VC fan
Years ago

Madgen a machine!

I don't usually follow the ABL too closely, but have noticed Tess Madgen's stats this year have been outstanding!
This girl is 19 and averaging 31.9 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.6 blocks and just over 3 steals per game!
I know she has just finished her time over at the AIS that that kind of development is obviously invaluable, but shouldn't she be getting some notice! Are there and other younger players in the league at the moment that would come close to such solid numbers, male or female?

Topic #22924 | Report this topic

Mimas 48  
Years ago

She wouldn't be averaging those kind of numbers on a team that is winning consistantly.

Although she is playing well.

Reply #276586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she is a wonderful athlete, but like her ex team mate Francis, is far too protected by umps intimidaed by her

Reply #276588 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Madgen is not protected by umpires! She's not the intimidating sort.. I cannot imagine why you'd even say or think that

Reply #276594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get out to a game and see just how un-protected she is!

As stated previously, Tess doesn't play for a top 4 team and therefore doesnt get "protected"...

Watch saturday nights game against Norwood to see just who is protected.

Reply #276617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

baller, umps officiate many of the returning stars in a sympathetic way, if there is contact it will always be the other players fault.She hits the paint hard but she gets a ride IMO.

Reply #276619 | Report this post

Fair Call  
Years ago

Agreed #266588!!! I watched her play a few weeks ago and was really looking forward to seeing her carve it up - but was disappointed by her constant whinging at the ref! EVERY TIME she got the ball and it didnt go her way, she complained! If that was anyone else they would have been T'd and sent off!! I couldnt believe it. I also saw one of the opposition tell her to shut her whinging!!! Funny! That being said, she is a great player.

Reply #276620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah who would want to referee half the crowd think she protected, the other half think she isn't wonder which half is right, or JUST perhaps she is neither protected or unprotected and the refs just call it the way they see it on the day with no preconceived ideas

Reply #276623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a ball hog if you ask me (not to say she isnt talented). I would be very annoyed if I was her team mate

Reply #276663 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

i watch her last week she reelly gets into her own team mates and her parents were even having a go at some of the players on her team. she is a good player but i recon it would not be much fun playing with her.

Reply #276667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest issue this year is the hand-checking taht still goes on... its as bad as the AFL - bring in a new rule/Point Of Emphasis , then dont enforce it after round 5 = TWOFT.

Reply #276674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My daughter has no problem playing with her, and actually ENJOYS it.

Reply #276679 | Report this post

charon31  
Years ago

Saw her play last week. Excellent player. Definitely protected in that she can whine and complain and abuse with impunity. Cajoled and encouraged by the refs. Fouled out late with what for anyone else would have been 15 fouls. Still whining about a shot clock reset 3 plays later. Perhaps with maturity she will lose this well earned reputation.

Reply #276680 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Get off her back, She already is carrying the womens mavericks team so why doesnt everyone just leave her alone. She is a vert talented basketball who is very vocal on court.

If you watch NBL games closely there a many of NBL players and coaches who are constantly howling the referees as they go up and down the court

It more noticeable at ABL level because of the lack of Atmosphere.

Reply #276683 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

quality kid, quality parents comes from Rendell stock and quality sibling Ben and Jack good luck Tess most people on here are jealous parents and can fault LBJ and Kobe.

Reply #276687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess is a great player and a great team mate. for someone who works as hard as she does it can be frustrating at times playing with others not as committed. she has a very bright future and we all wish her the very best. by the way has half the people on this forum even played basketball before becasue it sure doesnt seem like it half the time?

Reply #276723 | Report this post

HUSTLE  
Years ago

It is disappointing to see another thread which begins with such positive comments has been quickly tarnished with negative ones.

Is it really that important whether or not Tess is protected by the refs? Even if she is, she's not a rare species - at every level of this game, or sport in general, the stronger and more talented players tend to get some lucky breaks/calls. That being said she takes it hard to the basket and often gets mauled without a foul being called so in the end it's even.

Rather than sitting there from behind computer screens and player bashing individuals, why can't we just count our selves lucky to be able to witness this up and coming talent?

How about looking at the bigger picture? That being, that for now the league is lucky to have someone like Tess in it; someone who lifts the intensity of games each and every week which in turn makes the competition more even and competitive to play in and more enjoyable to watch. The even bigger picture being that one day this now 19 year old will be representing our country in the game of basketball at a senior level so how about let her play her game, let her grow and improve and rather than being a hindrance in that journey via your negative comments, either sit on the sidelines and watch and let it be or give her the encouragement she needs and deserves to be able to continue on this journey that is and will be a fulfilling basketball career - something that 99% of the posters on this forum will not be lucky enough to achieve themselves.

And lastly, in reference to Anon post #276663, I can guarantee you that as her teammate I am far from annoyed about playing with such a talented player and humble and lovely person.

Reply #276761 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Another excellent performance from Tess on Saturday night, I beleive she had another 35 points and she kept the mavs in the game until the final quarter when norwood managed to shut her down and between foley and Duke the flames did run away with the game.

She still needs more help from her team before the mavs start winning against some of the top teams. Alex Wilson put in another solid contribution but the mavs were with out Stephanie Talbot.

Reply #276784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

excellent performances win games

Reply #276785 | Report this post

chops  
Years ago

The Banker, how much longer do we have to hear the "we didn't have Stephanie Talbot" excuse? It's getting a little old.

Reply #276786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chops ...maybe for as long as stef talbot is a member of the team and didnt play?

Was a great effort from Eastern, but full credit to Norwood. Duke had 6pts at the half and finished with 15.

Talbot would have given Eastern another Duke-like option.

Reply #276790 | Report this post

chops  
Years ago

I look forward to August, hearing about how Eastern would have made finals if only they would have had Steph Talbot, blah,blah,blah

Reply #276793 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So who is Tess playing for in the WNBL next season ?

Reply #276812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a one man band in Texas.....

Reply #276825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo

Reply #276833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754