Isaac
Years ago

Breakers release Forman from contract

From Boti's column today:

New Zealand has released for-mer 36ers forward Oscar Forman with two years left on his NBL contract.

Without trying to be clever, at 28 it's probably time for the 205cm "Big 0" to start playing as a fourman and turning his lethal threepoint shot into a bonus, not his bread-and-butter.
Took a backwards step with the 2009/10 season (7.7 PPG, 2.7 RPG) and faced growing competition at SF from Tom Abercrombie. The Breakers had Tony Ronaldson retire from the PF spot but will presumably work hard again to capitalise on the window of opportunity presented by CJ Bruton and Kirk Penney in the team - an import PF, or someone else?

Forman is now a free agent and rated 7 points under the NBL points scheme.

Topic #22640 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Isaac. When Oscar's jumpshot is money he would be of value to any team, but when it is inconsistent like last year he becomes a liability on the court, especially as he is very much a confidence player.

I am sure he'll find a home though, could be a good sixth man on the team Corey Williams ends up playing for, or perhaps a back up big for the Hawks?

Reply #272505 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I was really surprised how well he played for the Boomers in the presason whilst playing at PF.

He crashed the boards, especially the O boards and played some pretty good D.

I think he'd be an asset for anyteam IMO... but 6ers would have to be front runner, right?

Reply #272506 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i dont want the wildcats to get him!

Reply #272511 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Interesting to see if he fits Clarke's line-up at all.

Reply #272515 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think he is what the Sixers need. Their weaknesses last year were athleticism (particularly in the front court), ball handling and basketball IQ. Oscar isnt a fix in any of those areas, even if he is a reasonable rebounder when committed to it and certainly not the dumbest player in the NBL.

Reply #272519 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends who they keep from last year. If Ballinger and/or Holmes plus a rookie PF, that could limit his opportunities here. In Perth, they'd likely keep Redhage and Wagstaff. Cairns have just locked in Rychart and Grabau (who'd play some SF). And so on. Wonder how many changes other teams will make?

Reply #272522 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The best fit could be Melbourne or Sydney both teams are looking at building a team. Melbourne lost both McKinnon and Worthington and Sydney need players

Reply #272525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would like to see him play under McLeod, I think Gordie would use his offensive skills as well as anyone.

Reply #272531 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

best of luck to Oscar no matter where he ends up, he will be an asset to any team that signs him.

Reply #272535 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

So the breakers look like this
Bruton
Penney
Boucher
Henare
Webster
Pledger
Abercrombie

They are going to need some impressive imports to improve on a team last year tipped to be the winners. Are they trying to save money after splashing out previously??

Reply #272551 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Add Rickert (naturalised) and two ok imports or an import and Vukona to that team and it looks pretty good.

Remember that last year the Breakers finished two games off top spot despite having one import for much of the year, Penney missing 9 games and Bruton doing no pre-season and not being on top of his game as a result.

Reply #272555 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

It doesnt matter how bad the breakers roster looks

any team which has Penney in it will be succesfull

Reply #272558 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

another year older, those old man injuries don't heal any better after another preseason though

Reply #272563 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure where Webster fits in to be honest. They had success with Braswell in as a combo guard to rest Bruton and play some Penney at SF. That again (which they may well not do), plus Bruton, plus Henare (coming off a decent season) and Penney at his natural SG position, plus Webster as well seems a bit over the top (especially when you consider that Abercrombie is a SG/SF and Boucher can defend to SG/SF as well).

If the thrust is for more Kiwi content, then I reckon I'd find room for Trueman before Webster. He started on the outer but was a pretty decent, raw contributor for a rookie by the end of the season.

Could've gone with:

Bruton/Henare
Penney/Import
Abercrombie/Boucher
Import/Trueman
Rickert/Pledger

Might be that they had a contractual commitment to Webster and Pledger from last year - that was hinted at it in the media, but it was hard to know if that was locked in or just something they wanted to do.

Reply #272564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To quote Bart Simpson, "APRIL...".

Reply #272570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would you have an import as a back up to Penney. I'm with you Banker - he is a great player

Reply #272571 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Hard to fathom why they would retain Henare and Webster (makes it hard to find room for import PG). Half roster will be guards.Worked at end of last season because Braswell was so good. I'm told he is big bucks and hard to see Breakers affording him over whole season.

Kept Oscar a year too long. If he was ahead of Vukona then that is just ridiculous. He needs a team where spot shooting is his only role, maybe Perth but they won't have room.

Reply #272576 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think it was really that Braswell was so good (he was good at setting the table but no star) it was just that they added another good player to a team that was losing close games. They could have signed any decent import and it would have madew a similar impact IMO.

They have kept Webster because he has a massive upside, whereas Trueman might become a solid backup, and will be a good 6'9-6'10 signing for someone you would think.

I think with Bruton, Henare and Webster their import spot is best used on a versatile forward who can carry the ball a bit, rebound and defend.

Reply #272577 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

No point having an academy for young players if they aren't ever gonna get a shot. Webster has played some great ball this season in the NZ NBL and trains hard with the Breakers.
I agree on the comments regarding Truemans continued improvement throughout the season, i am a bit disappointed he may not get a shot this season.
Be good to see big Alex Pledger get his share of court time this season, he has a lot of potential.
Penney is playing small forward in the Dleague and I can see him playing that spot at the Breakers again this season with CJ again at Shooting Guard. I would try retain Braswell as the Point as he slotted in well and spread the floor well

Reply #272671 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In most leagues 6'5 is big enough to play the three if physically strong which Penney is these days, and Bruton is deadly if you have the luxury of playing at the two, or at least as a point guard who doesnt have to carry the ball so much so opposition defences cant beat the crap out of him like they did last season (he is too old to cope with that all season long now).

Having said that, they already have Henare who can play 20 minutes per game at the point (as he did at the end of last year and while Penney was out injured - the Breakers two most successful stints), so I would suggest getting a versatile import who can play as a 3-4 but also carry the ball against forwards, and is athletic enough to be a strong rebounder, an area where the Breakers really broke down last year.

Having Webster, Bruton, Henare and an import point guard is just wasting the resources available to you IMO. Webster finally looked to be getting the idea of playing a team offence at the end of last year and waiting for shots to come to him. I expect him to play some meainful minutes this year and develop rapidly over the next couple.

Reply #272678 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754