The Journo
Years ago

What the NBL needs for 2010-11

I have been thinking, with the NBL back on free to air television, the league needs to be spiced up a bit, here is just a few suggestions, feel free to add yours:

1. All-Star weekend copying the NBA model with rookie game (NBL u24 vs AIS), 3-point shootout, dunk contest and North (Cairns, Townsville, Gold Coast, Sydney, Wollongong) vs South (Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, NZ)
(The host city gets the TV coverage delayed so the crowd is full at the game as well.)

2. Homicide and Hodge to get an import spot on a team. (Would be a great tandem for Sydney!!), they are new makers, love them or hate them.

3. John Rillie to be special comments or sideline reporter at all games!

4. I'm sure you fellow hoops fans will like to add to that.............

Topic #22861 | Report this topic

Gazza  
Years ago

All star w/e should be state of origin

Reply #275690 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I agree with State of Origin plus 2 imports max per team,

West(WA/SA/NT/Vic) vs East(QLD/NSW/ACT/TAS,NZ)plus 2 imports from the club they are currently playing for example Kevin Lisch would play for West because he plays for Perth.

Reply #275697 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I wouldn't suggest an All-Star format until the league develops more under FTA TV.

You might get sellouts in Challenge Stadium or the Dome, but wouldn't assume that the Cage or SEC would fill up instantly for an NBL all-star game.

I'd give that format another year and see how one season on FTA would work for the league.

Agree in point with needing the likes of Hodge/Homicide in the league as they do push the level of the game up; but you'll be hard pressed finding a coach willing to take them on and designing their offensive around either of them. That's the only let down. Most coaches seem to want a balanced offense, not a "HE decides where the ball goes" offense.

Reply #275698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about major city vs regional?

perth, adelaide, melbourne, sydney vs. gold coast, townsville, cairns, wollongong and we can have new zealand for the regional team...

Reply #275699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If an All-Star game costs the league money or considerable effort, I wouldn't bother with it. Rarely as highlight filled as the NBA equivalent (when I think NBL All Star game, I think of Tony Ronaldson jacking threes), a bit flat in terms of crowd atmosphere, etc. If One will cover it and ticket sales cover player flights/accommodation and so on, then sure, but otherwise I think it could be a distraction from things the league could work on otherwise.

Reply #275704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

I reckon one of the things the NBL did was jump off the hype of US type sport. It aimed to become more Australian and more about the game.

I beleive there is a gap in the market for US type hype sports. The game is still the main product but events like HSH and ALL* games to add to the hype will allow our game to fill a void.

I know your point is that all* games were flat but I think hype them up.... Get people backing their state origin teams in a tribal war, I think this has great potential.

Reply #275710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My main point is that if it costs them money, it needs to bring serious results or it could be used towards something that might bring the league more attention.

One thing that worked about HSH was that the prizemoney meant that players were competing fairly seriously rather than trotting up and down to jack shots and fumble alley oops.

Reply #275715 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think the State of origin concept needs some more work!

You can't have a state of origin where both QLD and NSW are on the same team as well as VIC and SA.

I've always wondered how an Old vs Young (Vets vs Up and comers). In the NBA it would remove the East vs West and allow guys like Pierce and Kobe to be on the same team. Imagine Kobe, Pierce, Duncan, Dirk, Nash, Kidd vs LeBron, Howard, CP3, Melo, Durant, Rose etc.
That would be fun to watch.

Reply #275719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Now, that could be interesting. Can't tell me that Goulding wouldn't want to show up Harvey, or Webster vs Bruton, or Wagstaff vs Redhage, and so on. Both sides would have a real point to prove.

Reply #275721 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Above 28 vs 28 and under (or something).... There's some merit there for the players to enjoy it, and it would also split the supporters fairly well.

Agree with Isaac though, it has to be a break even event at minimum, if it costs anything to produce, then I agree it's probably money better spent anywhere.

Big Marty - sell out at the dome, >7.5k, vs not sell out at the cage, <4k. Why would you even consider Melb as a place to host, when their stadium is that small. For what it's worth, I don't think you'd sell out the Dome though....

Reply #275725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you'd get under 3k at the Dome to be honest. Could make tickets heavily subsidised for 36ers members or something to provide them with some incentive to go.

Reply #275727 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

I don't know how many we got to the last all-star game at the dome, but it was certainly not a big crowd, by any stretch.

Reply #275734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just fuggedaboutit! I think one of the things the NBL has done well in the past year is under-promise (ie, they have promised nothing) and over-delivered (easy to do when you promise so little!).

