Beantown
Years ago

HSH Day 2: Monarchs v Fleet

Real competitive game so far. Goulding took over the game for a stretch at the end of the 1st/ early 2nd. Ridiculous play to dive and save a loose ball, getting it to a team mate under the basket for the layup in one motion.

Goulding and Farley have had no conscience, bombing away quite successfully from downtown.

Surprisingly, the Fleet have also won the boards as well as the turnover battle and have a heap more shots than the Monarchs. Which is a good thing, because the Monarchs length has made it hard for the Fleet to drive for easy shots. Only Goulding and Luettgerodt have been able to get to the basket and draw fouls. Schenscher has been able to score in the post, so keeping him on the floor will be key for the Fleet to hold on to this game in the 2nd half.

O'Gallagher has been good for the Monarchs. I thought when he went off, the Monarchs offence broke down and they had that scoring drought which allowed the Fleet to break away.

Lance Allred was looking ominous early, but surprisingly Galen Young has not had much impact so far.

Topic #22684 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best of all Hodge is stinking it up! Did you see him in a time-out a bit before half time? He basically took over Al Green saying 'we gonna win this, we gonna win this' he was real fired up!

Reply #273195 | Report this post

Nard Dog  
Years ago

Maher had the perfect chance deck Hodge but didn't.

Reply #273196 | Report this post

Nard Dog  
Years ago

Schench still getting no love from the referees.

Reply #273198 | Report this post

Nard Dog  
Years ago

Julius Hodge "don't gamble on defense, foul them and fuck them up"

Reply #273201 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Fleet win.

All is well in Basketballdome.

Reply #273207 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

awesome... so I just got home after being kicked out for having an offensive shirt visible to the people in the stadium and people watching on TV... apparently having a shirt sitting on the chair with "Hodge Is A Wanker" is offensive and warrants being kicked out! Oh, but better yet, if the games hadn't been shown on TV I wouldn't be getting kicked out... management of the event/dome are a bunch of tools for this... not to mention refusing to show me conditions of entry!

but the first 3 quarters have been great, and hodge was sucking it hard... Luke dominated inside, and that PG for the Fleet was ripping it up with Hodge and injecting some life into the game... too bad Foreman and Maher didn't smack hodge when they had the chance!

Reply #273208 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ken Cole was always a very good barometer. He towers above them all. You are not going to see any more like him.

Reply #273209 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great game from two very good teams tonight. Both teams wanted this badly. Gotta give Hodge some credit, he dragged the Monarchs back into it with some relentless scoring.

Is Farley still classed as an import? If he's not he should still be playing NBL. The guy still has serious game. I think he may have gone wire to wire in this one, guarding Hodge for large stretches and still having the energy to be the Fleet's main player in crunch time.

I liked Jackson again. He's a real competitive guy and showed he could score in the paint, as well as make the three tonight. My only question mark is whether he is as fit as he should be. As Xztatick said yesterday, he was complaining a lot about his calves or something in the first game and then he ended up leaving tonights game at a crucial juncture after he copped a knee to his leg. Possible point guard option for the Sixers though I think.

Also liked O'Gallagher for the Monarchs. Different type of point guard to Jackson. Not as strong or good defensively, but has nice speed, gets to the basket, can shoot and find open players.

Goulding had a massive game for the Fleet, getting the lead that they never relinquished. Youthful exuberance got the better of him, Hodge suckering 3 fouls out of him in about 30 secs in the 3rd, which kept him out for a large stretch of the 2nd half. But other than that he was awesome. Best Aussie player on the floor I thought.

Trueman looked solid again. I wouldn't complain if the Sixers brought him in as a backup big.

Schenscher too damn tall for the Monarchs. Fleet failed to use him enough down the stretch which could have cost them game at one point, but overall he had a big impact and played well.

Mahersy showed his classy nature once again by choosing not to hammer Hodge on a fast break.

Overall, I can definitely see these two teams squaring off again in the Final.

