Isaac
Years ago

Kings plan to build around dominant centre

Sydney Kings coach Ian Robilliard is targeting a dominant big man and plans for his reborn franchise to play an uncompromising style of basketball.
Renowned for being a hard-nosed player himself, Robilliard was not about to make any apology for fashioning a team in his own image.

"I think we need a very dominant five man (centre) in the team and play an uncompromising style of basketball, we will be competitive," he said.

He made it clear he was not content to settle for a season of mid-table mediocrity and wanted to take the Kings straight back to the finals.

"We've got to aim for that, I'm not coming in here to come middle of the road, I don't think people in Sydney would expect that either," he said.
Read the full article: ABC Sport - Kings look to rule from the opening tip

Any thoughts on who they might target as that dominant centre?

None of the current NBL centres would be confidently classed as overly-dominant. Anstey was MVP-calibre but retired. Chris Burgess was at that level a few years back. Luke Schenscher has been a bit up and down, but had some strong games in his season with Adelaide. Nathan Jawai has been rumoured as a target and fits the bill.

Matt Knight and Julian Khazzouh could return, but would either really be quite that strong? Presumably Ogilvy will try for the NBA. Nevill? Baynes? Maric?

Topic #22633 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

Cooper?

Reply #272434 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Schenscher? Oh sorry, I thought it said dormant centre.

Reply #272436 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Matt Neilsen?

Reply #272437 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

It's a pretty risky plan I reckon. Dominant centres, especially imports are rare commodities and as such are very expensive.

The NBL is not a beat-em down, throw it into the low-post type of league, it's more free-flowing and therefore guards tend to flourish more. Anyway, I'm interested to see how this plays out if they do in fact get "dominant" centre.

Reply #272438 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Reminds me of the story when they got Acie Earl a while back. I'd be going after Jawai.

Reply #272439 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Ben Allen from St Marys?

Reply #272440 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Sam Harris!

Reply #272441 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm thinking it must be Jawai but it's not as though he'd have specific ties to Sydney. Could put them in a bit of a bidding war as almost any team would like to get him.

Would you call Nielsen a "dominant centre" or refer to him as a "big" instead? Might be something in the choice of words.

Reply #272442 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dominant centres have been few and far between. Bradtke, Rogers and Anstey were all legitimately dominant at various stages, and just very good at others.

Ben Pepper had flashes of dominance when in NZ, as did Schenscher in 09, while Jawai showed he had the potential to dominate in his rookie year. Burgess was mentioned by I dont think he dominated against the better teams from memory.

The biggest thing you want from a centre is to dominate the boards and be an intimidating presence defensively. The guys who could fit that bill are Nevill, Jawai and Baynes as far as Aussies go.

Reply #272443 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ben (rhymes with Pelmeth) if it doesn't clash with his NBA commitments.

Isaac - why is his name still out of bounds?

Reply #272444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because Thomas Schmidt is still a griefer.

Reply #272445 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Schmidt - rhymes with... ;)

Reply #272446 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

It would good to see Baynes, Nevill and Jawai all playing in the NBL next season.

It would boost the profile of the NBL.

These are currently the better australians who have failed in getting a NBA spot.

Rather then loosing them to Europe.

Hopoefully Joe Ingles will return to the NBL as well

Reply #272447 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

JAWAI isa Project in the NBA there are plenty of teams keen on signing him for a 1 year extension he wont be back in australia if he don't make the NBA it will be D-League or Europe, why would he want to come play here for 50k a year seriously

Reply #272449 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

depends how big the brown paper bag is

Reply #272450 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Well if Basketball Australia wants this league to be taken seriously by the basketball community then they need to find a way to convince these type of players to return to Australia.

Reply #272453 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

maybe amare stoudamire if he opts out of his contract this summer?

Reply #272454 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Shaq is out of contract also

Reply #272456 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

From what i hear that if worst comes to worst in the nba and doesnt pick up another contract he wouldnt mind coming back playing in the nbl..... doesnt wanna go back home though,,

Reply #272458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Manute Bol?

