yogee
Years ago

Mee gets defensive again

NBL press release :

Interesting to note the only other player to win this award 4 times is Phil Smyth

Wollongong Hawks guard Darnell Mee has nabbed Best Defensive Player honours for the 2004/05 Philips Championship season, in the process becoming just the second player in National Basketball League (NBL) history to win the award four times.

Mee previously won the award as the best defender in the Philips Championship in 1999, 2000 and 2001 during his highly successful stint with the Adelaide 36ers. He was also runner-up in the 1998 NBL Best Defensive Player award.

Mee was named the winner of the 2005 award after receiving 65 votes, placing him well ahead of Sydney Kings star Jason Smith in second place with 39 votes. Smith and Mee are both currently competing for the NBL title on opposite teams as part of the 2005 Philips Championship Grand Final series. Perth's Rosell Ellis came third in the voting for this season's defensive honours with 18 votes.

The 198cm American joins Hall of Famer Phil Smyth as the only player ever to have taken out the league's prestigious defensive award four times.

Mee has been the pivotal figure in Wollongong's stifling defence all season and has helped the Hawks become the league's toughest defensive team. Wollongong allowed their opposition to score a league-low of just 94 points per game in 2004/05.

The former NBA Draft pick averaged 1.9 steals per game during the regular season, as well as 1.2 blocked shots and 5.7 defensive rebounds.

Mee will receive his trophy at the NBL's Annual Awards Dinner in Sydney on 24 March.

The winner of the award is determined by a poll of the head coach, assistant coach and captain of each team, with balloters unable to vote for members of their own club.

NBL Best Defensive Player  Previous Winners

Year Player Club

1980 Ray Wood (West Adelaide Bearcats)

1981 Ray Wood (West Adelaide Bearcats)

1982 Phil Smyth (St. Kilda Saints)

1983 Phil Smyth (St. Kilda Saints)

1984 Not awarded

1985 Not awarded

1986 Not awarded

1987 Leroy Loggins (Brisbane Bullets)

1988 Phil Smyth (Canberra Cannons)

1989 Phil Smyth (Canberra Cannons)

1990 Leroy Loggins (Brisbane Bullets)

1991 Terry Dozier (Geelong Supercats)

1992 Terry Dozier (Newcastle Falcons)

1993 Terry Dozier (Newcastle Falcons)

1994 Darren Lucas (South East Melbourne Magic)

1995 Darren Lucas (South East Melbourne Magic)

1996 Isaac Burton (Sydney Kings)

1997 Mike Kelly (South East Melbourne Magic)

1998 Mike Kelly (South East Melbourne Magic)

1999 Darnell Mee (Adelaide 36ers)

2000 Darnell Mee (Adelaide 36ers)

2001 Darnell Mee (Adelaide 36ers)

2002 Simon Dwight (West Sydney Razorbacks)

2003 Glen Saville (Wollongong Hawks)

2004 Ben Castle (Brisbane Bullets)

2005 Darnell Mee (Wollongong Hawks)

Topic #2278 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dunno where you get your info from Yogee, but Phil Smyth did not play for St Kilda in 1982 and 1983. He was in Canberra (unless Alzheimers is kicking in early for me!).

Canberra won in 1983 with he, Andy Campbell, Herb McEachin, Jerry Lee, Mel Dalgleish ..... do I need to go on ..... against Westies or Brisbane (I think it was West, then Brisbane in 1984).

Damn, I need to get a hobby.

Reply #25746 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Way to go Mee!

Legend there, hope to see him again in Sixer colours.

Reply #25750 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

why was the award voided for 3 years

Reply #25751 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Probably too expensive ! Could see that coming around again ... No money in the NBL for awards.. we can buy the players a soft drink after the game and give them $2 for bus fare..

Reply #25756 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Smyth played for St. Kilda in 1982 and moved to Canberra for the 1983 season.

Reply #25782 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Im a bit surprised Dave Thomas didn't make top 3.

Reply #25783 | Report this post

mathias jade  
Years ago

awesome write up Yogee. Its going to be sad when Mee retires. Hes getting on in age, the award shows though he can still play! go hawks this weekend!

Reply #25830 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As I mentioned.....that was an NBL press release.

I take no credit for the write up (which was done by NBL Media Manager Marc Howard)....nor do I take any blame for incorrect info :)

Reply #25842 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

darnell mee is the best defensive player in the league. I hope that he makes it to the nba once again. Man that kid is good....better than any kings player! how long are darnell's arms no wonder hes such a great defender hi adrian

Reply #26044 | Report this post

Adrian  
Years ago

I have to admit.....darnel mee is a great defender. Being a kings fan i am glad that we were able to contain him to some content...he is still dominant thought

Reply #26045 | Report this post

Carlos  
Years ago

I went to the kings hawks game. It was brilliant. Darnell Mee was quiet though he still showed his defensive dominance. Next year Hawks fans

Reply #26046 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Mee in my opinion is right up there for one of the best defensive players in NBL history

Reply #26053 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah i saw this happening.mee should also win the best creative player and best all round player awards.

Reply #26085 | Report this post

stewart roach  
Years ago

How tall was Andy Cambell who played NBL for West Adelaide back in 1983 before going to Canberra

Reply #40551 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754