Reply #273211 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

first time i have seen big luke with his hair cut......can't help but think he looks very much like 'big bird' off sesame street.

Reply #273212 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Was like watching Michael v Kobe all over again. Willie v Julius. Luke Skywalker v Darth Vader. Good v evil. Good won. Wahoo.

Reply #273214 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thats too bad Ricey. I would have thought they could have just warned you and asked you to put the t-shirt away. Bit hard to complain about offensive language when both Hodge and Goulding clearly used the f word in timeouts!

Camel, couldn't agree more. Great to see two assured coaches consistently communicating a simple, clear message to their players. Well coached by both Ken and Al tonight.

Anyone hear the commentators mention early on that Cole played at LSU way back in the early 70s? Apparently he played with guys like Pistol Pete and they mentioned a few other legends I can't remember that he played with and against back in the day.

Reply #273215 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Moses, only difference was, this 'Kobe' couldn't shoot!

Reply #273216 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

they told me off when i came in saying i couldn't wear it, but i wasn't wearing it!... was some stupid lame ass rubbish... and they wonder why basketball is a joke in this country!... you can watch people spit, punch, swear and all the rest on footy, but bball won't allow a simple shirt!... what ever happened to freedom of speech lol

Reply #273217 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

wank·er? [wang-ker] Show IPA
-nounChiefly British and Australian Slang: Vulgar.
a contemptible person; jerk.
a male masturbator.

is that really that offensive lol...

on another note... Farley and Hodge was a good matchup too, well it was for Fleet!
Can't see Fleet losing this comp at this point

Reply #273218 | Report this post

Dept  
Years ago

Reply #273219 | Report this post

Years ago

Ricey ur as big a wanker as hodge, so shut up for once.

Reply #273220 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

lol 455... lol

Reply #273221 | Report this post

bear the 2nd  
Years ago

Ricey, I can't believe they would kick out 2% of the crowd by removing you from the stadium. From a distance I'm sure your shirt also looked like an extra person, so that makes 4%. A lack of insight in my opinion.

Ulius Dodge had a lot of points but when you camp in the paint on offense, play no defense and are there just to rack up stats your team isn't going to win. If only his passion in timeouts was replicated on D - they should have subbed in Al.

Reply #273222 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

also,i think i saw 'bert and ernie'.
'mean' al green was bert and ernie/miss piggy was ken cole.

Reply #273223 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

lol bear...

how many times did he just drop the shoulder and hope for a call! who was the guy with the long hair for Fleet? he started talking shit to Hodge at one point too

Reply #273224 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Dept- well said !

Reply #273225 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Have to agree with Dept on this one....

Reply #273226 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

What a beautiful night! Just beautiful.

I made sure I had a seat right behing the Monarchs bench (must've been near Nard Dog) and got in the cockhead's head right from the get go. As soon as I called him a wanker the first time Green pulled him over and told him to ignore me and to not even look at me, as well as telling me "Don't make me come up there, I get violent". Lol Al.

Unfortunately Judas didn't take his advice, I had him turning aaround to talk shit back to me over and over again. One time he was on the bench standing up shouting to his teammates on a fast break, I said "They can't pass to you on the bench you idiot" and he went nuts haha. Ahh good times.

Seriously though, it was hard to have much to say in the second half, he was just cherry-picking against Goulding all half. But as usual, if the cancer scores 30+, his team loses. His turnover at the end of the game (about his 8th I think) was very costly and I told him.

And I did it all without swearing! Bow to my heckling skills!

Also got into an argument with Al Green over who would win a 3pt shootout but that's another story :P

I would happily have Willie back at the 36ers if we needed a scoring SG. He's still got the touch and his D has been much better than his final year here.

Goulding is a flat out gun. Shooting and hustle were his standouts.

Troy Jackson was far better tonight, apart from the injury concern Beantown mentioned, he was fantastic.

For the Monarchs, O'Gallagher was their best. Looks a really solid all-round PG.

