Omar Little
Years ago

Bogut starting to hit his straps

This is the preview for the Bucks V Indiana today and its all about the Big fella....

Andrew Bogut hasn't made the playoffs since his rookie season. Much improved since then, the 7-footer is leading the Milwaukee Bucks' latest pursuit of a postseason spot.

After getting another outstanding game from Bogut, the Bucks look to win five straight for the first time in more than two years as they visit the Indiana Pacers on Thursday night.

Following a 115-95 win over New Orleans on Wednesday night, Milwaukee (28-28) has a chance to win five in a row for the first time since November 2007. The Bucks, tied with Miami for seventh place in the Eastern Conference, are back at .500 for the first time since Dec. 12.

"We're a fun team to watch," coach Scott Skiles said. "We fought our way back to get to .500. In order to get over .500, at some point you have to get to .500. That's silly, but it's true. Now we've gotten there."

This is the first time Milwaukee has been .500 or better following the All-Star break since 2005-06, its last playoff season.

"We've played pretty well in this stretch," Bogut said. "We've got to stay grounded, though. We're at .500, that's nothing to be proud about. We can't get cocky because obviously you guys are going to be talking about playoffs and the fans are going to start getting more and more vocal."

Bogut was a rookie when the Bucks last made the playoffs. The first overall pick in the draft, he averaged 9.4 points and 7.0 rebounds that season.

Though he has yet to be the dominant player the Bucks thought they were getting, Bogut's development has been steady. His 16.2 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game this season are all career highs, and he's been particularly effective over the last three weeks.

Bogut is averaging 19.0 points and 12.5 rebounds over his last eight games. He had 26 points and 13 rebounds versus New Orleans, two days after a 24-point, 20-rebound, five-block effort in an 83-67 victory over New York.

In two games against Indiana (19-38), Bogut is averaging 26.0 points and 13.0 rebounds while shooting 67.6 percent from the field to lead Milwaukee to wins in each contest. The Bucks had lost nine straight at Indiana before an 84-81 victory Dec. 21.

Topic #22425 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

He's def getting it done at the momment.

Reply #269269 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

they gotta trade Redd!

Reply #269271 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Who would take Redd??

Reply #269272 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bogut has been hitting 'his straps' nearly all season long and is just getting better.

As for Redd, trading him is hard as nobody wants an injury riddled pie-thrower who has been unable to help his team reach the post=season and had a rediculously overpriced contract.

Reply #269275 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Agree with LC. Redd's injury is a classic case of addition by subtraction. Yeah he might be capable of 20 points a game, but he has to chuck up a lot of shots to do it. Contrast with Bogut who'll has a strong inside game and is the 2nd best center in the East, and I know who I'd pick. Without the ball going to Redd, Bogut has been made the focal point of the offense and he is making the most of it.

Reply #269277 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Clippers? they like injuried players

Reply #269280 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Bucks have better record when Redd hasn't played this year - 6-12 with him, 22-16 without.

Reply #269283 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Bogut with 11 & 6 at the half and Bucks up 61 to 55

Reply #269284 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I was going to start a similar thread a few days ago about how much better the Bucks are without Redd. He just doesnt fit the direction of where the team should be heading. If Bogut doesnt make at least second team all defensive i'd be surprised.

Reply #269286 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Omar, check out the Aussie NBA Watch thread, LC keeps it up to date with all the stats for Bogut, Andersen, Jawai and Mills...it's helpful, saves trawling through box scores!

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/21637-new-post/?a=891

Reply #269287 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Bucks have really been talking him up lately. They kept on running little snippets about him during yesterdays game, including that he'd had 5 blocks in each of his previous three games and that he's the only guy in the league to have had a 20 pt, 20 reb performance since Howard did it last season. I think they said a performance like that has only happened 9 times in the last 5 seasons.

Redd's contract is a massive impediment to them getting better next season. His and Gadz's contracts account for about $25 mill next season, ensuring they will be roughly at the cap! Other than that they have a bunch of pretty decent contracts. So basically, they'll have the MLE to pick someone up with this off-season, and their draft picks, but thats it.

They might be able to move Redd and Gadz at the trade deadline next season as expiring deals, but they'd have to take back an equivalent salary and how many $20 mill plus players that are any good do teams want to trade?

I think they will most likely have to accept treading water next season and then see if they can find the right free agent. PF looks to be their biggest weakness, but Ilyasova might cut it eventually if he bulks up and improves his consistency. His shooting is a nice complement to Bogut's inside game.

