Ben Fitzsimons
Years ago

36ers to announce new coach 3pm Friday

Hi All
just letting you know that we will announce our new head coach at the Dome 3pm this Friday.
Stay tuned....

Regards

Ben

Topic #22598 | Report this topic

Who Me  
Years ago

Unusual time for an announcement, couldn't you get him on an earlier Flight from Canberra :D

Reply #271946 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Is it MIKE DUNLAP?????

Reply #271947 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I look forward to it.
The suspence has been killing me all this week.

Reply #271949 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Suspense? Everyone knows who it is...

Reply #271954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Public servants always get off early on a Friday afternoon...

Reply #271961 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

another show of the clubs lack of media savy....

- first round of AFL this weekend so really really up against it.... everyone I know is dealing with DT/SC and tipping right now
- late (ish) friday for news etc
- will be buried at best in the weekend papers
- may get adelaide coverage and might have got interstate but won't now because of media timing/cycle

should be announced Tuesday or Wednesday to give the announcement the best chance of coverage.

Reply #271963 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Pretty negative attitude HO, perhaps things weren't finalised on Tuesday? Should they sit on it over the weekend and wait till next Tuesday?

Reply #271967 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Billo, if it resulted in the story having more traction, then why not sit on it until next week?

Does it HAVE to be announced this week?

Reply #271970 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's either going to come up against Round 1 of the AFL or Round 2. Pretty similar, surely?

Reply #271971 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

HO you media genius the AFL goes for 26 weeks so maybe we hold off every announcement until after their grand final.
We will compete with footy every week and day will not matter if something semi important happens in footy we will still be 8 pages in at best

Reply #271973 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Why not wait until next weekend?
We could announce 2 resurrections at the same time.

Reply #271975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brett Maher's playing career, right? ;)

Reply #271976 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

I'm not saying the Sixers should wait...I don't really care if they do or they don't. I was just responding to Billo that it would hardly be the worst thing in the world if the Sixers sat on the news until next week if it meant the story got more traction as a result. I'm not saying it would get more traction, just speaking hypothetically.

Reply #271977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Radford is the assistant (via The West Australian newspaper)

Reply #271978 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Who cares when they announce it, perhaps they want to do it online and rivus are holding them up til 3PM Friday..

I'm OK with it....

Marty Clarke & Radford is OK with me...

Now can we get some players please???

Reply #271980 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think that no matter what BF says, he will get criticised on Hoops.

Make an afternoon of it. Chuck on a Barbie at one, knock the top off a Vinteloper Wines Pinot Noir or three, and that's the arvo gone. Jacob can be the "Tong King" and the Silver Fox can put all the salads in tuppaware.

Now, that's a way to welcome a new coach.

The big question is, can we organise it tomorrow morning?

Reply #271981 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

A piss up???

Could be organised in 30 minutes...

i'm in...

Reply #271983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke done deal.

Reply #271984 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

One of the new coaches first moves.

Sack David Cooper! I loathe and can't stand the useless alien.

Reply #271992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper was fairly servicable last year, and i couldn't help but laugh a little at the Alien comment. Reminds me of Gary Ablett Jr who also looks like an alien :P

Reply #271994 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Champ33 take your opinion elsewhere crap like that helps no one and none of us are impressed

Reply #272005 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I am not a big cooper fan but thought he was a lot better coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game this season

Reply #272006 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

sorry guys, you've missed the point. Announcing anything but a federal election on Friday at 3pm on the weekend the footy season opens will gather minimum traction.

Isaac, you know its not about round one or round two, its simply that yor best chance of capitalising - getting (getting 7 inches of copy not 3, getting face to face tv interview not just sports reader announcement, getting pre-record radio etc etc) is to announce this on a Tuesday or Wednesday given the AFL media cycle.

and billo, yes I am saying they should wait till tuesday.

This is a rookie management group and while they appear to have done well on many fronts, they have shown they handle the media stuff in a rookie way - both how they failed to capitalise on the excitement about who was being considered and this will not give them maximum bang for their buck.

Reply #272007 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

I do not see how they have any choice other than do it now. They have Perth with news all over their website and Boti going to print on rumours

Reply #272008 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO is spot on re the time of the week, the big focus is on what the Power and Crows are doing this weekend, along with round 1 of the SANFL.

The only hope is that a network(s) has been consulted in all this and has allocated decent space for it. No doubt Boti will give it a good run.

Reply #272009 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

I agree with ITK between Boti and other papers and websites it will be old news by next week

Reply #272010 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

its definately Clark, good luck to him, i hope all goes well, big risk to try unproven coach, but lets wait and see what happens :)

Reply #272013 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clark is a proven coach with his work with the junior national team - he just hasnt coached at NBL level yet. He worked closely with Brian Goorjian over a number of years to align the AIS program with the Boomers program, I think his credentials are fine.

