Starks
Years ago

Marty Clarke's Experience

I'd like to know some more about Marty Clarke’s history with the AIS.
In particular what being the head coach of the AIS actually entails.
I assume it is predominantly a development job.
I know the AIS have a team in the WNBL. Do the AIS field a men’s team in any domestic competitions?
For example, will he have experience in preparing a team for a game every week?
Just curious about his background...

Topic #22911 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

AIS men's team play in the SEABL

Reply #276396 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Played in 4-5 NBL seasons including a championship. Was assistant coach at the AIS for four years and head coach for seven years. Assisted the national junior team for two years and was head coach for four years.

As said, the AIS team plays in the SEABL which is (correct me if I'm wrong) the strongest league in AU outside of the NBL.

Here's an NBL Q&A done with Marty on Facebook.

Reply #276397 | Report this post

Charon 58  
Years ago

Calrke was SEABL coach of the year in 2003 I think.

Reply #276401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide will be one of the top 3 most prepared teams every game along with Gordie Mcleod's Hawks and Rob Beveridge's Wildcats. Adelaide fans need to relax. He will get the best out of all these guys.

Reply #276403 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The man has a young team and he's just spent the past decade coaching young teams through the AIS.

The guy is guaranteed to get the best out of the younger lads. I hope that Balls is still the focal point for the team.

Reply #276414 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Similar background to Beveridge.

Reply #276418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke gets away with murder. He is way over rated and we will see him stuggle now he's in senior ranks. He has always struggled with the bigger kids at the tute. Jaiwai,Bogut,Vandenberg....the list goes on. He should have gone to the NCAA for a small div1 school that recruits nerds.
Watch the progress he will be .500 winning coach and never get a real stud. Best Move for the AIS mens program just like getting rid of Kingsman for the Girls.
The Ais Will flourish without them both!!!!

Reply #276433 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Your an idiot

The AIS has been doing damn well the last couple of years.

Reply #276456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He will get the best out of all these guys."

You can't polish a turd.

Reply #276458 | Report this post

Let it go  
Years ago

Anon,
Which squad did you get cut from the tute?

Reply #276460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty has coached the best talent that is around, He has run the AIS squad effectively and won alot of games. He focuses on the players srtenghs and develops there weaknesses. He will be an assett to the 36ers and if the dickheads that know FA about the game, but out and watch the guy go.

Good luck Marty and your team

Reply #276462 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon, Mythbusters did an episode on polishing a turd. believe it or not but you can polish a turd.

Reply #276465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke may struggle to coach independent thinking men.
getting kids to do what they need to do,when they have to do it is easy.
If theu dont do it they get the flick
AIS do what they do, they don't even bother to play in the SEABL finals either.
They go overseasfor some weird reason when the finals are on.

Reply #276481 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Marty has coached men previously and will have no problems. He is very basketball intelligent and will have a well drilled group.

Reply #276488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Marty will be a lot better than Scott.

Reply #276489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke > Scott Ninnis

The staff are putting together a group of players that will play for Marty.

The 36ers tried the hoopla with Hodge, but he turned out to be a souffle.

The new guys won't talk smack, but they'll play harder and they'll represent the city with pride.

Get on board.

Reply #276491 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

"As said, the AIS team plays in the SEABL which is (correct me if I'm wrong) the strongest league in AU outside of the NBL."

Nah, the nationals were won by teams from Queensland the last two years it was held (therefore still national champs :) .

Reply #276526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

True, but the overall depth of talent in the SEABL is prob quite a bit stronger.

Reply #276528 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Anon 6433 - why don't you put a name to your posts. It'll be great come the end of the season when you need to eat your words....

Reply #276549 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Clarke will be fine,
Just give him the time,
that he needs to refine,
A once proud club that has long been in decline.

Reply #276556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's so funny reading all the posts about Marty Clarke.

He has access to the best kids, with the best facilities and the support of Basketball Australia.

I agree... He will struggle. Let's see how popular he is with his ability to recruit decent players. The Ais tarnish kids and label them way to early.

No...I haven't been cut from AIS far from it. I watch nearly every under 18/20 nationals the past 6 years and I find it nearly a joke how they give out rides to the AIS.

Im with the other Marty Clarke fans he will struggle to mix it with Bevo,Gordi and Westover..thank god Goorjian isn't there as he would eat him.

Reply #276654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754