Kent Brockman
Years ago

Kent Brockman's Hypothetical

The Hunter licence is moved to Melbourne to recreate the second team.

The new team recruits Anstey, Sam Mac and another big name free agent.

2 imports are picked up one a 2/3 spot the other a 1/2.

Phil and Steve are signed as coaches after the BS the sixers give them.

Phil and Steve take Jacob and Hill with them......

Topic #2272 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would holmes go with Smyth???

Reply #25625 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

And shortly after seasons end the team folds again as they didnt get the crowds or sponsorship to sustain the salaries that the players and coaching staff demanded.

Reply #25626 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stop, you're scaring the fans!

Anything's possible, but I think the 36ERS probably have the upper hand in negotiations with Smyth and will get him eventually. Still, I can't imagine he'd enjoy the job that much if he had to talk to the boss via anything bar radio interviews.

Statman, such a scenario could potentially kill both clubs I guess. Melbourne are barely supporting their current team and Adelaide's hardly going to have ticket sales go through the roof with news like that to start the season.

Reply #25627 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I agree Isaac - I just find it unfortunate that there is a franchise in trouble again - I certainly hope that we dont go the same way that soccer did over the last 10 or so years where basically the league and clubs shot themselves in the foot.
As for Smyth - I agree that the 36ers hold the upper hand - I just hope that noone does anything stupid to prove a point.

Reply #25630 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

If the 36'ers pay above the amount they are capable of paying the 36'ers will also go the way of the Pirates. The harsh reality is this. Pirates will not have a team in the NBL, West Sydney are in trouble, Brisbane have lost money for the last who knows how long and at some stage Groves will not want to keep shelling out like Longley. Vlahof has threatened at least twice to give the license away, this is the last go, Sydney can not take their medical people away with them to save money, Melbourne have never made money, Adelaide are broke can not pay their loans.
So considering all that, who is going to want to sign coaches to long term contracts? So Phil isnt in a strong bargaining position. Sign him for one year with options the same as the players, make him the highest paid if you want to $140,000. Phil isnt going anywhere and the only reason some of the players would leave Adelaide is if they were not wanted by Adelaide.

Reply #25644 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

Well said, Jay.

Reply #25656 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

yea i reckon if phil dont coach adelaide there wont really be a spot for him as most clubs have coaches signed other than hunter and i guess you cant really guarantee them lastin, so it looks like its adelaide or nothing for phil

Reply #25659 | Report this post

bling bling  
Years ago

you only get what you pay for...

do good business or pay the price....

Reply #25670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jay, it is definitely a sad state of affairs, but Perth did make a profit this year and, from the sounds of things, are on the right track.

I think Adelaide can get back up financially, but there are serious issues beyond Smyth's salary. In my opinion, there's a lot of focus of cost cutting on that team itself within the club -- reduced salaries for players, no player insurance, post-game meals being changed to sandwiches for a while there, an assistant coach gone (tough call, but I don't necessarily disagree with the decision itself), coaches salaries being pulled down, player's complimentary tickets for family being rescinded, etc. Yet for the most part, every player on the roster performed well. I think that looking for economical options within these areas is sensible (coaches salaries, or dropping an assistant coach [should've got him involved elsewhere -- look at the great work Ninnis is doing with Talking Hoops!], finding a more efficient caterer), but too many things would surely reduce the positivity of the players (remember Rees' reaction after the club wouldn't give his parents complimentary tickets for his 350th or whatever it was, or Willie's promised quilt saga!?)).

I'd look at the areas within the club that failed to perform, and look to trim the fat there.

Reply #25672 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Whats the deal with no free tickets to the players?When was the dome last sold out anyway?

Reply #25682 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I think you will find that the Melbourne (Tigers) had their second year in a row of making a profit - ok nothing huge, but profit is profit. From all reports they are on the right track, with a venue that supports their attendance figures and doesnt cost them a fortune.

Reply #25683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, being cheap. In their opinion, not giving tickets away to people who might otherwise buy them.

Reply #25684 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Without revealing my true identity (heck, half the world knows who I am anyway!), I've never had any trouble getting tickets from the guys in the team. That said, the team is tight as anything with this.

For crying out loud, Yogee, tell Phil and Bongohead to start thinking people first.

Still waiting for Vidmar's reply re us hooking up in a few years and saving this dying franchise with a little business savvy. ;-)

Reply #25694 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Jay,

Perth and Brisbane are both making profits.

Moses...I'm having a meeting with the 36ers management team next week. (And I wish I could work out who you are...I know I would know you)

Reply #25707 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Are yous ure Brisvegas is making money....have heard that Fast Eddie is thinking of cutting them loose as he is tired of getting the cheque book out.

Reply #25718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, heard they made a profit last season and again were looking good for this season.

I could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time)....as I can't recall where I heard this.

But if fast Eddie was sick of getting out the chequebook, he wouldnt be doing things like sponsoring the Blitz etc.

Reply #25730 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Oops, that was me

Reply #25732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754