Reply #273227 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Nah, Hodge was by far their best...or did you forget the 33 points and the fact he dragged his energyless team mates back from a 20 point gap. He probably would've pulled off the comeback win all by himself if they didn't go into the "powerplay". Down just 103-97 after easy Hodge basket after easy Hodge basket, they pulled up for 3 straight threes just to try get those 4 points...it ruined the game - and don't be sour, Julius can flat our BALL! On both ends to.

Having said that, where did Goulding come from? He is an awesome player.

Reply #273230 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"On both ends to."

Gotta call bullshit on that last line, Jules.

Reply #273231 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

XztatiK you were loving it hey! I was sitting a few rows behind the Monarchs bench and there was only one person really getting stuck into Hodge so i'll assume it was you. The funniest thing was when I was listening into the bench during the games and a few of the players were referring to Hodge as Judas! (Dang Judas has gotta pass the rock!!! etc) Talented team but too many ego's.

One thing for sure, the sixers management have no excuses in getting two quality imports this season because there were plenty on display today.

Reply #273232 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"The funniest thing was when I was listening into the bench during the games and a few of the players were referring to Hodge as Judas!"

Haaahahaha that's awesome I didn't hear that. And yes, I certainly was loving it :D

Reply #273233 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

why did forman see so much pine time? with Goulding in foul trouble I expected to see more of him. He recently played for Australia and cant get more than 15 minutes in this tournament?????

Great game, got to give Hodge credit he played well. He can do it all except hit jumpers, and he backed up a lot of his talk with his play.

Glad Fleet got up, still feel the Monarchs have a better side on paper but thats why you play the game. I was a big critic of Farley coming back but he showed he still has game and is in great shape. Goulding is a star and a future Boomer, love his game and his not afraid of anybody attitude. Im a definate +1 for bringing big Luke back, love his game.

Reply #273234 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

What was the crowd like? I missed the game? Was it an improvement?

Reply #273235 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

About double, spurs.

Reply #273244 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

was probably 200 at the game today... expect that to drop again tomorrow though... would be smart to hand out a lot of tickets... don't see the sponsors rushing back next year if it doesn't pick up

Reply #273247 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

He doesn't have to be a lockdown defender, but he isn't as clueless on D as you claim him to be. Not close.

Reply #273249 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Ricey agree it was a shocking move by security, i was one of the blokes sitting in front of you,c'mon it was just for laughs.

Overall the level of comp has been good, how about 3 import rule for the NBL next season?

Reply #273257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those of you who think that hodge had a bad game have no idea. He was the stand out player for the monarchs and he worked hard to get them back in the game. You don't have to like the guy, but give credit where it's due.

It amazes me that people are still so worked up over hodge - get a life and move on. Why waste your energy on it because I'm sure Brett Maher isn't.

Reply #273258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids get in free tomorrow when with an adult.

Reply #273262 | Report this post

bear the 2nd  
Years ago

I'm sure most people who have played the game at all levels have played with someone who is all about the stats. He's the first person grabbing the scoresheet to check how many he got after the social game, even though you went down by 30. He lacks the insight to see that gambling on defense and being the first down the court does not make you a "hustle" guy. Watch out if he is having an off game, because he will just keep going to the hole to "get his" despite the turnovers. These guys often look great in training, and are awesome street ballers, but can't get it done in organized basketball against organized defense. The lose all tract of any defensive system and destroy the team.

Dodge is a "pro" version of that guy. His professional record speaks for itself. Talented guy - team can't win.

Reply #273265 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So X, should we start a campaign for 'Jax the Axe' to the Sixers? He make me think of Darnell Mee in Tony Allen's body. Like his aggression and hustle. Makes good things happen for the team on a regular basis.

Ricey, I don't think anyone directly answered your question. The guy with the long hair was Goulding. He plays for the Blaze and really took a big step forward this year. Unfortunately he is still contracted to the Blaze and I don't imagine they'll be letting him go anytime soon. Whoever said future Boomer I think is on the money. The kid is smart and a flat out scorer. Would love it if the Sixers had a SG as good as him.

