WNBL Final: Caps vs Boomers

great game today -

jackson mvp though ??? o'hea or hurst IMO

4-5 huge blocks by tolo in the last.

well done girls - showed us how much adelaide were off the mark this season.

lightning short at least 2 talls and game plan AWOL.

Topic #22474 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

After a scrappy first quarter, it turned into a very high quality game of women's basketball. IT heated up even further in the 3rd, with Jackson, Hurst and O'Hea lighting it up and going basket for basket.

Tolo had a block party on Cambage late in the 4th which may have very well cost Bulleen and won the Cap's the game.

For me, Hurst should have been Grand Final MVP, and if Bulleen had of won, the gong should have gone to O'Hea.

Great game to watch.

Reply #269988 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

That Wilson for Caps hit a couple of HUGE triples down the stretch as well. One of them misses & Bulleen are still alive. Jackson was awesome at times but does make everyone around her better.

Reply #270013 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That was the best, repeat.. BEST game of womens basketball I've seen.

Cambage.... got stuffed by Tolo about 4 times in the last quarter. The Caps really clamped down in the post.

I think Cambage is a great Australian based talent, but just too slow in mix it up in the WNBL. She'll find a roster spot over there due to her size, but she'll develop splinters. She's good enough to hold Jackson's jockstrap whenever she pleases.

O'Hea was the standout in the game.

If not O'Hea, I thought Natty should of gotten GF MVP. She kept the Caps in the hunt during the 1st half.

Lightning is a lot short than just 2 bigs, and unless they have a major overhaul I can't see them making the top 4 next year either.

Reply #270027 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just turned 18 - plenty more to come.

Reply #270028 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Maybe Camel, she looks to mechanical to me. Doesn't really flow or look natural.

Reply #270034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this was a fantastic game of basketball, very high quality and exciting.

in my opinion jackson shouldnt have got mvp, she wasnt the most valuable in my opinion. o'hea was fantastic for bulleen, and hurst for canberra, but definitely not jackson.

lightning were nowhere near that sort of league, and no where near up to those game plans from quality coaches.

Reply #270039 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

6ft 8in. I think she'll be fine boys ( oh & 18 )!!

Reply #270040 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

People already jumping on Cambage's case.

Cambage is going to be sensational - give her 5 years and she'll be the same age as O'Hea (something to think about).

She defintely doesn't have the natural basketball talent of a Jackson, Taylor, etc.. but tell me any other player you've seen who at 18 who was able to dominate Lauren Jackson the way that Cambage did in the 1st quarter.

Biggest concern about Cambage (and this coming from a Bulleen fan) is she appears to be a bit of a brat. Then again Jackson was similar when she was that age, so maybe a sign of things to come.

Reply #270041 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Explain brat?

Reply #270044 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Umm.... pretty sure the Caps used Bishop and Tolo for the majority of the time on Cambage.

Graf tried to keep Jackson away from Cambage on the post, hence the majority of match ups were with Bishop and towards the end, Tolo. Jackson matched up on Penaluna.

I wouldn't say at all that Cambage dominated Jackson in the first. There were 1 play where Cambage beat Bishop on the post and Jackson came across. The second they were both on the block.

If you give any player the ball as deep in the block as Cambage got in the 1st quarter, with her post moves, size and strength, I'd put money on they would score 85% of the time. Bullen used her really well in the first, rest of the game was pretty average.

Jackson wasn't a brat at all. She talks a lot now on the court, but she can back it up. She's a bit of a comedian when trash talking.

Reply #270051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comedienne

Reply #270054 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Tolo only played 3 minutes in the 1st quarter - was Bishop / Jackson on Cambage. Interesting they didn't go with Tolo from the start - arguably the only player on the Caps roster who can really stand up to Cambage.

Orbit - notice Cambage's body language, she's fiesty, and for an 18 year old seems to complain to the refs far too often for my liking. Tom Maher subbed her off at one point b/c her blood was boiling.

Reply #270058 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Thanks for clarifying Goerbe. I didn't know if you meant on or off the court.

Reply #270060 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think it was in the papers here, but it was mentioned somewhere that Cambage is a bit soft mentally. Get into her head earlier, make it difficult for her and she hasn't got the experience to pull herself out of a hole.

Jackson had a dog of a 1st half, but pulled it out towards the end. Cambage just needs more experience and time, she'll work it out.

It was pretty evident where Tolo made her eat her shot about 4 times in quick succession, and then a very quick foul on Tolo after a rebound. Had a bit of a brain explosion and was dragged. She also hasn't been around long enough to get those 50/50 calls.

Reply #270061 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

TR - Jacko was 7/23 (30% fg) - not great, and she took some touch shots. Caps could have possibly won this comfortably under other circumstances.

Reply #270067 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Not too sure what your getting at George? (No dig intended) Jackson was below average, had a dog of a game, but made the two most important shots of the game, being these two free throws and played big when the game was on the line.

Stars for me were O'Hea and then Hurst. IMO O'Hea should of gotten the Finals MVP regardless of the end result.

Reply #270092 | Report this post

espn hd  
Years ago

LJ was a gangly unco teenager - and look what she turned out to be !!!

Reply #270107 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Jackson was a coup for the wnbl & they played on it beautifully. It would be like getting Bogut to play 1/2 a season in the nbl. It's a bit like a fevola or judd, even if they are not playing great they take the best defender. Rhys jones won mvp in a granny & didn't get a kick - he simply kept smashing it away from Brereton. Jackson in a winning side mvp all the way!

Reply #270111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cambage.... got stuffed by Tolo about 4 times in the last quarter. The Caps really clamped down in the post.
That passage won them the game, IMO.

How funny was the hail? Wasn't until the commentators mentioned it that I realised that it was hail drowning out all court noise, etc.

Would've preferred to have seen the Boomers win it (seeing as they didn't buy in LJ part-way through the season), but it was a quality game regardless.

Reply #270153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac BA helped buy in LJ as has been mentioned a few times.

I question if LJ would have been playing if not for the financial support BA provided. Not like she needs the $$.

There is no way that she was a worthy MVP winner. Hurst for the Caps, O'Hea for the Boomers.

The fact BA also created another award to give LJ for services to the basketball community (what the??) further supported the fact the MVP award was a publicity stunt.

Further proof of how terrible BA and basketball in this country is and how little respect BA show their elite women's competition.

Reply #270174 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

BA didn't put a cent towards bringing Jackson back this time. Before she left in 2006, BA did contribute to her wage, but not this time.

The Canberra business community, along with TransACT, the Raiders (Rugby League) and Brumbies (Rugby Union) made this happen, along with $50k from the Government.

All that BA did this time was that wankerfest 'Chairmans Award'.

Reply #270211 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Jacko being here is a positive thing in more ways than one (this coming from a Bulleen fan).

Cmon - with the exodus of the top 10-15 women players to Europe/WNBA the WNBL is dead bang in the middle of either heading back to a 'grass roots' league OR continung as a true national league.

Sponsership $$$ is what is needed and there's no bigger player than Jackson to bring attention to the WNBL. The WNBL did a great job of milking the Cambage/Jackson rivalry - a shame Batkovic didn't get as much attention.

Reply #270311 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Might've gone close to Marion Jones playing as boomers offered her playing home games and seeking dispensation to play finals.
(Now playing professional basketball - was a news item today)

Reply #270438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754