Doctor E
Years ago

Smyth Radio interview

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Topic #2248 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"- After the interview Al Green added that Smyth is and has always been about the money."

Not sure what this means. Was Al Green saying that Smythe is only interested in money???? Obviously its fair enough as coaching is what he does for a living but its a little bit scathing to say that on radio.

Reply #25330 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Yeah, it's pretty hard to explain the tone in which it was meant and he didn't say it in a degrading way. He said "some people can say that they play (or coach) for the love of the game but Phil Smyth has always been about the money too, right back when he was with Canberra."

Green then went on to say that he deserves it with the results he's had.

I think Al was just saying it how it is, not meaning to have a go at him. And let's face it, many NBL players/coaches are about the money. Only a few, like the Gazes, can genuinely say they aren't.

Reply #25334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #25335 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

We didn't underachieve at all dammit! as was pointed out we have only 62 player points, lowest in the L and to say we underachieved is BULLS*IT, if the playoff format was 3 games i bet we wouldn't have gone out in straight

Reply #25337 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Reply #25341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, and with what results to show for it?? i think we know whose really underacheived!

Reply #25342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #25350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, fire them?

Reply #25354 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Reply #25355 | Report this post

??????  
Years ago

Which ever way they go they will need to get a move on, from what I understand only one player signed for next season, the Kings are 2 up it could be all over on Saturday and the the sign up period starts 2 weeks later that could be less than 3 weeks away and no coach signed yet and plenty of in fighting. Its time they got there s*it together before there are no players left.

Reply #25359 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Reply #25362 | Report this post

Pioneer  
Years ago

Reply #25370 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Reply #25374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #25380 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Reply #25385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doc
He might not have much say (which I doubt) but he is definetely saying too much.

Reply #25386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #25388 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's another Scott-Williams scenario. Williams went on to win a premiership and shut him up. Now Smyth needs to do the same in 2006, if he gets the opportunity.

Reply #25391 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Reply #25394 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Reply #25395 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Reply #25401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that gets a +1 from me.

Reply #25403 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

?????? (#25359) you had exactly the same idea that first sprung in my head. The grand final could be over in 1 week and 2 weeks later, other clubs could be approaching our players. With such little time left, its not the time to have a club in complete and utter disarray.

Sure Phil may have difficulty getting a coaching job somewhere else that will pay the salary he deserves, but its more than just about Phil. Its about the majority of the team that want to play for him. It is now over 2 weeks that the season ended for our club and yet no one has signed on yet for next year. That will not happen until Phil has been signed on.

To say the team has underachieved this last season is total crap considering 2 players were injured for the whole season. Why wasn't Nash replaced? Because he wasn't insured. Is Sander's comments about the team underachieving a shift of blame due to his admininistation bungle. Being knocked out in the one single playoff game was pure bad luck and totally unexpected. Smyth is not to blame for this, the finals format is. I have been pursuing an answer from the NBL for the last couple of weeks to find out why the finals format is as it is. I finally did get a response and was told who signed off approving this format representing the 36ers. It was Brenton Higgins. Once again, how do you blame the coach.

Phil has had 2 difficult seasons with the team making playoffs both times. It is quite commendable what he has achieved under the circumstances and he does this with a lot of compassion. I like many others totally trust and respect him for the way he handles the job and what he achieves out of it. Its time for the club to start listening to him and get everything back on track for a successful season ahead.

Reply #25405 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Reply #25414 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Vidmar, if you're out there, keep studying and in a few years, you and I can save the club. This is embarassing to say the least.

Green's comments about money and Smyth are interesting but you have to remember Green is a Sixers' legend with many years behind him and I sense a bit of feeling between he and Smyth over Phil's return to Adelaide and ascension to the coaching job.

Regardless, Phil Smyth is the man to lead the team so just sign him and get on with it. I know this through contacts for sure - the players are getting itchy feet and it ain't due to tinea.

Reply #25419 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Reply #25428 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Reply #25431 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Stephon..just to point out to you re your point

"Good on him for being honest and not breaching any rules but you need someone like Melbourne's guy who can get away with replacing Blake with Tucker if you want to go all the way!"

The guy in Melbourne is one Mark Robinson, former GM of the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #25444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who has, AFAIK, since left the Tigers.

Reply #25461 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Reply #25470 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hmm...he was still there for the finals from what I saw on TV.

Maybe DJ can confirm if Robbo is still there?

Maybe they could come back to Adelaide so Toni Tenaglia can get backl on radio, and get a decent female day tiume radio announcer back on (apart from Michelle "Babe" Murphy on Nova)

Reply #25556 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Hey Stephon ... did you ever finish exams at school ..? or did you just waffle on back then too ... YAWN!
Where's the soap box gone ?

Reply #25558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i talked to robbo recently and he isn't with tigers anymore

he and toni won't be back to adelaide

Reply #25559 | Report this post

Years ago

Reply #25737 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754