I think for years we have been let down by teams/people trying to 'hype' the games and then having the experience fail to live up to the reality.

The All-Star game fits into this category - even the NBA version is boring - who wants to see West beat East 140-138 with only the last two minutes played hard. All the alley-oops in the world mean little when the D just watches the ball (and their player) sail over their head.

Keep working on the product - sustainable teams playing hard every night will produce plenty of great basketball. Hodge/Homicide might get you clips on Sports Tonight but are unlikely to deliver 'rusted-on' fans to the sport. They will come from great games BACKED UP (not substituted for) terrific game night experiences.

Game night presentation in Newcastle in the 80's was non-existent but the vibe of 1500 people leaving after being packed in to watch a last-second Michael Johnson jumper nail Perth delivered fans for life - it happened all over, they're still out there, but they're not getting what attracted them to the game in the first place - athleticism they can see close-up, physicality they can see close up, and intensity that (in the good old days) came from weekend warriors (for the most part) giving it their all.

If we could translate the 'old school' passion onto the 'new school' athleticism and skill then we are onto a winner!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if the worst we could do is replicate the 2009 U20 Men's Final (Qld - Page, Salecich, Motum, Young, et al vs NSW - Cadee, Mullan and supporting cast) then we'd have a winner. Passion, intensity, incredible athleticism (the opening play from Qld was a botched alley-oop which was finished by a two-handed put-back flush by Motum, tremendous skill (the semi-final saw Dellavadova outpointed by a masterful shooting performance from Cadee), match-ups (Cadee (superstar/good guy/white knight) v Salecich (stopper/Dick Dastardly/forces of evil).

The product is great, give them a reason and a chance to play hard and we'll get there.

Reply #275746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great post anon. Get yourself an alias so we can keep an eye out for your posts in the future!

Reply #275747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been trying to work out how to do it, but haven't figured that out yet!! Had one previously and thought I had one now but it doesn't come up.

Reply #275750 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When you post, where it says "Name", just enter an alias there and (if cookies are enabled in your browsers) it'll remember it.

Reply #275752 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

To touch on one part of the above anon post - "sustainable teams" is all that is needed. Let's forget the hype for a couple of years, make sure that the existing teams are going to be around for more than a couple of seasons, build some rivalries from the on court performances, and that gives the forgotten fans something to identify with.

I am so concerned that CH10 is going to screw it up again. If they promote the game as a crazy, funky, rap-music, street-talking highlights reel, then we won't have advanced at all from the mid-90's.

Reply #275753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wat the nbl needs is a bigger salary cap and more player points for each team. It also needs 12 minute quarters, these players arnt good enough for 10 min quarters to many low quarters if it is 10 min quarters i would like to see the gamebreaker concept into the game.

Reply #275756 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For three minutes in each half, when the backboard lights up green, I'll give you four points for each element of punctuation you use in your posts. ;)

Reply #275761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry im not perfect like you, i was just giving some advice. Why are you ripping off me your a nerd who administrates a basketball site. Is 'Isaac' your cover name Julius im sorry you cant get a contract so you just come on here and make fun of people. Im out of here first site ive ever been on where the administrator disrespects your input.

Reply #275769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to the last all-star game at the Dome (Tucker got MVP) and not only was it an ordinary crowd (not HSH ordinary) but the spectacle was pretty boring. I thought it was the right decision to scrap the ASG and don't think they need to bother going down that route again especially with HSH's emergence on the scene.

I haven't been back to the Dome since but we had good seats about 10 rows back at centre court but the leg room was so tight with the whole sardine feel about it that we vacated those 'good' seats and went and sat in the barren nosebleeds.

Reply #275775 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hey anon, sorry you didn't like the joke.

Reply #275788 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

No All-Star Game. I went to the one in Adelaide in either 2005 or 2006 and I can't remember a single thing about it.

Reply #275804 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

I remember Farley at the Dunk comp jumping over some kid, that's about it.

Reply #275836 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He jumped alongside the kid rather than over him.

Reply #275842 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Ahhh, it was all in the angles!

Reply #275855 | Report this post

Hey Isaac,
Dont worry, anonymous will be back.

Reply #275857 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Geez Anon u are sensetive. Bring the bat & ball back & harden up a little bit! Its all fun!

Reply #276014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That dunk comp which Farley won was comfortably the worst dunk comp I've ever seen. I felt embarrassed for Farley when he instead jumped alongside that kid.

Reply #276017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754