mathias jade
Years ago

Improving your jump

Im sure theres a lot of you that have tried or know abit about the whole jumping programs. Do any of you have any tips? Ive been tempted to try a few, but some cost abit and the advertisement they use seem like its all for the money. Please let us know if you have some suggestions because im sure its not just me who wants to know!

Topic #2281 | Report this topic

I would like to hear a few ideas .. Shin splints have been a major issue for me in the past .. and i find i just cant get the same power into my leap... Any ideas?

Reply #25832 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great topic mathias.

I found this site, "Improving your vertical leap", which looks like it might be useful.

On the same site is this page about Shin Splints.

Reply #25833 | Report this post

Legend Isaac thanks ...

bloody frustrating injury .. would not wish it on anyone .

Reply #25834 | Report this post

mathias jade  
Years ago

awesome site isaac thanks mate!

Reply #25836 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

i have just started a simple jumping program which i got for free off the net, it takes about 10 mins at the moment, but will in crease over the next few weeks. how i got it was simply going to yahoo and typing in twelve week program. i have only been doing it for 3 days so im not to shore weather it work, but i think it may

Reply #25846 | Report this post

the air up there  
Years ago

i started air alert 2 and did 10 out of the 15 weeks when i first was wanting to dunk. i went from being unable to dunk two handers of both 1 and 2 feet. now i can add a little spin to that!

Reply #25865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have also started air alert two. I am into week six and my standing vert off two feet has gone from 79cm to 92 cm in these six weeks.

Reply #25882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what kind of stuff do you do with this program? how did you find out about it?

Reply #25885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its all plyometric exercises (jumping around a lot with more time spent in the air then on the ground). I got mine from a hook up in the states. You can get them off the net though.

Reply #25968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I have also started air alert two. I am into week six and my standing vert off two feet has gone from 79cm to 92 cm in these six weeks."

shit. that's awesome. i have a jumping program but i havent bothered to use it yet. ive only got a 20 inch vertical or some embarrasing number like that, i guess i should start using it!

Reply #25970 | Report this post

snodog  
Years ago

I was doing it for 5 weeks and had to stop because of the onset of Shin Splints according to my doc. So be careful

Reply #25971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's the problem with plyometrics, the increased stress on your legs. maybe i'll just go to a gym or something. thanks

Reply #25974 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Don Chu writes some great stuff on Plyometrics and he is a Doctor.

Some tips
- Work on your core strength not just plyos. Alot of jump programs dont focus enough on core strength.

- I have read in Chus articles you should work on squats and developing leg strength and power before doing plyos. Spend a few weeks doing heavy squats, taper off for a bit with some light leg press then get into the plyos.

- Never neglect skipping!

http://www.donchu.com/articles/

Reply #25981 | Report this post

mathias jade  
Years ago

thanks for letting us know snodog, ive had shinsplints and not to fond of getting it back might have to give it a miss if i see a sign.

when i was looking up air alert 2 i found a site that was selling pills that help you grow.. bit suss if you ask me. By any chance does anyone know if they work?!?

Reply #25984 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

mathias jade

yeah they work, but they may make you grow hair in unwanted places and your balls could shrink. so be careful

Reply #26017 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Have you experienced this Melhoops?

Reply #26159 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

heres a good site

http://www.geocities.com/highriser032/streetball032.html

Reply #28040 | Report this post

hops  
Years ago

Where can I find out about this air alert?

Reply #37428 | Report this post

cam  
Years ago

hey guys, your results are pretty encouarging. i have been looking for air alert for awhile. could one of you guys send me a copy of the program? i would really appreciate it.

Reply #40016 | Report this post

nochanceofdunking  
Years ago

hey everyone, look the easiest way to get to dunk the ball double handed is to be 7ft 10 and with my quick and easy "getmassiveinaweek"protein drink it can happen for you, have u ever walked past a dbl story building and thought to urself, if i was 7ft 10 id see in that window or then again have u ever gone to a basketball game and thought if I was 7ft 10 i could look down from a great height at the cheerleaders! if you know what i mean! i know I have and thats why i know id have to be 7ft 10 to ever dunk the ball, it takes me a km run up to hit the net! lol good luck everyone

Reply #44164 | Report this post

hops  
Years ago

Good topic ppl,
its refreshing to see some interesting/relevant conversation about ball on here rather than the normal ref bashing. i've also struggled with shin splints and have tried a number of jumping programs before, only to find that they caused a relapse of the shin splints problem. One program that worked for me however is air alert 3. This program is formulated to do 3 times a week, rather than everday. incorporating rest days with your training is as important as the actual workout, and with programs that require you to workout everyday i found that my legs were useless within weeks. the other thing i found useful was to actually just practice dunking (find some low rings somewhere), sounds simple but it trains u to realise where u can dunk from while also improving your vertical. I'm pretty sure u can get air alert 3 at this link: http://www.home.no/slominski/Air%20Alert%20III.htm (if this doesnt work go to google and type in "air alert III jumping program")
its pretty helpful as long as u stick to the program and although it doesn't make any wild claims, eg 8 inches in 6 wks, its alot easier on your body.

Reply #44178 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

yeah can u send me the air alert program too ill send u anythin u need i got alotta programs and have used the shoes and stuff

Reply #46293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WARNING

Don't be fooled. There is no quick and easy way to get what you guys want.

If you want to improve your athletic ability and still be able to walk when your 35 then go see a personal trainer. These guys can show you how to do it right.

You want a web site that may help??

Try

http://www.reboundsport.com.au/about_main_frame.htm

Reply #46310 | Report this post

fumfmju  
Years ago

i did air alert 3 until the 9 week it doesnt help it can actually stunt your growth so i suggest you dont do air alert 3 just run around the block a few times

Reply #48237 | Report this post

Froggy  
Years ago

Air Alert does not stunt your growth, that's just plain stupid.

I have tried Jumpsoles (imported them from the US) they are 5pound platforms which you add on to your shoes and you do their 8 week program with them on, while I may have gained a little from this program, the two bouts of shins splints and countless frustrating games of basketball I have played since with fucked shins means that I do not advocate this one. You'll just end up with shin splints.

Air Alert, I started 5 weeks ago, I imported this from the US for roughly 30 dollars Australian, so not too bad. 2 weeks in I had gained 1 1/2 inches (not sure how many centimetres that is) it's hard to test though because your legs are usually dead most of the time you are on this, you have to put up with it and wait for the results, because when you do have a few days rest between and your legs freshen up you start to feel the results. As far as I can tell, Air Alert is based on sound principals and no gimmicky stuff, be warned it is a lot of hard work, especially the second half, so if you are doing it properly make sure you do it in the off season as I am now, otherwise you want ot be finishing it before finals. My shooting performances over the first 4 weeks went 29points, 21, 17, 12. I think it's a direct effect of the exercising and getting used to it.

Reply #53070 | Report this post

nestor  
Years ago

caminar siempre ligeramente sobre la parte delantera de las plantas de los pies ayuda mucho a tu estabilidad y a saltar mas, solo intenta hacerlo siempre, veras la diferencia.

Reply #127942 | Report this post

T-MONEY  
Years ago

air alert does not stunt your growth when i started last year i was thirteen about 5'2 i could even touch the net now since i finished i grew about 3 inches and could do windmill dunks i gaind like 17 inch to my jumps

Reply #128154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can you get air alert from Australia? is this program worth doing?

Reply #156257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754