Reply #269291 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Lets hope it continues. I love how they say, that Bogut hasn't become the player they thought they were getting. Its hard to be that player when you have Redd and Mo Williams shooting the ball everytime. Now hes getting the ball its amazing what happens. Watch the highlights of the NO game and he is still doing some big dunks.I just hope he is doing this in August in Turkey when i'm there watching the Aussies win their first medal

Reply #269292 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Second in the leauge in blocks per game behind only Dwight Howard.

Reply #269306 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"Its hard to be that player when you have Redd and Mo Williams shooting the ball everytime."

How funny is that ay. You have a 7 footer with a strong inside presence yet you give the ball to the chuckers and wonder why your center's numbers aren't what you expected.

Reply #269312 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Bogut was hurt by Redd and 'Me' Williams shoot first attitude's but also by poor management.
Why would they draft Bogut, then pick up Magliore to play the 5 spot, Boguts rookie year he played the 4 man nwhich was a terrible decision.
Boguts had to put up with awful coaching in Terry Stotts and Larry Krystowiak - thats two one and done seasons each.
Skiles is exactly who Bogut and the Bucks needed. A strong coach who doesn't care about personalities. He got rid of the weasel that was 'Me' Williams and has the team playing team ball without Praise the Lord I'm Michael Redd.
The G.M in Hammond has made some big plays already but the'res not much he can do with Gadz and Redd's contracts.
He made a mess by drafting Joe Alexander but overall he's done quite well, especially drafting Jennings.

Reply #269313 | Report this post

Shhh  
Years ago

Don't count on it Flip. Bogut will follow Gasol's lead and bail on the World Championships

Reply #269325 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Absolutely right Omar. Between the coaches he's had and the personnel he's been playing with, its no wonder he has taken awhile to start reaching his potential. Thank the gods for Scott Skiles and Wally Hammond!

Shhh, I don't know why you say that. Bogut has consistently shown he is committed to the Boomers with word and deed. The guy will be there at the Worlds unless he is seriously injured.

Reply #269333 | Report this post

RIKROK17  
Years ago

Beantown

that is a 20 20 and 5 game,

Joker from the bulls has many 20 20 games this year so did Timmy D if i recall

Reply #269350 | Report this post

Lachie  
Years ago

RIKROK17, if you're talking about Noah, he has never had a 20 20 game. He's had a few games with 20 rebounds, but none with 20 points as well.

Duncan has had one this season though - 21 points, 27 rebounds (although there's a fair chance most of his 10 offensive rebounds in that game were off his own misses, since he shot 5/20 in that game)

Reply #269365 | Report this post

Hamed  
Years ago

There has been rumblings that his back isnt still 100% and he is playing through it. In saying that I wouldnt be surprised if he sits this year out for the WC's. He has had injury riddled seasons with the Bucks which Im sure they are not happy about. I would rather him miss the WC's than the Olys. I hope he plays but I with his back still giving him bothers I'd say 50 50 at best. Even with or without him we still don't have a Solid pass first PG (Mills is not the answer internationally, a 6'0 shooting PG) and besides Newley (better at the 3 imo) our SG spot is also very questionable. Thoughts?

Reply #269390 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hamed I hadn't heard about any back troubles for Bogut. What's your source? Certainly if Bogut is still have injury concerns behind the scenes that could change his availability for the Worlds.

I still believe that he really wants to play though and would only skip the Worlds if he felt he was risking his career.

I agree with you that the Boomers are not strong at the wings, but I don't believe it is a lost cause, or that we might somehow be better off 'resting' Bogut for the Worlds in favour of the Olympics.

I think you overestimate the importance of a 'pass first' PG at international level as well. Australia's best results ever were achieved with Shane Heal at the point after all!

In any case, I am very confident that Mills will be more than adequate as our PG. His incredible speed will be lethal to many teams, but do not underestimate his shooting. He will hurt teams from the perimeter if they collapse too much.

So I hope you are wrong about these rumours of Bogut's back problems, because I think the Boomers can be quite successful at this years Worlds if we have a healthy team that is well coached and working together.

Reply #269481 | Report this post

Davoo  
Years ago

Yeah Shane Heal at the point have got us how many medals? Exactly.

Reply #269518 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Just on Redd's contract, which was mentioned earlier in he thread, he's only on for the books for next season @ 18 mil and if he doesn't play for half the season most (14 mil, I believe) will be covered by insurance.

So basically, it will be one of the most valuable trading chips in the league as a large expiring contract that the franchise doesn't even have to pay.

Reply #269656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754