djmojo
Years ago

Props to HSH, OneHD, Footlocker, etc

On behalf of hoops fans a big thankyou to One HD, Footlocker, Jeff,Steve Carfino,Woodsy, Cal, and the other personalities involved in commentating/interviews JR,Corey,Kenny Cole, Bear...it was a great week of hoops and im hoping this will become an annual event.The way you guys put together the format, the sideline interviews & being in locker rooms listening in was fantastic.You guys beat the hell out of what Foxtel has being doing. It was really refreshing & entertaining and im hoping the new nbl on One takes notice of how to run bball on tv in a entertaining way. Thanks guys

Topic #22754 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

So many little things would've made a huge improvement, that's why I'm looking forward to this happening again next year and hope it was worthwhile financially.

But props to JVG and co. for correcting some of those issues mid-week.

Still left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after there was no dunk comp today.

Reply #273996 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

good call djmojo, 100% completely agree. awesome idea, which turned out fantastic. i too hope this becomes an annual event. and if it gets really popular maybe they should consider moving it between states each year?

Reply #274000 | Report this post

DC  
Years ago

You're right dj. I'm sure many thousands of hoop fans around the country feel the same way. While there's been general talk about the lack of attendance, but with the limited time and the One HD scheduling being offered, the Dome deal, it would have been a challenge to expect fans to pay $30 a day for 5 days. Yeah ticket prices should have close to free, or a sponsor to cover seating, But as HSH admits, it was an educational experience to put on such an event and they have learnt a lot.

Much respect to the HSH team, ONE, Footlocker, each and every team sponsor, and the coaches/players. It was a great event and has planted a positive seed in Aussie hoops moving forward.

Reply #274001 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i confess to knowing very little about how or why this tournament was born.

i can see that it must have been a financial disaster for someone,unless all stadium costs,referees,accom were donated along with airfares etc etc.

some where in amongst it all there is possibly a good recipe for clubs to whoo/trial potential imports and also a celebration of end of season.....dont know if those two things go together though!

as BA/NBL evolve financially there may be enough funds/interest around to host a post season, long weekend,of fun and import trialing.

for now.........not to sure !

Reply #274011 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great concept, and totally agree with some finetuning could back back even stronger next year.

Reply #274018 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

HSH and OneHD WILL be doing it again.
There are players that have attracted NBL interest.
Doing it during free-agency period seems ideal.
(Rillie is a good commentator.Farley a good player and Cole a good coach.)

Reply #274023 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well said djmojo, the tournament and the way ONE covered it, was a breath of fresh air for basketball in this country. Thanks to all involved and I hope you'll be back next year with something even bigger and better!

Reply #274024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine that Footlocker put in their $250-300k with maybe some surplus from prize money used for flights (the drafted imports, plus I think each team got two players flown by Footlocker). OneHD might've covered production costs? Groves might've made the Dome available free or cheap? Heard someone suggest that JVG's share was in the ticket sales.

Reply #274025 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Remember, 80k was also raised from selling the rights to the eight teams. That may have gone into covering some costs, while footlocker+ others paid out the prize money.

Reply #274029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they need to keep in one city and build it up and publicise with that one city each year. Moving it from state to state, it will be much harder to sell the idea and tickets to new cities each time. keep it in adelaide atleast for a while and build this thing up.

Reply #274030 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Yeah hopefully they do this againnext year. A lot of people were down on it originally, but anyone trying to do something positive for basketball in this country deserves the support of basketball fans. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Reply #274033 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

D16, of course. Well spotted. Could've covered some of those costs I mentioned plus things like Weslo (security), MC, stats, refs, etc. I imagine Spalding provided the balls free.

Reply #274040 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

You've gotta sell a lot of shoes to make $200k profit, I hope Footlocker saw it as worthwhile and will continue to support in the future.

I made my way along to the final, used the magic word to get one of the 150 free tickets on offer and had a great afternoon. It was really intersting how the week unfolded, early on you saw Homocide playing streetball trying to rack up numbers to the detriment of his team, but at the pointy end you had 2 teams playing balls to the wall trying to win the cash. Like everyone else, I really appreciated the event being on and hope it continues in the future.

Reply #274047 | Report this post

Masterad  
Years ago

Great tournament but I feel it started very slow....

I would like to download some of the games any ideas where I can find them?? Tried Google with soooooooo many variations on search criteria but no luck as yet....

Reply #274111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Your best bet will be an Australian TV torrent site and even then you might need to get very lucky.

If you're willing to pay, you could contact Media Monitors here in SA and ask if they can get you DVD copies, but I doubt it would be cheap ($100+ at least).

Reply #274113 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd been thinking sixers need a back up PG and Davo seems to fit.

Reply #274114 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

hey masterad, I recorded every game on dvd, if interested contact me through my website

http://bradssportgames.weebly.com

I have heaps of games on dvd, NBA, NBL ect.

Reply #274151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Your Mum', you gotta put some stuff up on Youtube!

Reply #274152 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

I dont have any programs to upload stuff off dvd's to computer. My editing program is also not working.

Reply #274167 | Report this post

Masterad  
Years ago

Thanks Your Mum I will take you up on your offer. And I may be able to send you programs to help you convert to avi etc.

Reply #274174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754