mystro
Years ago

Frances Team for the World Champs takes a hit

France center-forward Ronny Turiaf is out of the world championship because of a knee injury.

The Golden State Warriors player said in Saturday's edition of L'Equipe newspaper that he is "dejected" and will undergo medical tests to determine whether he needs surgery.

He joins San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker on the list of French players unavailable for the tournament.
From NBA.Com

France are in the same group as New Zealand and Spain, Canada, Lithuania, Lebanon.

Topic #22992 | Report this topic

The Banker  
Years ago

The french have no chance especially without these players,

Spain will finish first, Lithuania then New Zealand then France in 4th spot

Reply #277609 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

they still have a few guns in their team!

Noah
Batum
Peitrus x 2
Petro
Beaubois
Diaw
Mahinmi

Reply #277611 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

oh and Gelabale

Reply #277612 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Nando De Colo who plays with Matt Neilsen at Valencia is a gun. Think he was drafted by the Spurs a couple of years back.

Had a great Eurobasket last year. Look for him to go up a notch in this tournament.

Reply #277614 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

... and Clouseau

Reply #277615 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Banker, I support the Tall Blacks and am a kiwi. Although I can't even see us finishing ahead of France in our pool

They still have a great team. Sure they don't have Parker and Turiaf, but guys like Pietrus(Mickael), Batum, Noah, Diaw and Beabouis are unbelievably skilled players.

Their starting 5 could potentially look like this:

Beaubois
Pietrus (Mikael)
Batum
Diaw
Noah

Thats a scary starting 5, add in players off the bench such as Petro, Mahinmi, Nando De Colo and Gelabale and that is one crazy-good team.
Wouldn't be suprised if they bet Lithuania, to come 2nd in their pool behind Spain.

Reply #277649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kevin saraphin is good too but i think is in the nba draft this year.

Reply #277664 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Just wait til world champs MACDUB

you'll see, the kiwis will finish 3rd ahead of france

Reply #277675 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

you're on drugs

Reply #277679 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

^ Agree

Reply #277680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kiwis? Im pretty shore there called the Tallblacks, but i agree that they will finish ahead of france but i think in 2nd place. Lithuania arnt that good of a team, rely on a lot of old players e.g. Jasikevicious, Siskaukas, Kaukenas but unfortuatly they are playing Lithuania first game so they would have a better chance if they were vs them on day 5 and if players like Klieza, Jasaitas and Lukaukis start shooting from the outside then the kiwis will be in trouble. I think the Tallblacks can beat them on there day though, especially if Rickert gets his NZ passport and when Penney's got a hot hand anything can happen. Pretty shore Phil Jones is coming out of retirement aswell and I love big Alex Pledger, He is a force to be reckon with in the future, he's got a nice mid range jumper, not bad in the post, good shotblocker and pounds the boards. I like this team:

Rickert/Pledger
Bradshaw/Vukona/Loe
Abercrombie/Cameron
Penney/Jones
Tait/Webster/Fitchett

Reply #277681 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What the hell?
Your trying to tell us that Lithuania aren't that great. Big Call!
Like I said, Im a NZer.
The TB's, on their last european tour had many of those players you mentioned above (Penney, Abercrombie, Vukona, Pledger, Tait, Loe and Fitchett).

How did they go? They lost to Estonia twice, Italy once (by 18), Canada once (by 22), Belgium once (by 22) and Finland once (by 11).
Now no disrespect to the likes of Estonia, Belgium and Finland, if the TB's can't beat these minor European teams, how do you think they will do against Lithuania who is a European powerhouse?

Reply #277697 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And to back up MACDUB further, with the exception of Canada, the teams the Kiwi's lost to are not even competing at the WC's!

Reply #277700 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, can't see that NZ lineup outplaying the starting 5 MACDUB listed for France above. The only guy I would even consider taking ahead of any of those French players is Penney. Even then, its a tough call to take him ahead of the extremely athletic, tall Pietrus, who can finish at the basket AND shoot from the outside (though he is a bit streaky).

Reply #277701 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ have their work cut out for them but I would not judge them on that tour of Europe and NZ have proven before that they can rise to the occasion on the big stage.
France still have a lot of depth to select from and Pietrus is insane and highly underrated but America is a prime example of a team of stars as opposed to a star team. Hopefully the Tallblacks combination's and team play and hustle can negate a bit of the other teams "star" value. Tony Parker is the biggest loss for France, he is so quick and capable of creating scoring chances out of nothing.
Spain will def take out the group tho.

Reply #277711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754