skip
Years ago

36ers sign new player

We just don't know who yet.

Just announced on Facebook/Twitter. Details as to who are coming soon.

Any guesses?

Topic #22946 | Report this topic

The Banker  
Years ago

Did Aaron Bruce decide to play ball with the sixers??

Reply #276854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nope.

Reply #276855 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I assume this is the backup PG role? i.e. an Australian? There were a handful of names being tossed around from memory. Was Carter off the radar?

Reply #276856 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Arrhhh when will we find out? im at work but im gonna be on the net all day trying to find out what's happening...(im gonna lose my job over this lol)

Reply #276858 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm intrigued...any hints?

Reply #276859 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Nathan Crosswell

Reply #276861 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood?

Reply #276862 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Ben Madgen? I would think he could earn a lot more $ in Europe.

Reply #276863 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Dont think it will be Huey

Tigers establish pathways with Basketball Tasmania
March 31, 2010, 10:58 AM AEST

Basketball Tasmania and the Melbourne Tigers have jointly announced the establishment of a scholarship to be made available annually to a promising young Tasmanian male basketballer.

The scholarship will provide an opportunity for the athlete to make at least one visit to Melbourne to live and train with the Tigers and their development squad prior to the NBL season.

Basketball Tasmania General Manager David Scott explained that it would be possible for the winner to make more than one visit to the Tigers if it could be linked to travel to the mainland for another purpose. He noted that the program had been designed to mirror a similar arrangement between Basketball Tasmania and WNBL team the Dandenong Rangers which had now been operating for two years.

"It is expected that the scholarship winner will possess outstanding basketball skills and will have represented Tasmania in under-age basketball," Tasmanian Institute of Sport Basketball Coach Justin Schueller said. He added “It goes without saying that the winner will be of outstanding character and will have genuine aspirations to progress his basketball career.”

Tigers' General Manager Adam Fountain said the club was excited about having the opportunity to connect with the Tasmanian scholarship program. “The Melbourne Tigers are pleased to be able to provide a pathway for a developing Tasmanian player to learn from and work with the club, we hope that the launch of this scholarship is a significant step towards an ongoing partnership between the Basketball Tasmania and the Melbourne Tigers”.

It is anticipated that the scholarship will be advertised in early June with the winner to be announced by mid-July.

Reply #276866 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I think it would have to be the guard spot

Nathan crosswell wouldnt be too bad

Is Brad Davidson someone they may consider???

He might be cheap but someone who is reliable

Reply #276869 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Rhys Carter would be a very handy player - isn't he in Europe at the moment?

Reply #276874 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Rhys is in Sweden playing at the moment

Id like it to be him too but i dont seeing him wanting to return to NBL when he is much better off in europe

Reply #276875 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

Rhys Carter would be a great pick up!

Playing in Spain and averaging 16.3ppg and 4.9apg

Would certainly make our team a fair bit stronger than last season, with 2 imports to come.

Reply #276876 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

Ooops....I mean't Sweden (Yaah!)

Reply #276878 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Banker - I rate brad Davidson as much as anyone and he is very reliable when fit, but I don't think he could be relied on to stay fit.

Reply #276883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt go too far wrong with crosswell if he is willing to come here, he has plenty of experience, would be able to back up the import point. It would also mean we could get a combo guard and run with the import and crosswell at the same time. A player like this would have made a huge difference last season when we couldn't get it up the court when Gilly was off.

Reply #276884 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Doesn't Ben Madgen arrive back from college this week?
Can he play the point guard role?

Reply #276886 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I dont mind Cresswell, but really can;t see Clarke heading in that direction...

Happy if he does, but doubtful..

Madgen sounds right.

Reply #276888 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Im interested to see madgen for the sixers,

I think he can provide a good scoring option for us, hopefully he can fit into the point guard for the sixers

By the sounds of it he could be high on the list?

Reply #276889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, Madgen isn't a PG. More like a Newley, I'd guess.

Reply #276890 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

does anyone know when the announcement will be made? today? Is it the back up PG?

I guess given Magden isnt a PG he would be out of the equation, unless they were willing to have the back up pg minutes played "by committee" by guys like Hill, Ng and possibly the import SF if he is of the Hodge/Tucker mould and can run the back up PG spot.
I personally given Magdens college career thought the 36ers should sign him i guess its probably the case of already having too many SG/SF's on the roster.

