rocket
Years ago

Tech fouls in ABL game on Sunday

Anyone know why the Sturt Men's Coach was nailed with 2 or 3 tech fouls in Sundays'game? (and ejected?)

Topic #22586 | Report this topic

6ers Fan  
Years ago

Mouthing off constantly, being asked to stop, mouthing off again and still having a go after the tech. Simple- stop mouthing off.

Reply #271607 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

I had an argument with Phil and I lost. My bad, sorry if I offended anybody. Not my proudest moment.

Reply #271609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not as easy to manipulate ABA referees as it is with Juniors is it Scott?

Maybe if referees took a stronger stance on junior games, coaches wouldn't believe they can behave like they do.

Reply #271613 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

I agree with you. Wasn't trying to manipulate, just pleading a case, too vigorously and too often as it turned out. Live and learn.

Reply #271620 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

SB
Having witnessed the incident agree with what you have said. Just wondering why Liam was sticking his nose in the situation? Watched the Saturday game as well and was wondering if Liam thinks he is still the coach - seems to have a lot to say. I always thought that you could only have one coach giving instructions?

Reply #271625 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Anon, if you want a conversation email or call me.

Reply #271629 | Report this post

LS  
Years ago

Sometimes the refs should listen to what the coach has to say and take it on board, rather than giving atittude and hiding behind their whistle!

Reply #271633 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Good onya for the apology....prob felt more for the young kids they reckon nearly wore your bottle/board??

Reply #271636 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Yes it wasn't a good example of model behaviour. Was bad, let's move on.

Reply #271638 | Report this post

WOW  
Years ago

WOW SB was thrown out??? I had my money on PM being the first coach to be thrown out. But we'll just have to wait and see when they r loosing for that to happen - just like in jnrs. team starts loosing and PM gets thrown just so its not his fault the team looses.

Reply #271643 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

* sigh *

Reply #271663 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

"tear"

Reply #271668 | Report this post

Will the real SB please stand up?

If it was SB, much kudos for having guts to get on here and fess up/apologise...

If it wasn't... nice fake!

Reply #271728 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I believe that was him

Reply #271735 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

If the quality of the officiating was anyhting like what was dished up to during the NBL this year I can't blame the guy.

Reply #271787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

geez he must be a bad ref, hey Jake.

to be going to the FIBA u17 world champs...

Reply #271793 | Report this post

Charon 51  
Years ago

Doesn't mean he is good, just that everybody else is worse.

Reply #271794 | Report this post

Fisher89  
Years ago

So Charon 51.
You are saying that Phil, who has been selected to be Referee at a world championship is no good.

You are saying that he, and all officials below his level in Australia are no good.

So in your opinion are there any good officials in Australia or are they all bad?

I would suggest, SB should thank himself lucky that Phil is prepared to still work games in the ABA

Or perhaps you think you could be a better option?

Reply #271796 | Report this post

Charon 51  
Years ago

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

If ref's think they are above the standard of competition, they might not do as good a job as they otherwise would. Which IMHO shows why at all levels they struggle.

Because they "think" they are great, when in fact are not.

Reply #271798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

charon 51 you are the man ;-)

Reply #271799 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Well said Charon.

All countries have to supply a Ref as part of the panel for the World Champs. Because a ref has the academic qualifications & the experience having officiated a certain number of games doesn't mean they are any good - the prove is in the pudding with the poor standard of the NBL & how long some of these guys have been around. How can the calls be so inconsistant - week in / out & just wrong in so many cases.

It would frustrate the hell out of me if I was a coach.

Reply #271802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaming individual referees is simply short sighted.

The issue of refereeing standards across all sports at all levels should be a concern to administrators, clubs and supporters.

Unfortunately the only way to improve the issue is more money and less abuse.

Only when sports spend more money on referee development will things improve.

Think about it. In basketball in Australia we have 8 now 9 teams spending around $800,000 each on their rosters. Plus another $150k on coaches. Plus another $x on medical staff, fitness coaches, strength coaches.

Add to that the costs of hiring courts for team and individual training sessions, gym memberships or gym equipment, post game recover sessions, medical suppliments for players, first aid equipment such as tape, braces, skins etc.

And basketball is behind sports such as NRL, Soccer and the biggest spender of all in regards to player development the AFL.

The NBL's clubs as a whole spent approx $10,000,000 on their players and the development of their playing roster.

In comparision the NBL does not even employ a full time person for refereeing management. The NBL does not employ a full time employee for referee development. Neither does Basketball Australia. The salary of referees has dropped from the glory days of the early to mid 90s.

NBL referees receive limited education sessions throughout the course of the season. Extremely limited.

NBL referees receive no support for fitness training, medicial costs, personal development such as communication skills. ZERO

In total the NBL would spend roughly $250,000 on refereeing. 100% of which is in referee salaries.

