The Banker
Years ago

Marion Jones to Debut in WNBA

From Adelaide Now

"DISGRACED former sprinter Marion Jones will return to elite American sport at the weekend when she makes her WNBA debut with the Tulsa Shock.

The 34-year-old Jones is best known as the athletics star who won three gold and two bronze medals at the Sydney Olympics, only to lose them after testing positive for a designer steroid.

She also spent six months in prison for lying to federal prosecutors.

Jones is returning to her roots - she was a former point guard who won a national women's college championship at the University of North Carolina back in 1994 - and will turn out for Tulsa, the WNBA franchise that moved out of Detroit in the offseason.

"I've made the choice not to disappear, not to crawl up in a hole, not to be a hermit, but to put myself out there on the highest stage of sport again and have people judge me, criticise me, watch me and then hopefully it helps them in their lives,' Jones said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage
Sport from around the world Courier Mail, 3 hours ago
Margo casts a giant shadow Courier Mail, 23 Apr 2010
Disgraced sprinter Jones in WNBA deal Daily Telegraph, 10 Mar 2010
Marion Jones to play in WNBA Fox Sports, 10 Mar 2010
Disgraced Jones to join WNBA Herald Sun, 10 Mar 2010
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Jones was a superstar, among the world's most recognisable female athletes, but all that was washed away as she spent about six months in a Texas prison for lying about her use of performance-enhancing drugs and her role in a cheque fraud scam.

Jones has maintained that she didn't know she was taking the designer steroid known as "the clear' until well after the Olympics, and she believed Trevor Graham - her coach at the time - was giving her flaxseed oil.

She says her mistake was not stopping to "take a break' before the lies to federal investigators that landed her behind bars.

"It's part of who I am. I think I have really taken and embraced it, and at this point that's all I can do,' Jones said. "I have learned from it. I think I'm a better person because of it.'

Her road back into the public eye began a year ago when she got word that WNBA teams might be interested in her services.

Eight months pregnant at the time, Jones could only laugh at the notion of playing pro basketball. But she talked to her husband about it and realised she still had an unquenched passion to play.

Plus, it would be a way to promote her "Take A Break' platform of thinking before acting - a chance to lead others away from the path that led her astray.

"I have this competitive drive that is kind of hard to kind of channel toward anything else,' said Jones, whose children are now 6, 2, and 10 months.

"I love being a mom, love being a wife but it's just hard to channel that really competitive energy, and so I really missed it. I missed the training, I missed competition and I missed everything related to it.'

Jones still has her sleek, athletic frame although she has run into something new going through the Shock's training camp: she simply isn't used to being a step slow.

It's not her conditioning. Instead, Jones is still trying to regain her basketball instincts. She catches herself thinking before she releases a pass, an extra split-second she can't afford at this level.

"Here, these ladies are all professionals and the coaches have already said they don't have time ... to really teach.'

Topic #22970 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

For mine, this is a marketing gimmick.

The Detroit Shock have moved to Tulsa (still known as the Shock) and would be looking to secure as many bums on seats and as much media exposure as possible.

Granted that Marion was a collegiate basketball star, but the girl has not played competitive basketball since then - more than 6 years ago and she is now 34 years old.

Reply #277274 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

More then likely you are right LC

but as well as they marketing bonus

She was a very talented basketball when she was playing and due to her recent past she is probably being paid little money and is probably a very good short term investment.

She still is an athlete an has remained in top shape plus she has been training for her return to basketball for a while now

She should do well

Reply #277275 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I meant to say more than 16 years ago!

That's a long time not have have played competitive basketball...

Reply #277277 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

This sorta thing is gonna happen more and more now I reckon. There is no way Karmichael Hunt is an AFL player (yet), let alone worth 1Mil a season, but it makes money for the club in terms of membership, moreso than 1Mil worth of mainstream publicity. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more in the states with NBA 10 day contracts.

Reply #277300 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

I would love to be her manager-
Everybody wants to know or hear about 'disgraced' athletes.
Marion would definitely be a drawcard wherever she plays

Reply #277315 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

People don't value their obscurity. She had expressed interest in playing in Australia but missed the league's deadline for registration.

Reply #277425 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Perhaps a "sleeper" that the Lightning are after?

Reply #277427 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed College basketballer - Carla Borrego playing here for T-birds was keen to play here this summer

Reply #277428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754