BanksOpen
Years ago

HSH Day 2 Player Performance Wrap

Rush - They have one day left before heading to the club for a bottle of bub on Friday night!
25 Michael Boone - Had to laugh when he was the first guy back in D a couple of times and yelled at his teammates. Hope you graduated because hoops aint for you.
23 Lonnie Harrell - Behind Johnson this guy is a close second in the 'fool awards'. When interviewed his strongest asset is his passing ability in his own words. HAHAHA enough said.
9 Chris Brown - Played sparingly
22 Michael Rose - Hasnt caught fire yet, could it be the ball that seems to be slipping out of everybodys hands.
24 Brad Bridgewater - Had a couple dunks but has no post game, just bullocks his way to the hoop.
10 Sedale Threatt Jr - Similar to Homocide, no jumper. Stand off and he looses his assett - a running start.
11 Yusuf Qaafow - Horrible decision maker and as mentioned in broadcast too fast to even be of use.
12 Daniel Dillon - Along with Dann the real success story of the event. Put Carfino to shame saying he has no jumper. Its locked and loaded.
14 Thalo Green - I will give his defenders a hint for tomorrow "he only goes left", always manages to throw up some rubbish and score a couple points.

Fleet - The new favourites...
12 Troy Jackson - Enthusiastic but forced penetration for his own shot. When he was forced out they settled and finished well.
23 Willie Farley - Made big shots at the right times. Percentage down but looks at ease back in the city of churches.
15 Brett Maher - Had no legs on his jumper getting blocked a couple times and played limited minutes. Look for great impact later in week when money on the line.
21 Chris Goulding - Similar to Farley punted up plenty but hit some big ones and gives effort on the defensive end.
20 Riley Luettgerodt - Was shown to be out of his depth with a suspect mid range shot and not overly athletic.
24 Luke Schenscher - Did everything his team needed on the low block. Didnt always look for his shot off first entry pass too which was great to see.
7 Tom Daly - Didnt play
25 Chris Molitor - Didnt play
22 Oscar Forman - Looked disinterested in the change room prior to the game and carried that into the game. Scoreless if my memory serves me right.
32 Jeremiah Trueman - Came up with some big offensive boards and finished his one or two around the hoop.

Rays - The strugglers of the day, talent got them through.
25 David Fisher - Rarely played
14 Freddy Robinson - Didnt get minutes which was suprising because he showed some talent Tuesday.
11 Kevin Lisch - Big time, hit it when they counted.
13 Peter Crawford - Is apparently a good defender. Really dont see what the NBL coaches have for 10 years.
33 Tony Ronaldson - Got angry today when good team D locked him up on the post - first time I've seen it actually. Still did his bit as the lone big.
10 Damien Martin - Wasnt a real factor.
15 Adam Gibson - Hit a long 2 which counted for 4 and changed the whole complexion of the game. Was the only guard to be a factor along with D-Lisch.
20 Brad Hill - Up and down as he has been his whole career.
24 Ben Allen -Let down city... hope people dont expect him to do what Wagstaff did this year.
20 David Bowley - Mate you dont need a towel around your neck. Get the guys to sign your singlet and wear it tomorrow as the waterboy.

Cyclones - Unlucky but lack depth which showed.
21 Terrence Woodberry - Dont know what all the fuss is about. Inconsistent jumper and doesnt rebound well for a 6"6 2 man which everyone claims he is.
22 Mario Brown - Blue collar, went about his business and had a massive throw down.
14 Graeme Dann - Fantastic game for the most part, he faded a little late in the game when his team needed him most but played major minutes and was a beast on the low block.
10 BJ Carter - Was back to being Kings patient today knocking down the 3 ball and got to the cup with a nice hesitation move.
20 Clint Reed - His jumper wasnt going down today but always plays hard.
9 Deba George - Loves the shake and bake, reverse the ball.
24 Steven Broom - Was he actually there...
11 Josh Knight - Is he the best of the ABL?
12 Brad Gerlach - How did he get on the 6ers list at one stage?
25 Jordan Dodman - Must of pulled up sore as he didnt play as much and was a non factor.