Reply #272460 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy has 1 more season of college ahead of him.

I would think the Australian centre's being considered would be:

- Nathan Jawai
- Luke Nevill
- Aron Baynes
- Luke Schenscher

Maybe a potential import is also a chance?

Reply #272461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai would only get a contract with a small club in Europe. He does not have the skill to get it done in the Euro League! There are way better players playing in Europe that do not want to sit on the bench in the NBA.

Reply #272462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ater Majok

Reply #272464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interested to see this Michael Boone play in the high Stakes Hoops competition hes is 7'2.

Reply #272465 | Report this post

kingworld  
Years ago

Nate Jawai would be an excellent signing......Ater Majok.... you must be joking......a bench player at best

Reply #272469 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Jawai's mother and much of his family lives in Sydney.

Reply #272471 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Wang Zhi Zhi...... seriously

Reply #272472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes is a stiff, come on now.

Reply #272481 | Report this post

Magics  
Years ago

Jawai has been getting interest from Italy Milan, partizan, maccabi tel av viv. And a couple teams in Spain. Are they small euro clubs lol.

Reply #272482 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Baynes may be many things but a stiff is certainly not one of them. In 41 games for Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius this season he averages 10.1 pts at an efficient 62.5%, 4.1 rbds and 0.9 blocks. Most remarkably, he achieves these numbers in a brief 14.7 minutes per game. This speaks of an exceptionally visceral player able to make a quick impact on the game.

The downside to this is his inability to stay out of foul trouble. Baynes averages 3.5 fouls per game. By way of comparison, Aleks Maric averages 3.1 fouls but plays almost 10 minutes per game more than Baynes. In 41 games Baynes has fouled out 12 times. Four of those times incredibly were within 4 minutes of play.

So until he works out his defensive woes he can hardly be considered an option as a franchise player as he can't stay on the floor long enough and puts you in the penalty situation too quickly. But as a high impact sixth man perhaps, you could do far worse.

Reply #272536 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

not a big but just wonder what's the chance of Barlow going to Sydney. I don't think he enjoys Spain, but don't think he can get back to the Tigers. So any chance with Sydney?

Reply #272580 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His club, CAI Zaragosa are two games clear and looking likely to be promoted to the ACB, and Barlow is in talks with them about a contract for next year. A big honour to be wanted as an import for an ACB team.

I dont think Barlow will be a real long termer in Europe but I dont think we'll see him back just yet.

There is a good interview with Barlow on the Basketball Australia website where he talks in depth about it, and gives the NBL a great pump up too.

Reply #272583 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I see Wade Helliwell is ranked 8 in new NBL player rankings now for this season.

Reply #272584 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I actually know him personally, and heard he don't really enjoy it. he's a very big 'home' person. that's why he left Sydney.

Reply #272588 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Barlow doesnt really enjoy the city he is in, but he said if he doesnt re-sign with Zaragosa (and they are a very rich club who could make it well worth his while)he will look for another club in Spain.

He also said he really, really misses Melbourne and cant wait to get back at the end of April, so you are spot on there.

Reply #272596 | Report this post

Dean  
Years ago

No ones mentioned Matt Burston whose a free agent now. Not exactly a defensive force, but if he can stay healthy i would rate him as the best center in the league offensively.

Reply #272604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean, I think you will find the Blaze have mentioned Burston more than a few times over the last few weeks, look for an announcement there very soon!

Reply #272615 | Report this post

luke  
Years ago

chris mihm

Reply #272781 | Report this post

jason ellis  
Years ago

Befor Khazzouh left for Europe he averaged almost 16 points 11 rebounds and 2.5 blocks for Sydney. Is that not dominate??

Dont think they could get him though heard he is earning good money in Europe and is set to head to Spain next season

Reply #273260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is burston the best offensive centre, when he cant create his own shot? all his shots come from dishes, rebounds, etc...

Reply #273270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754