Correct me if I am wrong but McLeod and Beveridge both coached the junior national team and then were good coaches off the bat in the NBL. I wouldnt expect a championship first season, but things will move in the right direction.

Reply #272018 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Given the story has already effectively broken, the longer the Sixers wait to drop the official announcement, the more it'll look like the worst kept secret going around.

Still not getting why there are so many overtly negative posts in here though? No wonder the interstaters rag on us for it.

Reply #272019 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

All i am saying is that the club gambled with Ninnis and they are doing the same with Clarke. I wish him all the best. The question mark will be how he handles the pressure of elite/professional basketball.

I personally think its great to see new coaches getting a chance, but i am not sure if this is the righ choice for the franchise, they tried it with ninnis and it failed. Hopefully clark can do better. Hopefully the gamble pays off.

Reply #272022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Clarke will not suffer fools.

He will surround himself with good people. People who care and who work hard. There will be no repeat of a Hodge type saga. The imports selected will be from good schools.

The man has coached at 3 junior world championships where the quality of play is very high. He is no dud.

He has a tonne of solid experience coaching in pressure situations, more than Ninnis had when he started. I'd hardly call him inexperienced.

Importantly, the guy is a coach. Not an ex-player trying to be a coach.

Reply #272025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far out people, you dont want recycled players or coaches nor do you want rookies; whats the club supposed to do??

How does a coach get NBL experience? You give him a chance, thats how!!

Just because Ninnis didnt work, doesnt mean that Clarke (if appointed) wont either. He has more credentials than Ninnis did.

Can we just give the new coach a chance and get behind him? It may just inspire him to great things rather than have to fight all the negativity from fans on top of having to coach!

They couldnt announce the coach earlier in the week cos Wed night they only got informed that they had tenure at the Dome and they didnt feel it was fair to sign a coach and have him uplift his whole life when they couldnt guarantee where they were going to play.

I for one am excited about Clarke, not just for next season but many seasons to come; I think he will do a terriffic job!!

FWIW, I also think the SOS are doing a great job and will improve every season!

Reply #272026 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

While Clarke may be a rookie coach at NBL level, they have just signed the assistant coach of the 2009-10 championship winning team as his assistant. Smart move which certainly negates any "rookie risk" compared to Ninnis.

Reply #272032 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

May be a bit before your time but Martin was actually a very good NBL player before he became a coach.

His career took a massive turn when he lost out in the Giants / Magic merger way back.

Reply #272035 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Had to be this week probably should have been Mon -Wed but didnt happen . This will be a positive appointment and looking fwd to a well structured well coached Sixers.
Loved anon. view this guy is a coach not a ex player trying to coach

Reply #272037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Drb, and you would've preferred Joyce from the wooden-spooning Blaze. Clarke is a good selection.

Reply #272040 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Can't wait to see what he does with the line-up.

Reply #272041 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Expect some good college returnees in the next few years. I think Adelaide will win a couple of ROY awards before Clarke is done.

Reply #272044 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Bring on Ben Allen

Reply #272048 | Report this post

SAJ  
Years ago

Joyce got the blaze to the finals in their very first year after building the squad from scratch. How many franchises have done that over the years? The second year was decimated by injuries to the squad. Joyce was screwed anyway with the Blaze due to the owners going out and drinking/ socializing with the players. Joyce was highly critical of this and voiced his disapproval.

Isaac, you still bitter about the 2001 semi final defeat and still having nightmares over that Lowery free throw?

Can't stand individuals who start ripping one of the better coaches in the league and was obviously good enough to be Goorjian's assistant with the Boomers for 6 years. Goorjian and Joyce are cut from the same cloth when it comes to coaching and I personally think the 36ers have made the wrong decision. Good luck to Clarke anyway.

Reply #272050 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

SAJ thank god someone with a brain, isaac you always hold something against joyce, is it because he may not rate Oscar? That goorj and him cutt him from oz squads?

As mentioned good luck to Marty, its a gamble,i wish him the best, i dont think its the right decision, but i hope he does well. Adelaide needs to be succesful in this league for bball to develope further.

Reply #272056 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Joyce's first few years he was excellent. But once his son came into the league he became little more than a joke.

Yes the Blaze made the playoffs in their first year, but so did the Slingers and the Dragons - and that doesnt mean Shane Heal is a good coach.

Reply #272060 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Joyce's two most recent NBL coaching appointments ended with:

1) Being fired and a wooden spoon, followed by litigation
2) Being fired.

Sorry, but I think that the game has past him by. He has had some excellent results over the years in the NBL, but he is done. Bring on Clarke, and a new era.

I really don't think Isaac's opinion on the matter has been slanted one way or another.

That 2nd year where injuries "decimated" the GC was also the same year he chose to bring his mate Heal in to run the point was it not?

You also have to factor in that a lot of Adelaide fans hate Joyce. He is f*cking despised here. Clarke is a vibrant, somewhat left-field choice, and a good one.

