LC
Years ago

Will Yao Ming's baby be American?

A really interesting debate has just popped up (well I think it is!) - Chinese basketball fans want to know - will Yao Ming's baby be an American?

The Houston Rockets centre recently returned to the United States with wife Ye Li. That prompted speculation among his followers that the baby girl due this summer could be born in America.

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/sfbc7

The whole situation is apparently causing an uproar in China as Yao's wife is also a basketballer and the Chinese are worried that they will lose any future basketballers the pairing may produce...

I guess we needm to consider howe big a star Yao is back in China. He almost single-handedly put basketball on the map.

So, should Yao's baby be American or Chinese?

Topic #22455 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Well, I imagine he/she will be an American citizen. I think it'd depend on what Yao's residency status is.

Reply #269765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wherever the Baby is born will determine its nationality.

Reply #269766 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should be whatever he and his wife prefer. Unless it sparks WWIII somehow.

Reply #269769 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

it also depends on Americas citizenship policy. in canada if you are born there you are guaranteed citizenship, but in australia, if you are born here to even one foreign parent you are not.

Reply #269774 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I do recall, very well - reading on here about Roy and HG (just after the Olympics) - talking about making a movie of Yao Ming getting married to Lauren Jackson, with the part of best man, Brian Goorjian , played by Jack Nicholson.

Reply #269777 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

I don't really care, let China and the U.S fight it out they're good at that.... but no doubt the girl will grow up to be be one really big Minge

Reply #269782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

william 34 you have that the wrong way around, as long as one parent is australian citizen or permanent resident you are automatically an australian citizen if born in australia.

Poor kid, so much pressure and she's not even born yet.......................

Reply #269788 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

From memory, if you are born in the states, you are elligble for citizenship - hence why Mexican mums-to-be try to to cross the border in time to give birth.

As far as China's policy goes, I'm sure they will bend/twist/break it however they need to to make sure this arranged couple's kid can play for China should it want to.

Reply #269790 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Is the wife the sister of the Li that plays for Milwaukee & is 7'7. If so that kid is gonna be a huge MUTHA FU&%^$!!

Reply #269845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754