Monarchs - The team which isnt as talented as everyone thinks. Just because you see a bunch of Americans and some who may have been good at one stage, times have changed.
20 Isiah Victor - Got manhandled in the post and did nothing at the other end.
11 Scott O'Gallagher - Four letter word - PASS. When your that small and get into the lane hand it off to the bigs.
24 Martinis Woody - Looked worse than yesterday just not upto the level.
12 Wayne Oliver - Contributed in the second half but got scared everytime he had the rock. That hook pass he does is horrible too, did it both days.
21 Ed Millard - Bitched to Al to get in the game and late in the game was a laughing stock.
15 Rashard Tucker - He is now the poor mans Hodge as he cant bully his way to the hoop like he once could.
22 Galen Young - He kept shooting it and fouled out like he would of if he played more than 20 minutes in the NBL this year.
13 Brad Williamson - Poor B-Rad stuck with all the brothers and put up a couple from range because he couldnt get a touch and just 4 mins in the first half.
14 Julius Hodge - His numbers were good because of the junk points and fact he shot it everytime he touched it in the second half.
23 Lance Allred - Stroke looks ok but limited minutes and another case of an average American who got a crack in the league. Good story though.

Coasters - Looked much better and got production across the board.
23 D'Lancy Carter - Drop the D in D'Lancy because he plays none.
10 Mike Helms - Scored when he wanted to and demanded more effort from his teammates on D, good signs.
11 Bennett Davison - Looked tough today hitting the jumper and went to the O boards. Still complained to the refs and didnt run back after a couple misses.
15 Sean Lampley - The run on Tuesday was enough for him as he barely played and looked hampered. Didnt score to put it in perspective and didnt even look like wanting to shoot it so you know somethings wrong.
12 Luke McMillan - Was solid in his minutes and had a few scores.
13 Kevin Ratzch - Loves a shot and gives effort but just not a percentage player. Took 3 shots in one possession at one stage and made none.
4 Brad Davidson -Played sparingly hitting one jumper.
7 Darren Ng - Missed some open looks but is serving his purpose in this format.
9 Derrick McDonald - Loves a shot and forced his way to the basket a few times. Played more with Davidson sitting.

Pythons - Homocide could have 50 and it still wont help.
10 Mark Bradtke - Looked in shape and just lacked touch. Sat in the middle and did what he his team required getting some post touches.
5 Tony Danridge - Nice hops and hopefully we see the best of him tomorrow as he only got in at half time.
11 Kevin Johnson - All I can do is laugh, another injury and he gets interviewed again saying "Im going back in, I need my contract"... Mate stop it please your a comedy act.
15 Harry Lum - Hit some shots but Im sure you could see someone at your local stadium running around on a Monday night with his ability.
23 Corey "Homicide" Williams - Playing 1 on 5 and got to the foul line plenty but 40 points and your team goes down means you may as well pass it once this tournament.
4 Dante Sykes - Words dont do this guy justice.
13 Geremy Robinson - Same as above
7 John Rillie - Worked his tail off, could still play a role in the NBL no question. Has always been a great rebounding guard and 30 in two games says enough.
9 Michael Florence - Save yourself the petrol for Saturday night and pull a sickie tomorrow.
8 Mike McDaniel - 40 years old and just enjoying hanging with all the brothers for the week.

