BFA
Years ago

New Court in Whitmore Square

All the details here:

http://networkedblogs.com/1E40s

Topic #22597 | Report this topic

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

I think its about time someone besides Brett Maher had a court named after them.

I'll be down later to sign it.

None of you fools better stomp on it either.

Reply #271943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the press release I got:

Slam dunk! New basketball court
opens in Whitmore Square

Today Lord Mayor Michael Harbison will unveil a new basketball court in Whitmore Square, encouraging people of all ages to get active in the City and shoot some hoops.

The court will host its first 3 on 3 competition from 4.30pm presented by Multicultural Youth SA - who will be keen to take on any challengers from the public!

Jacob Holmes and Chris Moleitor from celebrated basketball team the Adelaide 36ers will also take a shot on the new basketball court. The players will reveal some of their basketball tips and host an exciting shoot-out competition.

The idea for the basketball court came from Whitmore Square local Megan Hender, who made the suggestion to Council on behalf of her sons.

"My two boys wanted somewhere to play and exercise, outside in the Square where they could interact with others," said Megan.

“I'm so happy to see our idea take shape, and think it will be such a great benefit for the local community.”

Measuring 15m by 9m, the court is a modified basketball half-court and cost $25,000. This will enable community tournaments as well as basketball-regulation games of 3 on 3.

The new court is set in the north-east area of Whitmore Square, and basketballs can be loaned for free between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday at the South West Community Centre.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison is inviting everyone to take advantage of the City’s brand new facility.
“Basketball is a City sport enjoyed by children, international students, many youth groups, and more, so I’m very glad that Council has been able to enhance what Whitmore Square has to offer with this new court.

“The Square will be enlivened with sports groups and basketball fans, but I’d encourage all City residents to pick up a ball and try their luck shooting a few hoops!”

The Whitmore Square 3 on 3 basketball court will be officially opened this afternoon at 5pm, and everyone is welcome to come down and join in the fun. A free community barbecue will be sizzling on the sidelines and you might even walk away bouncing a free basketball!

Reply #271950 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A court where the Aboriginals and Homeless people hang out drinking. Great choice to put it there.

Reply #271952 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

King James- these people may welcome a new type of "court"
We often read on here and in papers about the lack of courts or facilities for recreational ball, so just embrace it

Reply #271956 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

a new court in Scotty Whitmore Square - i rather a square named after me than a court unless i was Mr Supreme

Reply #271960 | Report this post

JC13  
Years ago

Oh Scotty. How soon we have forgotten Jason Dix Court!

Reply #271964 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

My bad big freak, I stand corrected.

Love to see you all down at my court anytime.

Reply #271969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, try to think of what they are trying to achieve with the court. Lift the square, (at a stretch) more social inclusion, etc.

Reply #271972 | Report this post

rocket  
Years ago

Yep great concept. Maybe it could be Kendi and Scott Court (insider info).

Support Scott's great work at SYC.

R

Reply #271997 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Drove by it last night on my way home ... there were a stack of people kicking about and having a few shots ... the transients seemed confused

Reply #272021 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Besides the transients, the South West corner of the city does have a large residental population. Great move to provide youth facilities.

Reply #272033 | Report this post

Cant wait to see HallsWooly afterparty... few scores settled at 3am, with the transients calling the cops on us?

Reply #272034 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Scotts new court????,all he will need is a 6 pack of beer a packet of smokes and 8 other blokes who just want to have a fight and it will feel like the old Woodville days with Henderson, Dewitt , Madigan , Rigonni and Smythe etc.

Reply #272062 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

So if its the Scott Whitmore Square does that mean no defense will be played?

Reply #272083 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

sticks and stones.

Reply #272166 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Great, Just started Masters training on Sunday mornings at CBC now a basketball court across the road from my daughter's row cottage in Wright Court - no excuses for not getting a bit of fitness.

PS: I have walked across Scott Whitmore square safely hundreds of times,and have never seen or been accosted by him.

Reply #272229 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754