Isaac
Years ago

Augusta State retires Ben Madgen's jersey

A great accolade for South Australian basketball player Ben Madgen with his US college retiring his #1 jersey before he's even finished his stint with them.

Before the tip-off of the game against Armstrong Atlantic State, the school took the unprecedented step of retiring Madgen's number 1 jersey.

The senior from Williamstown is the first active player to have his jersey retired by the school.

The decision was well planned, with Madgen expected to return to Australia after completing his degree in Business studies at the end of May.

To top the night off, Ben's dad Gene was in the stadium.

Gene flew over to enjoy a rare opportunity to watch Ben live, rather than on the internet.
Full article here

Slight hiccup with the jersey company spelling it "Magden" on the retired singlet but, that aside, what great recognition. And I bet it was a proud moment for Gene too.

Congratulations!

Topic #22500 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Great news and a great gesture by his school. He has had a brilliant career at August State and will make a great NBL player when he returns home. The 6ers would do well to sign him up!

Reply #270286 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

Has he not been in the Sixers squad - 2005 maybe?

Reply #270300 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Yer sixers get on the opportunity as soon as possible

Reply #270331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

enon - I think I remember him hitting the court in a 36ers uniform that year? Bit of garbage time? Not sure.

Reply #270370 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Can I ask how he suited for the Sixers and then played at a Div 1 school? Would he not be ineligible due to playing on a professional team???

Reply #270382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good point. Maybe he had the opportunity to get on court but turned it down? Who was the other guy on the bench with him at the time? I think I was at the game where he had the chance to play? Might be confusing him with someone else though.

Reply #270389 | Report this post

Yeti  
Years ago

Great gesture by the school and IMO well deserved of Ben. I had the pleasure of seeing him play two years ago there and he was (as a sophomore) a man amongst boys, basketball IQ wise.

Augusta State is a D2 program, albeit a very good one. The scrutiny and rules are different regarding amateurism D1 to D2.

I really hope to see him play for the Sixers next year.

Reply #270396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he get a go because he's good enough or because he's from SA?

Pick him because he's good enough and might make it. Not because he's a local and "you're doing a good thing".

Reply #270409 | Report this post

Ves  
Years ago

He was 12th man for Adelaide, never played any minutes for them. So made him eligible to play for ASU and what a phenomenal time he has had there and well deserved. He works extremely hard to achieve his goals.

Reply #271777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754