Reef - Should be 2-0 but one decent player short.
14 Jason Cameron - Was great influence once again and knocked down the jumper.
8 Nathan Niesler - Got pressured way too easily and was a non factor.
13 Todd Blanchfield - 30pts one day, cant get some burn the next? Missed a couple chippies to start and was rarely sighted after that.
15 Blogoj Janev - Nice inside/outside pair of baskets but was visibly annoyed when Ryan dragged him. Should be played more in front of Esparza.
12 David Bartholomaeus - One nice hoop and played way too much in crunch time during the 4th.
9 John Fitzgerald - Will go all day but needed to put away the jumper after missing plenty.
10 Keith Borgen - I will take back what I said yesterday. Kid can go, I think yesterday was an act with him playing against Corey and trying to be some trash talking loud mouth. Very small but hit the jumper and got into the cracks. Was a real X Factor.
11 Jason Curtis - Played too much for his output. Has no jumper and missed a couple crucial lay-ups.
5 Anthony Esparza - Obviously relies on out muscling local players in QLD because he has no perimeter game. Very average.
4 Stephen Hoare - His jumper wasnt on today, thats just something you have to live with with Sneaky but still gave effort on the D.

Topic #22686 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

who the hell are you critising all these decent players I would like to see you out there. You have bagged all these imports and very biased to adelaide players. Look wake the f up, enjoy the basketball stop picking the bad points out of the players games instead looking at there good then you might enjoy these games. Absoulute rubbish analysis these players, your analysis is worst then julius hodges jump shot.

Reply #273246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, and boti nagy (and someone in the adelaidenow comment section) seconds ben allen is a star.... solid role player, but HES NOT A STAR!

Reply #273248 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

jeez fire up! I thought those were about right a few different things in my head but overall pretty spot on.
Ng had a terrible one though, and Blanchfields shot was off today.
Borgen played really well, does anyone know his height. 5ft 9 or 10maybe?

Reply #273259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

borgen was automatic i dont think i seen him mis a jumper brilliant shot selection. Surely graeme dann has to score a contract. Mario Brown also keeps you interested with his offensive boards and athletism. Cant wait for Danridge tommorrow though he was excitin when he came in especially straight off the plane.

Reply #273264 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps a bit harsh on a few players but spot on about most of them, especially Corey Williams. Except for a few of the Aussie NBLers and last season NBL inports, most of these guys will not get a NBL contract. The overseas players are either not quite good enough or are old and looking for a pension contract. Some can still play ok, but to be fair, it is hard to judge them in this format, with little or no time to know your team mates.

Reply #273266 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

BanksOpen, thanks for the analysis again. Thought you were a bit harsh on Oscar Forman tonight. He definitely scored a three in the first couple of minutes, but more importantly, he fought hard for rebounds against some athletic opponents and had a very good block on Millard.

I thought Troy Jackson was pretty good again tonight as well. Bit hit and miss with his jumper (his College profile shows the same thing) but still made a three and was a terror around the basket, abusing O'Gallagher and showing good strength and hustle to score amongst the tall timber. Doesn't turn the ball over much either and flat out harasses his opponents defensively all game long.

Thought you were a bit harsh on Hodge too. I don't like him, because of his past with Adelaide, but he dragged the Monarchs back into that game tonight. He kept finding ways to get free and get easy scores right through the 4th quarter. If it wasn't for him, the Monarchs would have been blown out.

Reply #273288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown, Jackson is crap.

Reply #273295 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

thought that was a pretty good wrap up... everyone is expecting the imports to be the best thing since sliced bread because they played college, WAKE UP! 90% of these guys are ABL standard and nothing more...
Hodge stank it up, and if Fleet had made some of their open shots in 3rd and 4th then Hodge wouldn't have got his open court cherry picking shots, which would have helped to blow the lead out...
thought forman did a bit better than you said however, he did muscle up inside when he needed to, but got called for some WEAK fouls!
Monarchs in general are just a jungle ball team and don't seem to have any idea how to play as a TEAM, and no excuses about not knowing each other well, because it isn't that hard to run a normal motion with off ball screens, cuts and drive and dish, instead this team just wants to get their own stats and try to pick up after their game!

