Isaac
Years ago

NBL appoints And 1 as official apparel partner

In the first major step towards the relaunch of the National Basketball League's official licensed merchandise program, Basketball Australia has announced the appointment of internationally recognised basketball brand And 1 as the Official Apparel Supply Partner of the NBL and its teams.

In a four-year agreement with And 1’s Australian distributor, Basketball Australia has assigned the exclusive apparel supply rights for the NBL and its nine clubs to Fiddes Enterprises (Aust.) Pty. Ltd.

Aaron Flanagan, the NBL’s General Manager of Sales and Marketing, said And 1 was the perfect fit with the NBL brand.

"We went through an exhaustive process to identify the best possible partner for our apparel program," said Flanagan. “Following the successful relaunch of the NBL last year, the securing of the free-to-air partnership with Network Ten and the re-entry of the Sydney Kings into the league for 2010, the opportunity to develop an industry wide apparel partnership was another significant step forward in rebuilding the equity and confidence in the NBL brand.After reviewing submissions from the major players in sports apparel, it became clear that And 1 was the right choice for the NBL."

Flanagan said the deal signalled the commencement of the NBL’s strategic move back into licensed merchandise.

“What was clearly highlighted through this process was that there is a real enthusiasm and appetite for the NBL and basketball generally. And 1 is an incredibly strong global basketball brand with solid relationships in the key retail channels. The opportunity to see NBL Teamwear back on the racks in the major sport retail chains next year is great news for our fans.”
CEO of Fiddes Enterprises Peter Fiddes, who was one of the NBL’s original apparel licensees in the early days of the league, said it was clear that the NBL was starting to regain momentum and the time was right to get back involved.

“We’ve watched with interest as Basketball Australia has undergone the reform process to get the NBL back to where it is today,” said Fiddes. “The steps that have been taken to consolidate the league and unify the clubs convinced us that it was time for us to renew our relationship with the NBL. The very fact that this agreement covers every NBL team is testament to the fact that the new governance structure BA has put in place has positioned the NBL to effectively tap into the true potential of the sport of basketball in this country. We couldn’t be happier to be back on board.”

As the Official Licensed Apparel Partner to the NBL, And1 will supply every NBL team with their on-court and off-court teamwear and will invest significantly into the marketing program to support the licensed range in retail.

As per standard Basketball Australia policy, the financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Four-year deal is a long lock in, so they'll be hoping this doesn't screw up. We've seen some pretty average uniforms over the years.

A few players would be hoping this doesn't include footwear unless they can get exceptions to wear whatever they want. Not everyone loves playing in And 1.

Topic #22954 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I think this is another positive signing for the league. However I do agree about the footwear thing...I do not know anyone that likes or feels good playing in And1 shoes.

Reply #277011 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Their shoes suck big time for playing basketball in. Hopefully it is just apparel.

Also, putting it into a decent price range for once would be a good idea, and also having singlets etc to buy at the game would be good.

Reply #277013 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

you would hope it doesnt include shoes. when Champion had the contract for making the apparel people wore which ever shoes, but in saying that they dont make shoes that im aware of. I dont think the NBL would be that stupid to restrict players in what shoes they are allowed to wear or not wear.

Reply #277024 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

shoes wont play a part. look at a-league who have reebok as jersey rights. players wear whatever they want shoe wise.

also you dont see adelaide crows players wearing adidas boots do u?

Reply #277025 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

In a perfect world, the NBL would be sponsored by TapouT.

Reply #277027 | Report this post

Email  
Years ago

Last time And1 did the uniforms for the 36ers they were terrible. Hopefully the uniforms look good and not street ballish like last time.

Reply #277048 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

how is this a good thing? this is negative as hell... a brand that can't sell is taking care of apparel? not to mention the horrible material they use for everything...

why couldn't we just get Nike!!!! Surely they would be happy to do it for the right cost!

Reply #277058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i like it!!! nba has sponsorships and so should the nbl!!! shows the game is becoming more uniform in all aspects (pardon the pun). tv rights, apparel sponsor, reasonably good players- bring on the start of the season!!!

Reply #277066 | Report this post

Email  
Years ago

dingo, the crows are sponsored by Reebok now and not Adidas . Reebok are actually owned by Adidas anyway.

Reply #277092 | Report this post

Iceman23  
Years ago

Wow, i wonder what other companies were in the mix. Think they could have made a better desicion...but hey, money talks i suppose....

Reply #277326 | Report this post

Bogut's Elbow  
Years ago

I think the home teams will be coloured, and the away teams will wear white. Like the A-League was.

Reply #281648 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754