clarky
Years ago

Crocs sign Schenscher

Well now it is official

The Townsville McDonald's Crocodiles have announced the signing of 216cm centre Luke Schenscher for the upcoming 2010/11 National Basketball League season.

Coach Trevor Gleeson said in the article that Luke is an asset for any team due to his size and presence around the rim.
He also went on to say that

"The key thing for us was that Luke wanted to join us in Townsville to get better. He wants to improve his skills and physical strength with the help of our program. We are committed to that and excited about his enthusiasm to join us."

Check out the full article on the NBL website

Topic #22844 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Good luck Luke. Interesting team coming together in Townsville.

Reply #275455 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

The Crocs are looking fairly big across the front line. Wonder if Allen and Luke will both start?

Reply #275456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it'd be Luke and Hinder with Allen off the bench.

Reply #275459 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I tend to agree with Isaac's assessment. Although Allen could come in for Hinder if his form warrants it...he played well alongside anohter big man in Samham at St Mary's...

Reply #275460 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Good signing for them, however gotta wonder whether Schenscher's chances of Europe/NBA ball are slipping away...while I think he did better here than in Perth, I still think he's got the game to play overseas. Maybe Townsville just have some deep pockets.

Reply #275462 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Townsville just have a bit more cash to throw around now they have released Homicide

Reply #275465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Hinder is the anchor of that team. Allen would need to take a big step up to take many of his minutes.

Reply #275466 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Is this the biggest NBL front line in NBL history? I know it is the Crocs biggest ever... can you think of bigger?

Schenscher at 216cm
Allen at 211cm
and Hinder at 209cm

Reply #275468 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Have to look at giving the classic "facepalm" here.

While I'm comfortable to a point with Johnson running the 5 spot for the Sixers; I'd rather he be as a backup.

Would have preferred an experienced Centre like Big Red running with DJ; would have been a good learning opportunity.

Still interested in the Sixers team so far, but am starting to have mad "Dunlap" flashbacks here.

Grats to the Crocs. Looks like 2010-11 is the season of change.

Reply #275469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

schenscher/Allen
hinder/Bradshaw
Import/Blanchfield
Crawford/Cedar
Import/Robertson

Reply #275472 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Best of luck, Big Red.

Meanwhile, we should sign some imports and stuff.

Reply #275474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In response to DJ Rod.....
East Perth currently have the three 7 footers playing for them in the WA SBL

Sam Harris - 221cm
Paul Rogers - 213cm
Tom Jervis - 213cm

Reply #275475 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Titans had Pepper, Anstey and Wheeler at one stage.

Reply #275483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

makes me wonder whether allen will be happy with his minutes at backup. he couldve started at another club, say at the gong or here even

Reply #275484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I saw at HSH, Allen didn't look quite ready to start. Didn't see all his games though.

Reply #275488 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Pat Reidy, who is tipped to be one of the Crocs assistants, had a lot to do with Allen heading north. He played for Pat's team in the HSH and is looking to Reidy to improve his game.

They will spend a lot of time together on things like footwork, post moves and post defense, things Pat was good at and Ben needs to improve on.

The future looks bright!

Reply #275490 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Ben Allen would be aware that he has a fair step up in quality ahead of him, and would be more than happy to play around 20 minutes per game and learn from Reidy, Hinder and Schenscher. I think his biggest challenge, given the Crocs roster, will be improving his mobility to be able to play the PF spot.

Interesting that Townsville have gone very big, with Melbourne and Perth apparently both looking to add a seven foot centre (Luke Nevill) to Burston/Tragardh and Knight/Wagstaff. Could be quite a contrast in rosters in the NBL next season.

Certainly if Adelaide are not going to add to Johnson, Ballinger, Holmes and Dowdell they will be weak in the frontcourt. I think they need an import who can play both the 3 and 4.

Reply #275509 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ebi at about 6ft.4in plays mostly 3 and a bitta 2
I think ?

Reply #275515 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good Luck Luke, you are welcome back to the Sixers anyday.

Reply #275519 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Interesting to see the Crocs steer away from the more mobile front court of NBL seasons past and revert back to the more internationally common format of a team with a true centre.

With the extension of the 3 point line I think the big man/men will become more of an asset as their will likely be more rebounds on offer, greater room in the low post as the floor will be spread more and more players driving into the key way meaning the bigs will be more important defensively.

I can see the Crocs playing a lot of half court offense, much like the Lakers and the Sixers playing more of a transition run and gun game like the Thunder.

With the team the Crocs are assembling I can see why they released Homicide as his style wouldnt fit with the game plan they look to be adopting.

One thing is for sure, it will be an interesting season and I look forward to seeing which type of Centre proves to be more damaging!

Reply #275523 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

go crocs...trevor to announce his assistant this week,i wonder if it will be mr.picket??

Reply #275531 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow, the Crocs certainly have changed direction. If I were Townsville, I'd be a little concerned with the lack of mobility with both Schenscher and Allen on the same team. Would be a slow team if you played them together, so I'm guessing they will mostly interchange the two?

Still, its a lineup with some potential, Cedar and Blanchfield both offer some ability off the bench and if the Crocs can sign two imports that can shoot and get back to slow the fast break, they could be quite successful.

Reply #275550 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bad signing on Schenscher's part in my opinion.
Killing any chances of NBA that he had by staying here in Australia.
Needs to get to Europe, where 7-footers are used and then work on his game to an NBA level..
Australia is turning into a small and fast game.

Reply #275553 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Quite a few teams going big this year, perhaps thinking the new rules will favour big guys. I am not convinced, it may just spread the floor more and expose their mobility? Time will tell, although I think the differences will be subtle.

Reply #275555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth need a centre matt knight is a 4 i thought they would get schenscher back. But obviousley not.

Reply #275648 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754