oatmeal
Years ago

Should the Blaze keep Vanderjagt?

1st nbl player to get cut in the silly season. joey and vandy have parted ways freeing up a spot on the roster for blaze.

Vandy is an athletic 7footer, will any club take a punt on him you think? he is a better option imo than cooper, behrendorff, dowdell, harris, crosswhite i think.

Topic #22457 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez I would of thought Bradshaw be first to be told his services, whatever they were, aren't needed.
Is Wright now re signing him after all the talk of his disappointment?
Personally I think Vandy may not have lived up to his potential but he saw little court time to prove himself once Bradshaw was signed so I'd still consider him an option.
He has a good attitude and a genuine nice guy off the court not one of those fake nice gold coast people.

Reply #269796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW where is this official?
I'm not sure it would be definite two days ahead of their end of year bash considering how awkward it would be to be the only one in the room knowing you are definately toast for the club???

Reply #269798 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Vanderjagt at the right price and points would be a very good back up C, i reckon an upgrade on Cooper and is alot younger.

Reply #269799 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have adjusted the title until this is a little more official. I struggle to believe Tom Schmidt at the best of times.

Reply #269800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thomas finds other peoples stories from facebook posts and wherever then posts them on hoops as his own story!
Vandy was talked about on goldcoast.com.au but not officially cut must have only just found that story then posted a spiced up version here.

Reply #269803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thomas finds other peoples stories from facebook posts and wherever then posts them on hoops as his own story!
Vandy was talked about on goldcoast.com.au but not officially cut must have only just found that story then posted a spiced up version here.

Reply #269804 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I would definately keep him on the coast if it were my call, but I believe he wont be coming back.

IMO he is a very capable back up who has a lot of development left in him. A team like the Sixers would be mad not to snap him up if avialable.

Reply #269805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman was that Vandys choice to go from limited minutes or the decision made for him?
Has anybody else been told they wont be needed that you know of??

Reply #269806 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I'm not sure if any final decisions have actually been made - just giving my opinion on what might happen.

Hard to imagine that anyone will be cut or told they arnt wanted before Saturday night presentation dinner anyway so I guess youll just have to wait and see ;)

Reply #269812 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Dammit Isaac, you robbed me of another opportunity to pick Thomas from one of many different aliases.

Look, I have never thought that Vanderjagt was any good and nothing I have seen from him this season has changed my mind. He is not an upgrade on Cooper. The only thing he has got going for him is that he sets a decent pick, but if you can't 1) catch the ball and/or 2) finish the play if you do catch the ball then it reduces the effectiveness of said pick in the first place.

Reply #269816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thomas (Haha poser among others)

Reply #269821 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Guys, what a difference 12 months makes.

I haven't gone back to revisit old threads but, from memory, it was about this time last year that almost all of us were singing his praises.

With only limited chances due to the stupid NBL replacement rule, he was seen by most as a definite 'keeper' from the 08/09 Blaze roster.

I'm not enough of an expert to know any better but did his game suit Joyce's coaching style rather than Joey's? Or perhaps it was a case of being more desperate in uncertain times back in 08/09, rather than the 'sure thing' he had as part of this season's squad.

If it doesn't affect the import situation the Blaze may be looking at next year, I'd definitely keep him. Also, I know there's not much sentiment left in the game these days but I think he deserves one more shot with the team after what he went through last season.

I'd also be very crapped off if he was released, and then won MIP player next season with another club.

BTW if you haven't seen it the 'Vanderjagt' motivational style picture on OzHoops is a classic.

Reply #269856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vanderjagt went from putting up big numbers in limited minutes to being largely ineffective in limited minutes. Blaze fans, what's your best guess - change of coach didn't suit him, changes to the roster, or just a change in motivation for him once he had a contract locked in for the year?

Reply #269865 | Report this post

taylorwalker  
Years ago

his stats were good in 08/09 because he was in a poor team whilst this year he was the 10th man in a loaded roster. simple.

Reply #269870 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I alwasy felt that vandy played his best games when he was the only option.

When Joyce was the coach and our other bigs were injured he always seemed to step up.

This year his best game was when Pero was out and before we had Bradshaw, played a cracker.
Then when Bradshaw arrived he seemed to really struggle - even with the simple things such as finished open shots in the paint.

Possibly one of those guys who thrives when he feels those around him really suport him and help him to be confident in his ability. But when he feels the coach isnt 100% convinced he can play well his own confidence plummets and he becomes ineffective.

He is a great team man, works as hard as anyone and will always give 100%, with the right mentoring I still see him as having a very big upside.

Reply #269871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How soon will announcements be made of who is out?
Obviously they will have all off season to negotiate who they want in depending on money and points etc but how soon will we know who Wright and the coaching staff are definately not interested in keeping?

Reply #269884 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Announcements will be made at 325pm on a Monday

Reply #269905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On A Monday?
Coming Monday?
Monday after that?
Threee hundred and twenty five pm?

Reply #269920 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Adam Gibson made it a clean sweep last night at the Blaze end of season dinner winning the 3 major awards. Gibbo won the MVP, Best Defensive Player and also the Members Award.

Mika Vukona won the coaches award.

Reply #269996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754