How can we expect the development of referees to keep up with the development of the game?

Next time you go to a basketball game consider the level of support and training the players on court have received in comparision to the referees before you decide to abuse them for the travel or out of bounds they may have missed.

Reply #271823 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

From the Points of Emphasis that are distributed to Clubs & referees at the start of every season:

Game management specifically relates to areas of respecting the role of players, coaches and officials and allowing each to perform their role to its optimum.

1. It is extremely important that the referees and their coaching staff are respected at all times in applying what is considered fair and consistent for
everyone involved in the game.

2. Allowance must be made for errors of judgment by all parties, and respect must be given to the judgment of officials in applying these principles without bias.

Generally coaches and players are to portray respect and constraint towards decisions of officials at all times.

Therefore officials are directed to call a Technical Foul in the following cases:

· Publicly overt and/or demonstrative actions towards official

· Where an official considers he/she cannot perform their duty due to unreasonable and avoidable interference.

· Audible obscenity by a player or coach.

Now I wasn't at the game, but I if SB's Behaviour fell into any of these categories, then Phil was just doing his job as directed by the league in the points of emphasis.

Reply #271835 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

A referee finally following the Points of Emphasis!!! Most ref's only follow them for the first round or two then fall back into their normal habbit's.

Reply #271837 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with the above 2 posts.

The point I am making is the overall quality of officiating is well below average & just becuase you are an NBL ref or off to the World Champs does not mean your a good at what you do.

It is frusting for everyone involved - players; fans; coaches; stakeholders etc.....

Reply #271838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tried to go to the STurt web site and look at their policies on these types of matters. Unfortunately either I or the site has a problem n that you can only read the first screen and it doesn't allow you to scroll down (Isaac??)

However I know most clubs have policies covering coaches, players and spectator behaviour and I would be surprised if Sturt didn't.

In these cases should serial offenders be disciplined by the club eg suspended for a week etc to demonstrate to juniors that this is unacceptable. Obviously this is the final straw following previous warnings and counselling. It is probably more important if it was the junior competition than seniors but having a senior coach ejected is not a common event.

At my club I am often disgusted by the behaviour of one particular coach Div 1 coach and I would support a suspension for him to show than no individual is bigger than the game. What do people think??

Reply #271841 | Report this post

Fisher89  
Years ago

Jake, would you consider Brad Hill, Jacob Holmes or Darren Ng to be quality players?

Of course, there are many times when the form they show for the 36ers would fustrate fan's however I am sure the Mavericks & Sabres would prefer to have them in the team.

As a Referee myself, I aspire to be as good as soneome like Phil one day and having associated with these higher ranked guys I can tell you they certainly do not think they are bigger than the game.

If you knew how hard they work at performing both on & off the court then I don't think you (and Charon 51) would be so critical.

Even though very much part time, these guys take there role within the sport very seriously and are fully aware that the fan's pay to see the players.

I would agree with you that the standard of umpiring in the Nbl has been up & down but it does not mean they are not good at there job's. There are many factors which contribute to the way in which the game is called in the NBL.

Anyhow of course you can have your opinion, I just think that your opinion is based on a lack of knoledge of these people and how they see themselves within the sport.

Reply #271845 | Report this post

triton53  
Years ago

OK 841, give us a clue. Which club??

Reply #271846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The policy relating to Sturt coaches on this type of behaviour is for the coaches (senior or juniors) to reward their fellow coaches in the boys club with alcohol.

So I doubt the Sturt website would be promoting that as the practice within the club.

Reply #271847 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Who cares !!!!

Reply #271866 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Fisher89 I want to make it clear I am not critiscising any individuals & have not made any reference to the game in question as I was not present. Refer to my above posts.

The bigger issue is & I'd say the majority of the posts above agree that 1. Standard of officaiting is generally below average 2. the standard has gone backwards in recent years.

I acknowledge that there are lots of variables that contribute to the end outcome / performance, however most of these guys have been around for a while now & should have served out their apprenticeship so to speak & be getting better / more consistant with their calls but it is just not happening. The bad calls / games should be getting less & less but unfortunately this is not the case.

The comparison you make comparing the players form with the Ref's IMO does not make any sense.

Reply #271869 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

As the parent of a referee I have found this topic interesting. I will say also I was at the game on Sunday and believe the ejection was warrented.

I have watched for several years and seen the abuse by coaches, players and parents and frankly Im amazed there are any refs left. The personal jibes directed at young people who are there to do a job and basically allow the game go ahead are disgusting and to hear first hand what your child is called by ignorant parents especially is quite hard to take.

There are serial pests in the coaching ranks who think they know it all and continually ride refs, with and without experience, and get away with it. There is not enough referee coaching done- only because of numbers- and the refs due to inexperience may be reluctant to get harsh with coaches when they need to be put back in their place.