And no I have not yet gotten over that Lowery FT, but to be honest I still blame Eddie Crouch for that, it has nothing to do with Joyce.

Reply #272061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nothing to do with Oscar and don't know why that has even been raised. I don't think I've ever really trumpeted Oscar to be in a position that is beyond him and I'm often surprised when he's made a cut or tour. He doesn't even get mentioned in the vast majority of my posts.

And I'm not ripping Joyce that hard, just raising counterpoints to serial pro-Joyce posters. Drb, annom and co only ever appear to pump up Joyce. It's astroturfing from family or friends and I'd find it a lot more credible if there was more variety in the pros and cons presented. Instead, it's "Clarke is a mistake", "Joyce kills Stacker head to head." No mention of the troubles on the Gold Coast, SoJ, the exit from Wollongong, etc.

Reply #272064 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was a clear foul by Mee!

Reply #272066 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Doesn't mean I have forgiven Crouch for calling it.

Reply #272067 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair enough! I havent forgiven Adelaide for beating the Magic/Titans all those times in the playoffs, doesnt mean I blame them for doing it I suppose!!

Reply #272070 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Please don't start me on the Lowery debacle - it'll be comparable to my Rose rants, only decidedly more expletive riddled.

I just don't see what Joyce brings to the table. For mine, it'd be disastrous from a fan base point of view. He's a loud mouthed, obnoxious social football style coach that doesn't represent a professional franchise very well at all in my opinion. Hell, his own club's fan base turned against him not that long ago.

I didn't see much ingenuity or well thought out strategy from him in his various tenures. He had some early success, sure, but as posted above, he's clearly fallen off the radar.

Said it elsewhere: I'm really looking forward to a fresh start with Clarke.

Reply #272072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide fans are so negative and hate everybody, I guess they have nothing better to do.

Reply #272079 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Its Friday 3.15pm, has it been announced?

Reply #272084 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I guess that's the potential downside of having one of the most knowledgeable fan bases in the NBL.

Reply #272085 | Report this post

SAJ  
Years ago

Can someone share with me what Clarke will bring to the table?

He gets access to the best under age talent in the country who then eventually go and ply their trade in the U.S. College system.

If Clarke moulded these young guys into something special then why couldn't they medal at the last World Champs? has he had success coaching at the elite level or just under?

How will he go working with athletes earning up to $250K a year with big egos and players with less talent than he has had in the junior program at the AIS?

Reply #272086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clarke announced as head coach and Radford as assistant.

Reply #272090 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

SAJ spot on! The junior team should have done much better and his record in seabl/abl is nothing flash

Reply #272094 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

SAJ, I'll answer your question with another question. How much experience does a coach need to have to be appointed to an NBL team? I'd say Clarke's experience thus far is very good, as you say he's not coached professionals before but your coach in all likelihood is going to be either:

a) Previous NBL coach being recycled (Joyce, Stacker etc)
b) American college coach
c) Australian coach with no NBL head coaching experience looking to take the next step

There are all sorts of problems and reservations with appointing Joyce, as has already been discussed to death, and one could argue that Stacker hasn't seen much recent NBL success either so none of those appointments would have been particularly inspirational.

An American college coach would have the same issue of never coaching professionals before, but would have the additional disadvantage of being unfamiliar with Australia's young talent.

This leaves an unproven Australian as the final alternative, yes, it's a risk appointing someone new, but in the absence of Goorjian or Phil Jackson beating a path to our door I think Clarke is the best available. He also comes with a tremendous upside of having some recruiting clout when it comes to yong Aussies returning home.

Reply #272099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His role at the AIS is not to win SEABL Championships, its to develop players capable of playing at an international level.

Considering 5 of the players he's had at the AIS are currently playing in the NCAA Sweet 16, 2 of them are in the NBA, another has been drafted by an NBA club and numerous ex-AIS players are having success in the NCAA and Euopre he's been doing his job as well as any other AIS Coach.

Anything can happen at a World Championship tournament. Goorj never had success at World Championship level but yet was and is considered the best and most successful NBL coach ever.

Like it or not Clarke IMO is a better "Coach" than either you (Joyce) or Staker. Clarke also doesn't come with the baggage that you (Joyce) or Staker does.

Great result for the club.

Reply #272100 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Great post Anon 100.

Reply #272107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clarke also hasnt been dumped by his two recent nbl clubs. joyce's shills - you gain zero from this. the coach is signed now. hoops readers arent making the decision anyway.

Reply #272108 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Time will only tell if he is better than joyce and stacker. My point was that i dont think its correct decision , buti hope he does well for the 36ers.

Reply #272110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers clearly believed he is better than you or Staker.

Time will show nothing as neither will be in the NBL competing against Clarke.

Move on you had your chance and the club, thankfully chose someone else.

Reply #272115 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

I am not brendan joyce anon

Reply #272122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754