The Banker
Years ago

Aleks Maric named to Euroleague All-Star 5

Aleks Maric selected in the Euroleague All Star 5 team.

Well done to Aleks!

I dont know much about him, Can any shed some light on the story and history of Aleks Maric?

Topic #22938 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh, is your google broken?

Reply #276772 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Yep its broken

Reply #276773 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great news! An Aussie named to the All-Euroleague First Team!

In addition, his team Partizan lost to CSKA Moscow 90-88 OT in the 3rd place Euroleage Final 4 game after they lost to Euroleague runner-up Olympiacos also in OT in the semi final. Partizan hit a layup on the buzzer to send the game into OT, but missed a game-winning three as time expired in OT to just fall short.

Aleks Maric scored 15 points on 4/7 shooting, nailing 7/10 from the line. He also had 6 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 turnovers in just over 24 minutes of action.

Box Score + Highlights: http://linky.com.au/r1gxn

All-Euroleague Team Link: http://linky.com.au/hckmm

Reply #276775 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some details on Aleks Maric:

The 6'11" Aussie centre was born to Serbian parents in Sydney and played his junior basketball for Australia, attending the AIS. He was a member of the gold medal winning Australian team at the 2003 FIBA U19 World Championship, and also represented Australia at the 2005 FIBA U21 World Championships.

He attended US High School before playing 4 years of college ball at Nebraska in the NCAA Division I, averaging a double-double in his senior year as a starter. He was named All-Big 12 Conference 2nd Team in 2007 and 2008. He played one unspectacular season for Granada in the Spanish ACB after graduating before transferring to Partizan Belgrade in the European off-season. This was his first season for Partizan.

By all reports, Serbia want Maric to play for them at the 2010 World Championships, however as he has represented Australia in a FIBA sanctioned event (and won a medal), he is tied to Australia unless Basketball Australia agree to release him to play for his parent's homeland. Maric is also reportedly more interested in representing Serbia than Australia as well, but he really doesn't have a choice unless BA bend over...which I can't see given Bogut is unlikely to be available to play.

Reply #276777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Especially given the weekend's media release from BA about "Golden Star Australian Boomers centre Aleks Maric" making the All-Euroleague Team!!

Good year for Aussie bigs with Bogut, Maric and Nielsen all achieving all league honours.

Reply #276779 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

The boomers just might be getting some succes in the near future!

This is all good for the sport of basketball

Reply #276782 | Report this post

The Champ  
Years ago

I was hoping the represent Ireland in next years tournament for bad teams as my great grandad on my Mums side has a black and white picture of a boat with Irish people on it. BA won't release me as I played junior domestic comp and my team was called the boomers.

Reply #276791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754