the moment.

Do you really want a coach who is always going to be looking for greener pastures??

Reply #269309 | Report this post

What dome  
Years ago

Smeh, thank you for your common sense remarks which are in short supply on most forums covering the Goorjian/6ers story. Does Comm Bank go bankrupt because they pay their CE too much? If they have an astute board I don't think so.

While we can argue that a coach may get paid too much, this is a decision to be made by a board/owners taking into account the salary of the coach with the knowledge of the club's overall financial position. They are the ones who make the decisions which either bankrupt or profit the club!

Reply #269311 | Report this post

What dome  
Years ago

Anonymous at 14:04

Yes! At least they'll be interested in continuous improvement which has been seriously lacking at this club for a number of years. We've had players here who are always looking for greener pastures (some should have been put out to pasture!) and they can still have a big impact in the success of the team.

If you're talking about a loyalty factor then forget it, just look at how many ex teams are represented in our 2009-10 squad. Everyone is chasing their next pay packet, the bigger the better.

Reply #269314 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd not be adverse to Goorjan here. And agree - owners control budgets, coaches don't.

I'd like to see Stacker in the chair personally.

What's Adrian Hurley up to these days?

Reply #269318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, why ask a question if you're only going to listen to your own answer?

People use career breaks (e.g., club folding) to explore other options. If he had that "I'd be interested in doing a stint in China, not forever, just to tick it off the list and cash up on the side" feeling, what's wrong with that? I know countless people who'd love to do a stint somewhere interesting a few times in their life. I guess trying it once was what got him here in the first place.

Realistically, hasn't Goorjian stuck with each team as long as he could anyway? He jumped to the Dragons because Johnston wasn't paying wages, didn't he? Obviously getting offered good money helps, but nearly everyone is in the same position of liking the idea of payrises, being head-hunted, etc.

Reply #269321 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

You could make an argument for Goorjan being one of the major contributors to the success of the NBL at various periods.

I'd not consider him a mercenary.

Reply #269345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To defend myself from above, I wasn't talking about him leaving his clubs he has always stayed until the team folded but, I am speaking from experience. I have done stints overseas (I am in the middle of one now) for experience and for money. If I applied for a job that was for less money and a step backward and in the interview they asked me would I be happy to stay long term and I said yes, I would be lying.

I just wonder if a year is enough and if he has bigger plans now he has his role in China. I wouldn't want the SOS group to go through this search again in 12 months time.

Reply #269383 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Goorjian is one coach there must be others, yes what is Adrian Hurley up to these days???

Reply #269401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754