DJ Rod
Years ago

Bogut OUT of WC's

Bogut has withdrawn from the World Championships due to his finger, arm & elbow injuries.

Story here

A real shame for our hopes but also Bogut himself as he was really looking forward to playing despite the Bucks trying to not get him to play. He has a lot of passion for Aussie hoops and playing for the Boomers.

I still think we are well placed in the Centre dept with Maric, Jawai, Andersen, Nevill & Schensher all quality fill ins, but obviously not All-NBA 3rd team standard :(

Topic #22939 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

He has really just confirmed what we all knew in any case - whether we were in denial about it or not.

We are well placed in the centre department, but nonetheless we have lost our most and most influential player for this year's WC's.

I just hope he is fit and raring to go for London 2012.

Reply #276799 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I hope he isn't another Longley who had an uncanny knack of getting injured (genuinely) before any major international meet.

The years when we had Bradtke, Vlahov, Gaze, Heal and Longley (as well as a young Mackinnon, Dwight and Ronaldson) we really missed Longley against teams with talented bigs.

I think we had John Dorge and Ray Borner replace him. Ugh

Reply #276803 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maric is arguably the best centre NOT curently playing in the NBA given he was named to the All-Euroleague First Team.

We have far greater depth in the Boomers front court that we ever have had, so whilst Bogut is a MASSIVE loss, we have suitably qualfied and talented players to replace him such as Maric.

But I do agree, we used to lack serious punch in the front court without Longley back in the day. Not anymore though!

I would argue our small forwards are the major concern in this Boomer's team, if not the dpeth at the guard spot as well - something that has really never been a problem before.

Reply #276805 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

"What about Wade Helliwell? He's a pretty good player..."

THANK JEEBUS - that this guy isn't entering into the conversation. Abominably (especially offensively) gifted player (apart from his size).

Our big man stocks have come a LONG way in the last 2-4 years...

Reply #276821 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell is not a good player internationally. No Bogut means other bigs will have to step up and that's what we need anyway.

Is it possible for a player (e.g. Jawai) to be a worse player since being on an NBA roster basically due to the fact that he's had very little game time?

Reply #276824 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Cant believe Bogut let go of the ring. I watched the replay 12 times & he simply let go & FUC.. the jam. Just lay it in if you cant complete the spectacular. Shane for the Bucks & Boomers but shouldnt have happened...

Reply #276831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your an idiot orbit

Reply #276840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you're. apoligies

Reply #276841 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

you mean apologies?
I do agree though, orbit where do you get off?

Reply #276842 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Orbit gets off alone in his bedroom...no respect.

Reply #276844 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754