Reply #273271 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh yeah, just wanted to mention that Oscar played really well tonight. I haven't seen him hustle that hard too often. Showed he can hold his own for rebounds against some athletic opposition and even had a highlight reel block on Millard. If the Sixers sign Ballinger, I think backups of Oscar and Trueman or similar could be pretty solid.

Reply #273272 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

I thought Oscar was great on defense and used his body well at both ends of the court and can't understand why he did'nt play the last quarter, when the Monarchs got close.

Goulding is a great young player (is he in the Boomer's squad?) , has an allround game,30 points and spent a long time on the bench because of some doubtful fouls and Willie's shooting and much improved defence were highlights.

Reply #273275 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I'm sure most people who have played the game at all levels have played with someone who is all about the stats. He's the first person grabbing the scoresheet to check how many he got after the social game, even though you went down by 30. He lacks the insight to see that gambling on defense and being the first down the court does not make you a "hustle" guy. Watch out if he is having an off game, because he will just keep going to the hole to "get his" despite the turnovers. These guys often look great in training, and are awesome street ballers, but can't get it done in organized basketball against organized defense. The lose all tract of any defensive system and destroy the team.

Dodge is a "pro" version of that guy. His professional record speaks for itself. Talented guy - team can't win."

Perfectly put. Judas plays for stats more than any other player I've seen. He flies out of nowhere for uncontested rebounds that his teammate would've had anyway, he only passes to get an assist or avoid a turnover, and on D he stands at the top of the key and waits for the fast break (this is how half of his points came today). A high steals count does NOT make him a good defender. Ask him to stay in front of his man without gambling and he's weak as piss. Cancer.

Beanie, not 100% sold on him just yet but we could certainly do worse. Agree on Jeremiah and Oscar.

Tossing up whether to go tomorrow, I did tell Judas "I'm here all week"...

Reply #273280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

while on the refereeing, I agree Goulding's fouls were shit but I thought the NBL/WNBL refs were great today.

Shame they had to lower themselves to the retired guys like that Maidment fella.

What a way to ruin a great game. No one is there to see you make bogus calls buddy. Ball hit the side of the board JUST PLAY ON!

Saw Carolyn today too, she looked super fit and did a good job, although called a bit too much for the event that it was if you ask me.

As for the fat baldy bloke. I hope there's an oxygen mask at the Dome because he was 30kgs over weight and was average. Called more fouls then both his partners combined and the calls were almost all wrong. Does he even ref ABA? The old fella was better and he hardly got up and down the court.

Overall pretty good standard of refereeing though.

Reply #273282 | Report this post

Yep!!!!  
Years ago

Jackson holds the ball too long. I get frustrated watching him play. He argues a lot with his team and his body language is terrible. Not an NBL import (if quality is wanted) Farley looking good on the court and I have enjoyed Homocide.

Reply #273284 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Tossing up whether to go tomorrow, I did tell Judas "I'm here all week"...'

Absolute gold!! love your work XztatiK.

Reply #273285 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

X - I agree that we probably need to see a little more of Jackson, just thought I'd throw it out there because I've really liked what he has brought defensively.

Yep - I guess you were at the game? I didn't pick up any of the arguing with team mates stuff from the TV. Thought his body language was good though - he took it to his opponents all night! Nice change to see that after the Sixers lack of toughness this year.

Anyone else got any thoughts on Jackson?

Reply #273291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apparently Hodge and rest of the import guys are out on the town tonight... good to see they are focusing on winning lol

Reply #273296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only tonight?

They get on the gas more than anyone would know...

Reply #273298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would explain why he stinks it up so much... Maybe he should realise he ain't no rodman!

Reply #273299 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm still beaming - and X's recounting of the crowd abuse has made me twice as happy. How easy is it to get in that peanut's head? Way to focus, douche.

BMC > JfH and all is well.

Reply #273313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754