Isaac
Years ago

Maher and Cattalini named in Boomers

The Boomers Australian Olympic Basketball team has been named and includes Adelaide 36ERS captain Brett Maher and former-Sixer Martin Cattalini.

It also includes Andrew Bogut who, at the age of just over 19 and a half years, becomes the second-youngest male Olympic basketballer for Australia behind Andrew Gaze.

The full team is:

David Andersen (Montepaschi Siena, Italy)
Andrew Bogut (University of Utah, US)
CJ Bruton (Sydney Kings)
Martin Cattalini (formerly Adelaide 36ers)
Shane Heal (C) (Makedonikos, Greece)
Brett Maher (Adelaide 36ers)
Matthew Nielsen (Sydney Kings)
John Rillie (Townsville Crocodiles)
Paul Rogers (Girona, Spain)
Tony Ronaldson (Perth Wildcats)
Glen Saville (Wollongong Hawks)
Jason Smith (Sydney Kings)

Topic #227 | Report this topic

Raymond  
Years ago

This team is a disgrace. How can CJ Bruton make the squad ahead of Stephen Black I guess that question answers itself he plays for the Kings. Also how is Ronaldson still in the side he had a disgraceful year last year still living of the 3 point shot from 8 years ago. What do you guys think of the squad? I cant see us getting anywhere near the top 4.

Reply #1618 | Report this post

Horatio  
Years ago

Why Black wasn't picked?
Could be...
a) With Rillie, Maher & Heal they don't really need another shooter.
b) But perhaps needed a more pure point (CJ) to back up Heal.
c) Talk that he injured his back at the Boomers camp and couldn't from then put in enough to warrant a spot.
and
d) Talk that he is intensely disliked by most other members of the Boomers team.

Reply #1645 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

wont get close to top 4...sorry!

Reply #1669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have to agree -- they don't look like a strong team.

I'd give most of the minutes to Cattalini, Bogut, Heal, Maher and Nielsen if he's making shots. Some good time off the bench for Rillie.
But I don't think Bruton should be in there.

Reply #1670 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

What happened to 5 bigs? Anderson, Bogut, Nielsen (3-4 spot), Rogers...we're going to be much too short.

Not even top 8.

Reply #1776 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754