skull
Years ago

Scam Tovey - contract rules re retirement

can anyone tell me

* when a player retires,if they have a contract in place, do they get payed out?

*was he still on contract to crocs? if so does retirement void a contract?

*coach gleeson obviously wanted to keep him, so was the retirement scam an easy exit for tovey or part of a plan by perth "help him out" with becoming an accountant?

Topic #22928 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

All players were on one year NBL contracts last year.

Reply #276625 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Did he actually retire? No. He chose not to re-sign with the Crocs.

Reply #276626 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was mostly worded as a retirement by those reporting on the story. Tovey spoke of leaving professional sport thinking that no team would allow him to work and play. Not a huge deal IMO.

Reply #276628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all players except the gold coast?

Reply #276653 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

not a huge deal iyo isaac,i wonder what trevor thinks?

is there a team in the league that wouldnt want cam tovey at a 'part time' price in one of the 8,9,10 spots?

would have loved to have him at the taipans!!

Reply #276655 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Crocs weren't happy but supported Cam as they thought he was serious in retirement. Well done to Perth & Nick Marvin for making a deal good enough for him not to refuse.

He was a MAJOR part of the makeup of the team this year and the decision had a bit to do with changing strategy and letting Homicide go...

Reply #276666 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Why anyone would prefer to crunch numbers than play hoops is quite strange at best. It's smart to think about life after pro sport though but accounting? As the old joke goes - what do accountants use as contraceptives? their personalities. I don't know him but he must be very straight & yes Skull if he had any sort of agreement in place with Tville he should have honoured it b4 returning to the game. I'm sure everyones balance sheets could have been done by someone else for another year. Strange!

Reply #276678 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i guess his first gig will be how to balance nick marvins books........good luck with that one cam!!

as the nbl evolves, the biggest problem will be keeping the salary cap in check.

should they police it heavily or just ignore it, thus squeezing out the less financial clubs??

there are arguments both ways and i like bits of both.(eg.a strong,less financial 2nd tier league)

the stepping stones are being put in place for the nbl to become a stronger force in oz sport.

this coming season it is vital that larry and co have a clear direction for the salary cap.

Reply #276700 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Great investigative journalism, skull! You've gone from uncovering the REAL reason behind Tovey's departure from Townsville, to blowing the lid on the Wildcats cheating. Your talents are wasted on internet forums, you should be out solving crimes on a more regular basis.

Reply #276716 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

aw,gee,shucks, thanks TC2......oh well, i'd better hop down off my soap box and waddle off on my crime solving way!!

Reply #276724 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skull, did the Crocs offer Tovey the ability to work f/t and also play NBL? Are there big enough accounting firms in Townsville? As he said at the time, he didn't think any teams would enable him to do both.

orbit, Tovey gave clear reasons for his decision to start his desk job now rather than wait until after basketball.

Reply #276850 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

orbit, if Tovey gets to be a qualified CPA and works with a mid to top tier accounting firm, he will earn a lot more than he can playing NBL as a middle-of-the-road player.

Reply #276871 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754