If its a PG i hope its either Rhys Carter or Daniel Dillon, id be happy with either of those given Bruce is out of the equation, whats Markovich upto? is he an option? Crosswell would also be good and a more experienced option than guys like Carter and Dillon.

Reply #276892 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - Are you say Madgen is more like Newley or the it is more likely Newley has signed?

Reply #276899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plays like him, can handle the ball.

Reply #276901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Madgen is more like Newley (SG/SF) than a PG.

I'd say the signing is the back-up PG and, while I know who it's likely to be, I'm sure they'll announce it once they have league approval or whatever the hold-up is.

Reply #276902 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I said on here about a week before Dowdell signed that I would like the two remaining non import spots filled with Dowdell and Carter, so I will be pretty happy if thats what happens.

Reply #276907 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

And there's one thing I know and that's Skip knows his stuff ;-)

Reply #276909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back up PG hey? Jason Williams!

It should be Brad Davidson but sounds like it will be Rhys Carter.

Reply #276923 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Rhys Carter would be a good signing, but he is not a PG but an SG, and plsu by all accounts he would rather remain in Sweden with his partner.

Reply #276924 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Main issue I have with getting Crosswell is it leaves us with 19 points. Effectively forcing us to go with a budget 9 import. (I'm under the impression new imports are 10s regardless, could be wrong though)
Crosswell would probably be the best option out there because he's more than able to be relied on to run the point.

Carter would be handy, haven't seen a lot of him, but seem to remember he had something. Seemed more of a shooter type than a creating/penetrating type of point guard from memory which isn't really what we're after. He'd be the second best option that I can see player wise, but it allows us to have 2 10s, so we gain in that aspect over Crosswell.

Reply #276931 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

there was no knowing there Tru Blue. Purely what I would like to see personaly.

Reply #276933 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rhys was a back up point guard for the Dragons and did a reasonable job, with a few spectacular nights mixed in there.

Reply #276938 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Croswell would be good. The two home games vs. Tigers last season, he torched the defense.

Would be interesting to see him for the Sixers; though not my first preference.

Reply #276941 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's not Nathan Crosswell.

Reply #276943 | Report this post

Pick me  
Years ago

Tyler smith from tennessee

Reply #276945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have just been told by " someone in the know" that the signing is indeed Rhys Carter and it will be announced next week

Reply #276955 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carter isn't really a SG but can hit some threes. Had a few streaks for the Dragons and would be good to help spread the D. Is quick, bit of a terrier (like Davidson) and plays defence. I'd be happy with either him or Crosswell.

Reply #276965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can confirm that it will be an import.

Reply #276986 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Thanks Anon.

Reply #276989 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Issac

What can you confirm?
I think you know something about this signing and why havent they came out and announced it yet?

Reply #276992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they know who they a signing why dont they just announce it. whats the big hold up?

Reply #276998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't bothered asking what the hold-up is, but it's probably just waiting on NBL approval. And they can't announce it until it's approved (at least, that used to be a league rule).

Reply #277003 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Issac?

Import or is it going to be the last aussie in the side?

Reply #277004 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

lol @ Skip.

I can confirm it's an import.

And I can confirm its an Aussie.

Also, Ballinger to the Tigers is a done deal and Ninnis will definitely be re-signed.

Reply #277026 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isaac have you changed your name back to Issac again?

I thought only the brad called you that lol.

Reply #277032 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I am curious with the amount of time it is taking to announce this player, which has made me think could it be a star Australian player returning from europe like Worthington, Newley or Ingles. And maybe the sixers play with one import

Reply #277043 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

You'd pray to god that Newley was coming back. Guessing the Rockets have no interest in him, which is a shame.

Reply #277047 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

or maybe the length of the announcement being made is due to them not having a signed contract yet!

Reply #277055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought Newley re-signed on two year deal in Greece recently?

Reply #277063 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Im guessing it must be someone from the european leagues.

Given how long its taking to sign him... must have a reeeeallllly lonnnnnnnngggg name.

Reply #277065 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

WHO THE HELL DID WE SIGN???

Reply #277071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably just Carter or some local seabl former NBL player

Reply #277072 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The wait better be worth it.

Reply #277084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Otherwise what? Riots in the stands? Likely just complications for some reason, not some intentional "get the fans salivating" reason. It's for a back-up PG position, not the arrival of an NBA HoFer.

Reply #277102 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Your Mum confirmed that it's Nick Van Excel.

Reply #277107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754