Reply #273297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

who the hell are you critising all these decent players I would like to see you out there
Funny thing is that when BanksOpen first posted, I wondered if they were an ex-NBL person who had been scouting the games out of curiosity or interest in players.

Other than that, I think they've given a decent analysis - certainly better than anyone else here. Not everyone will agree with every single line, but they've obviously watched the majority of the HSH tournament so far and know what they're looking for (suggesting an NBL background to me).

If they seem down on some of the imports, it's because many don't seem great fits at NBL level. Where import players have shown promise, BanksOpen has been bullish on them - Borgen, Robinson, Brown, Helms, Farley, etc.

In other cases, you have a team stacked with imports (e.g., Pythons) which might sound exciting or intimidating, but the proof is in the pudding: they're yet to win a game. They've won one out of eight quarters.

Thought that Luettgerodt was a bit better than given credit for here.

Reply #273309 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

BanksOpen - appreciate the wrap mate, cheers - found them very interesting to read.

Reply #273311 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL Anon, that was stunning analysis of Jackson. You have shown me the error of my ways!

Isaac, I really like the effort of Luettgerodt too. Definitely a good glue guy, who is not bad at getting to the basket. I think last night showed that he has a suspect jumper though and so I don't think he'd score enough at NBL level to play as an import. If you could get him as an Aussie, I think he could be quite a useful player.

Reply #273316 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Didn't realise Luettgerodt was an import.
Definitely couldn't cut it in that role.
I assumed he was an aussie and could be a handy option off the bench.

Reply #273321 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just checked up and Riley is from Oregon and played at the University of Hawaii. Definitely an import.

Reply #273328 | Report this post

HSH  
Years ago

I too thought the report favours the Adelaide dudes.

Just to let you know, Sedale Jr led BigV in 3pt FG% 2 or 3 seasons ago. so to say he has no jumper is stupid. The dude is looking tired due to lack of conditioning (he probably is)

Ricey- to say these guys are ABL level is dubious. first of all most of the college recruits play very well in ABA level. secondly, the standard of this competition is extremely high because of the overall talents. Off memory even DMAC Jr use to average 15pts in ABA but look at him in these games.

Reply #273381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here are the "Adelaide dudes" you think were favoured:

23 Willie Farley - Made big shots at the right times. Percentage down but looks at ease back in the city of churches.
15 Brett Maher - Had no legs on his jumper getting blocked a couple times and played limited minutes. Look for great impact later in week when money on the line.
20 Riley Luettgerodt - Was shown to be out of his depth with a suspect mid range shot and not overly athletic.
24 Luke Schenscher - Did everything his team needed on the low block. Didnt always look for his shot off first entry pass too which was great to see.
7 Tom Daly - Didnt play
25 Chris Molitor - Didnt play
22 Oscar Forman - Looked disinterested in the change room prior to the game and carried that into the game. Scoreless if my memory serves me right.
20 Brad Hill - Up and down as he has been his whole career.
20 David Bowley - Mate you dont need a towel around your neck. Get the guys to sign your singlet and wear it tomorrow as the waterboy.
11 Josh Knight - Is he the best of the ABL?
12 Brad Gerlach - How did he get on the 6ers list at one stage?
25 Jordan Dodman - Must of pulled up sore as he didnt play as much and was a non factor.
4 Brad Davidson -Played sparingly hitting one jumper.
7 Darren Ng - Missed some open looks but is serving his purpose in this format.
Included Riley because he's playing here. BanksOpen wasn't overly kind to most of them! Only really Luke (playing really well), Willie (also playing well) and Darren (same again) got overly favourable write-ups, and most would've said the same thing.

Sure you're not just disappointed at the results or performances of some of the new imports you hoped might've been more dominant?

Reply #273408 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

soooo i'm confused... you just made my point look better HSH... these imports who have never played NBL are really not up to grade... start ABL and do well maybe, but bench NBL would even be a stretch...

oh and isn't DMAC JR born in OZ?

Reply #273426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754