Isaac
Years ago

Liam Flynn named Townsville second assistant coach

From 36ers on Twitter/Facebook:

Congratulations to Liam Flynn being signed by the Townsville Crocodiles as their new assistant coach alongside Pat Reidy.
I think Clarke wants to run just as a duo with Radford.

Topic #22909 | Report this topic

The Banker  
Years ago

Did Liam do much last year with Adelaide?

Reply #276363 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

helped them win a wooden spoon

Reply #276367 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Good to see he has been picked up somewhere, I thought he was a good assistant coach.

I'm interested to see how Clarke goes in his first year, especially if he chooses to only go with 1 assistant.

Article:

Adelaide 36ers Assistant Coach Liam Flynn will join Pat Reidy in the Townsville McDonald's Crocodiles coaching department underneath Head Coach Trevor Gleeson for the 2010/11 season the club has announced today.

Full article HERE

Reply #276368 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

bring on this season already. after we sign our import positions ofcourse. i for one am really keen to see what clarke can bring to the table. so many people have mixed feelings about his ability, i just want him to prove me right or wrong already haha. and im hoping he proves me right in the sense that he can make this team work.

Reply #276375 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Does that mean Richard will do a bit more than was suggested?

Reply #276385 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I wouldn't think so...

I personally think that Clarke will not be the same push over the 36ers front office were dealing with in Ninnis.

He will come in with a decisive plan and that will be on and off the court. Hill will be doing his normal front court stuff.

Reply #276388 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Congrats to Liam.

We need I.M.W.T wristbands for all Hoops members: "In Marty We Trust".

Marty need to hire Dr. Emmett Brown as his 2nd assistant so we can go back... Back to the Title!

Reply #276389 | Report this post

DAMN STURT!
Is there no limit to their manipulation of basketball in this country??!

Reply #276394 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

This is a win win situation. A win for the Sixers as the guy has been here 3 seasons, the first under Smyth and the other two with Ninnis. All 3 years have been unsuccessful. I believe his job was cutting up the tape to devise defensive strategies as well as offensive strategies. The defensive strategies and general game plan has been shocking throughout the 3 years. Obviously not entirely his fault as the players could have been given the right instructions and did otherwise or perhaps the head coach disagreed and did things his way. Either way the guy has escaped all criticism throughout these 3 bad seasons perhaps due to lots of people on here being buddy buddy with the guy. So I'm happy we will run with just the two coaches and it’s a win for him as he gets to continue his career in the NBL

Reply #276406 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

KingJames - Anyone that knows Liam would know that you're talking complete nonsense. Liam lives and breathes bball. He spent hours and hours cutting up tape, working out stats and implementing defensive strategies. IMO it wasn't Liam's lack of understanding or work - it was inability from the leadership (head coach) to get the players to buy into it.

Reply #276408 | Report this post

ranga  
Years ago

Looks like Marty got is way with the 6ers.

Reply #276410 | Report this post

goodbye  
Years ago

Liam may be a good guy but not an NBL coach. Quite clearly out of his depth last year. Good luck to him up North.

Reply #276421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is his claim to fame?

Reply #276428 | Report this post

eC  
Years ago

How much fame do you need to be a 2nd assistant?

Reply #276441 | Report this post

Widg  
Years ago

Radford could be a head coach @ NBL level easy, so he will be a great assistant to Clarke.

Reply #276452 | Report this post

A Real Fan  
Years ago

Bizzy is on the money.
Good luck with the new gig Liam, you deserve it.

Reply #276461 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Good luck to Liam.

Do NBL teams really need a 2nd assistant coach? NBL teams really don't play that many games compared to tother leagues. I wonder if the cost of having a 2nd assistant coach would really add that much value for an NBL club.

With 2 FT coahces who should still be able to complete all individual work outs with all the players.

Reply #276467 | Report this post

NO IDEA  
Years ago

You guys who come on here and post should get your facts in order. Every coach in SA is bad. I am glad I am out of your small minded world. We are third place in the world-Fiba Ranking. The coaches have nothing to do with it. They all suck "King James"!

Reply #276472 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This is a complete guess, but I'd say a 2nd assistant coach would spend time assessing video of other teams and players, documenting their offensive sets, working out defensive strategies against particular players, work with some of the younger guys on specific skills - older guys too.

All stuff that takes up significant time. Probably mix these duties with other non-coaching tasks around the club too.

Reply #276473 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Congratulations Liam, truly deserved!

Reply #276477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea No-Idea, it must be a superior athletes and size we have in Australia that get the basketball australia to be ranked 3 in the world.

Reply #276486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will it affect his U16 Nationals commitments for this year??

Reply #276507 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

This position was turned down by Anthony Stewart. Apparently the money being paid to Radford means there is none left for a second assistant. Apparently Schuller had put out the feelers.

Reply #276554 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah NO IDEA, I take offenc eto that, i coach under 10's and I think I am doing a great job..

I contribute to the world ranking...and i'm sure yr welcome in whatever state it is you are in...

Isaac, his IP is in another state yeah?

Reply #276565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard that Flynn will actually be one of Townsville's two assistants, rather than the "second assistant" - Gleeson prefers to have two assistants on equal footing.

As for Liam's claim to fame, he had a role in Skippy back in his days as a child actor.

Reply #276566 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I heard he was also one of the Henderson Kids, and his career was cut short after an horrific origami accident.

Reply #276577 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Liam was in Skippy... hahahahahahaha... if only had known this years ago lol

Reply #276712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754