I do believe it would be useful for coaches to do some ref training just as I think its important for refs to maybe do some coaching training. Its a great game and we need to promote the good not just advertise the bad. I love the game and we all need to work together to bring it back up to its past glories.

Reply #271884 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Come on people, let this go.I've never been the biggest fan of the referees, especially during my playing days but you should always show courtesy and a level of respect to these guys as without them we don't have a game (imagine if we just played "defense calls their own fouls!). SB has acknowledged he got caught up in the game as do many a player and even umpires, but in a time of reflection has realised he stepped over the line, so let's not criticise the umpire for what he did and just move on.
If you are not happy with the level of umpiring i'm sure they would be happy for you to come on board as an umpire as they are always struggling for numbers.
NEXT!

Reply #271907 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I can't comment on the specifics of this game but are people not able to differentiate between having words with a ref (even if it is an emotional chat), and abuse? If a coach complains about a call, and is demonstrative in his attempt to get his point across, that does not necessarily mean he is making a personal jibe or abusing the guy.

The refs need to be taught how to deal with complaints properly. Completely ignoring a coach is not going to win respect - even saying "I didn't see it" is enough to get him off your back, providing you don't say it five times in a quarter.

Reply #271919 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

TC2- its not up to the Ref to learn how to deal with complaints- its up to coaches to learn how to ASK for an explaination without spitting the dummy.(And for the spectators to maybe learn the rules?) There are ways of getting your point accross and getting an answer, even if its not the one you are looking for, and gaining a respectful interaction between you and the ref.

Reply #271931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2

exactly, i have had a tech foul for putting my hands in the air and then onto my head, didnt yell, didnt swear, got told i am not allowed to show that i was frustrated, this was by an ABA ref too, i told him he needed to harden up

Reply #271934 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

See 6ers fan, that is exactly what I was talking about. You automatically threw in that the coach must have spit the dummy. Why couldn't he have just asked a question? Why can't you see there is a middle ground between speaking politely, and abuse?

The game gets emotional, coaches get frustrated. To say that any sort of demonstrative communication is a "dummy spit" is just wrong. You mention respect between the two - that goes both ways. Refs can't just dismiss a coach because he doesn't feel like talking or explaining something.

Reply #271936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just need to manage yourself better. My son gets the occassional tech when playing but has never been teched when coaching. He just grinds his teeth and turns the other way from the ref so he can control himself. If he has a real problem simply calls a time out or at a break when he has calmed down speak to the ref. This approach also seems to have a more calming effect on players.

SB, have you considered a sabbatical to Tibet to meditate and seek that inner peace? I don't believe they have any refs there!!!

Reply #271937 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Yes I am trying to be more zen but sadly watching "Coach" on Survivor on Tuesday nights is turning me away from eastern philosophy.

Reply #271942 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I love how the post count next to the title of this thread paints a picture of how many techs were called in the game. We're up to 40 now. SB, you need to keep lid on things.

Reply #271944 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Recent summer grand finals - Ref whilst he is reffing the game before my sons game tells my son to take of his underarmour sweat shirt as it is not allowed. He did this all whilst he was supposedly concentrating on the game at hand. It was not during a time-out or in between quarters the game was in play when he did this. They use to play in the same age group but ref gave the game away. Is there anything wrong with this? Or would one think that authority has gone to his head a little? PS it set the scene for animosity between player and ref before the game even got started.

Reply #271945 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

panthr totally agree Sb ADMITTED ERROR - END OF DAY WEHO CARES - ALL YE WITHOUT SIn GO GET A WGHISTLE BUT I WITH sb ans panther Next bored - typing SkILLS on mend caRe FACtor 0

Reply #271962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@6ers fan #884

You say that coaches should get ref training. They were invited to come to the Panel Action Day, so as to get a view of what we refs do in terms of preparing for the new CABL season and such. However since only 1 coach turned up, it seems the coaches don't really care about understanding the game from the refs point of view and how we are told to deal with unfortunate situtations such as the one this topic is based on. We tried to incorporate the coaches and yet they don't reciprocate the gesture.

hmmm...

Reply #272183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1: Is the call this year that two hands on the player is automatic foul?
2: One hand is ok?
3: Body contact when offence player isn't shooting is allowed, provided it doesnt go over orgy-like body contact?

Thats what I've seen at the 3 games I've been at...

Please clarify someone from ABL level.

Reply #272192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Has been a point of emphasis for the last few years now.
2. Longer than to feel out the player, after a verbal warning is given, will be called a foul.
3. Depends on the situation you're talking about, but remember advantage/disadvantage principles.

Just out of interest, was this at women's or men's level, or both?

Reply #272214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both.

Reply #272228 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754