SG
Years ago

Will Adelaide have the weakest backcourt?

I know that a lot of people on here have said the 36ers team is weak, but I do not nessesarily agree. I think that the problem is simply that the Sixers 2 shooting guards are not people that can create their own shots. Herbert and NG are good in their own right, but I don't think that this combo is strong enough to get the right amount of firepower. Neither of them in my opinion is a starter in the NBL and this alone should say that both didn't need to be signed. Hill can also play in the backcourt and is another that I would question. It will be interesting to see how the "big 3" NG, Herbert, and Hill go.

Topic #22830 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Feh.

Can't really tell at the moment. Need to wait until Clarke cam do with them. I'd rather see Hill at the 3 with an import and Ng running the 1-2 respectively. Personal preference would be Bruce w/ Ng but we'll have to wait and see.

Pretty young looking team at the moment; relying too heavily on "woulds" and "coulds" with the majority of the team.

At the moment, the Adelaide 36ers are looking more like the Adelaide "AIS'ers". That MAY be a good thing.

Reply #275141 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

They are all capable of great things on their day, They just have to BRING IT EVERY DAY not just have 1 good game in every 3.

Consistency is they Key, Lets hope Marty can get the best out of them.

I WILL KEEP THE FAITH!

Reply #275143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert is starter quality, not a world beater but just a solid complimetary player. He is also our best backcourt defender. You need players like him to do the little things, much like Damien Martin of Perth fame.

Reply #275144 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ng will have a break-out season and wind up a regular starter and solid NBL level 2 guard.

No suprises that I'm calling it, but there it is. Feel free to dig this up at season's end and hold me to it.

Unless I'm wrong.

~"In Ng we trust"~

Reply #275145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will Adelaide have the weakest backcourt?
SG, can you list the following backcourts for me? Townsville, Wollongong, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Cairns.

At at least one position in a starting quintet, you have to have a weaker player, a role-player, or a combo of two mid-level players rather than a top-tier guy. (Or a rotation of three across two spots.)

Perth do it with four guards in two spots, New Zealand will do it with Abercrombie and whoever else, Gold Coast shared minutes between Petrie and Vukona and Maxey (plus Cameron earlier on). In Adelaide, it sounds like it will be at SG while the 10-point guys are at PG, SF and PF, and the rising prospect is at C. If the SF can play some SG (since Holmes, Herbert and Hill could play some SF; think someone like Ere), I don't see a huge hole in the backcourt.

If there's a "hole" it's at C and that follows a bit of a pattern in the NBL recently so I'm not hugely fussed at this point.

Too early to make claims about weakest backcourts I would've thought.

Edit: Anon, I think you're right about Herbert. He's in that pattern of Martin, Boucher, Grabau, Vukona, Greer, etc.

Reply #275148 | Report this post

Drew  
Years ago

Sixers need to get Maher at every practice so Ng can model his game on Brett's. Ng has probably the best shot in the entire league but its no use if you can't create your own shot off the dribble. At the moment he isn't half the player Maher was and he really needs to work on his ball handling and his drive and dish game. If he can add a couple more aspects to his repertoire he may become one of the most damaging players in the comp because he certainly has the potential.

Reply #275150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall team balance is what is important.

If we get 2 good scoring imports and you have Ballinger and Johnson in the front court, Ng or Herbert become your 5th scoring option.....not a bad problem to have considering they are both more than reliable from behind the arc. Really all they need to do is take their opportunities when they arise and knock down open shots without forcing up rubbish, which both of these players are good at as they are patient and not out for their own stats. By doing this they will help to keep the floor spread making it easier for the front court to score or the 2 imports to penetrate.

Defense could be another issue, so they will really have to play as a team there. You can have great individual defenders in your team but if you dont defend as a team you can still be exposed so despite not having noted defenders as long as Marty has everyone on the same page defensively and there is cohesion amongst the group and we are agressive defensively and dont take a backward step we should be ok.

I think we will be alot better than people are thinking, provided we get the right imports of course!

Reply #275151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon 275151 - liked your post. You should think up an alias and use it. Doesn't have to give away your identity, just gives us a name to look out for in Sixers threads in the future.

Drew - would like to see Ng used a bit like Penney when he's run off a bunch of screens to create a shot (though Penney can penetrate as well, which Ng doesn't quite do). Noticed the Sixers try some Breakers-like stuff last season where Ng and Herbert would cut across each other so the PG would have two outside options depending on who had shaken their defender best.

Reply #275154 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The old scissors play...ah the memories....

Reply #275158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will certainly have the weakest frontcourt defensively

Reply #275162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drew,

Darren will be 27 this year. Needs to show more than potential given his age and time at the club. He needs to be delivering every game.

I personally think he has had long enough time to develop. He has played with Brett for basically all his career. With his intelligence you would think he would have picked up a few things along the way from Brett. I can only conclude that he is not capable of doing more than what he has shown.

Reply #275164 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac! :-)

I now have an alias; Tornado - hope it worked?!

Ng is capable of penetrating and alot more than he has shown in his return to the Sixers thus far. He does have a nice step back reminiscent of Mahers too.

I remember back to his last year with us when Mahersy went down and Darren was promoted to the starting line up....he really stood up and showed some glimpses of what he was actually capable of. I think (dont hold me to it) he averaged 17 points or something like that across that stretch?

The problem with Darren I feel is his confidence to transpire what he is capable of into game nights. This may or may not be due to the confidence instilled in him by the previous coaches? He has the ability.....hopefully Marty can instill that confidence in him? if so, I think you will see a massive improvement in his output!

Reply #275171 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

No suprises that I'm calling it,

... again! :)

Reply #275179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, if you want an avatar/image next to your name, then post with an email address (though I can see it, so that may or may not matter to you) and go to Gravatar.com to link an image to your email address.

Anon, I also think Ng is near his ceiling, but that room for improvement can come from his team finding opportunities for him, and consistency in contribution could come from that. With good imports, he's 4th or 5th contributor on offense and he's easily capable of delivering there.

Reply #275189 | Report this post

Yep!!!!  
Years ago

I think that NG will struggle to create his own shot, and whoever said that Herbert is reliable from the arc should think back to last season. Never hit shots when needed.

I think it is a weak backcourt for the NBL standard period. Right now where are the points coming from?

Its ok to be an optimist because you are a fan, but realistically the backcourt does suck right now.

Reply #275250 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If we end up with someone like Aaron Bruce or Rhys Carter a good quality import PG and a import SF who can play from SG-PF i think our back court looks ok, think about it Ng and Herbert are of similar level to guys like D. Martin from perth (brad hill isnt too far off someone like Weigh either), Matt Campbell and the Martins from the hawks, Michael Cedar/Crawford from the crocs, all finalists last season so doesnt look too bad to me

Reply #275267 | Report this post

Drew  
Years ago

BTW Isaac, I only just realised that another person had already created a user profile named Drew, so after this post I will change my name to Sixers2010, which is the profile I started with to avoid any confusion.

Reply #275277 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The players Sixers have signed are not going to have you buying GF tickets yet especially in relation to Perths line up.
So I guess have a clearer picture after last 3 signings.
However just to be able to play a team game with system will be massive uplift and hopefully give NG ,Hill and young players with court organization the confidence to have real confidence to use their scoring skills.

Reply #275316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754