tickle
Years ago

Current Boomers depth chart?

Just something I've been thinking about with the likes of Ben Allen, Chris Goulding and Daniel Dillon putting themselves firmly on the map of late.

I'm interested as to people's thoughts on the pecking order at each position. I've only done this very quickly, so please if I've missed people (or have put in players who have retired) please suggest and ridicule away.

PG: Mills/Gibson/Martin/Dellavedova/Dillon

SG: Newley/Harvey/Goulding/Ng

SF: Ingles/Barlow/Worthington/Redhage/Rush/Holmes/Stiendl

PF: Andersen/Jawai/Nielsen/Knight/Ballinger/Loughton/Majok

C: Bogut/Schenscher/Maric/Nevill/Allen/Baynes

Topic #22745 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Add in Anatoly Bose for the 2 spot - there's a fair chance he will go 2nd round NBA Draft next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes close to leading the nation in scoring next year for Nicolls State.

Reply #273895 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

I would take Stephen weigh before goulding . Or ng

Reply #273896 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Bose, that's a good pick. Certainly 2-guard is the position that we are shallowest, although Ingles and Barlow can be included in the mix.

I wanted to put Stiendl in there, he is still very young, but I think when he is a finish product he is going to be very, very good. Has excellent shot mechanics and is a smart player. Looks like Jasper McMillian Pittard.

Reply #273897 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Steindl is not in the Boomers mix for mine in the near future. And NG is nowhere near it at international level I'm afraid.

Dillon is also a way off but has potential, and is not a PG but a SG.

Your list is missing AJ Ogilvy who could play either C or PF depending on opposition.

Goulding has a promising future and I reckon is a potential Boomer down the track. Anatoly Bose should be on the chart at SG. And whilst not high up on the list just yet, will be there at some stage.

Reply #273898 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Ah yes, forgot about Ogilvy. That being said, I don't rate him too highly, lacks a lot of presence for me. I always say that he looks nothing like the '7"0 he is listed at, more '6"9.

Slot him in behind Nevill.

Reply #273899 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

I haven't heard of this Bose kid ? What about the young Hugh greenwood ? I think it is or something like that he's playing for emus I'm pretty sure and dominates nationals !

Reply #273900 | Report this post

SirCreate  
Years ago

The prob with Anatoly Bose, he plays in the Southland conference and the competition there compared to the higher conferences is terrible.

So you can't really rate him too high until we see him go up against better competition.

I don't list Steindl either for the immediate future but I think come the next Olympics he'll be a part of the squad, he just has a crapload of potentional and could end up in the NBA as well someday. He really started to show some terrific moves at the end of the NCAA season and his permiter defence has really ramped up a notch.

Other then the SG, the only really big question for me is whose gonna be the backup PG for the future behind Mills, but in the end I think its going to be Delly, he just brings too much to the table.

Reply #273902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are overrating steindl, he's a skinny shooter, nothing else...

Reply #273903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how many of you have actually seen Anatoly Bose play? A future draft pick? God no. And Clint steindl an NBA prospect? Now we are pushing the limits. He is a borderline nbl prospect.

Reply #273905 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I have seen Bose play and he definitely has a shot at being a 2nd round draft pick in 2011. I actually predict he will be player of the year in the Southland Conference next season, and I think he will go close to topping the national scoring like DJ Rod suggests.

Bose is a good sized shooting guard and can play big if required.Playing in the Southland Conference though is the one thing going against him.

Reply #273907 | Report this post

SirCreate  
Years ago

The Coach of St Mary's when asked about Clint Steindl said he's only the second NBA level player he's ever coached(and the other was Patty), the only thing he has to do is find a way to get it out of him.

The biggest leap in the NCAA alot of the time is in your junior season and I fully expect him to improve alot next season.. but like I said before I don't see him being a part of the Boomers this year or next, but after that who knows. He is skinny, but he's also 6'7 and long, has a beautiful jump shot, in the NCAA tourney he was pulling off some beautiful pull up jumpers and really was terrific on defense, the kids got it in him to be great, he just isnt there mentallyyet(he can disappear from games if he doesnt hit his first few shots or he gets a couple early fouls)

Reply #273908 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Players missed? Davidson, Khazzouh, Tragardh, Bruton, Weigh, Wagstaff, Petrie.

Reply #273910 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I have seen Bose play a bit and he is good! He went very well atthe last Boomers camp too.

He is already in the 2nd round mock drafts on most Draft sites!!!

Reply #273913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 man roster for world champs
Bogut/Andersen
Nielson/Jawai/Ballinger
Barlow/Ingles
Newley/Goulding
Mills/Gibson/Martin

Reply #273981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i doubt bogut will play

Reply #273987 | Report this post

djmojo  
Years ago

Ater Majok anyone????LOL

Reply #273989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ater majok? oh that benchwarmer who did jack shit in the stankovic cup, sure lets take him over nielsen, andersen, jawai, ogilvy, maric, ballinger, petrie, etc..!!!!

Reply #273993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the limit on naturalised players in an internationak team or is there no limit.

Reply #273999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think its one.... would ater count as naturalised though?

Reply #274003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well we had redhage and cj in our olympic squad so maybe its 2? Jordan who the boomers play in game 1 of fiba world champs have a lot of naturalised players.

Reply #274005 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

CJ is an Australian, not a naturalised Australian!!!! LOL!

Redhage was our one and only naturalised Aussie at the Olympics in Beijing. A national team in a FIBA event can only boast 1 such player.

Reply #274019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Take Ballinger or Redhage or countless others. No need for Majok when the Boomers are at anything near full strength - PF is probably the spot we have covered best.

Reply #274022 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

anon's 12 man team above forgot (hopefully) Worthington.

Martin is behind Dellavadova too IMO and Harvey would be way ahead of Goulding

Reply #274027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthington is bit old same as harvey. Goulding definately better then harvey especially with his youth and he is only gonna get better playing at this higher lever and martin should be ahead of dellavadova any day martin is an incredible defender and you already got mills and gibson to score.

Reply #274062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worthington is an '83 and at the height of his game. Big stretch to consider him "a bit old".

Reply #274063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damian martin>>>dellavedova

Reply #274064 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No Bogut.

Maric, Nielsen, Barlow, Newley, Bruton
Jawai, Andersen, Worthington, Ingles, Mills
Ballinger/Petrie, Gibson/Martin

Reply #274066 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Ballinger or Petrie? Why not Ballinger or Redhage? What does Petrie give you that Redhage does not?

Reply #274068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

defence, toughness

Reply #274069 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Last time I saw Maric play for the Boomers I wasn't very impressed. I think it may have been during BG's failed tournament against the New Zealand. Wait, I need to be more specific. ;) The first one, when Kendall, Markovic and Bruce were our guards.

But judging by Maric's European season, he's almost a lock. Hopefully he won't be another to experience the Andersen effect (good European form, poor international form)?

Reply #274073 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, bit early to make the call on Bogut don't you think? From what people have been saying about his injury, it should be healed in time for him to get fit. So the only question is whether the Bucks can convince Bogut not to play. I agree its possible he won't, but to date have heard nothing official to think Bogut has changed his commitment to the national team. So for now, I'm going to continue to assume he will play.

Reply #274092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont want bogut to play.. i want his injuries to fully recover so he'll be back to playing like an all star

Reply #274094 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Harvey did'nt look anywhere near the class of Goulding etc in the HSH tournament, was even missing his open shots which is his main attribute.

Reply #274145 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754