Isaac
Years ago

36ers confirm Rhys Carter signing

The Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers can confirm that NBL championship winner Rhys Carter will join the team in season 2010/ 11. The 190cm guard ( 6'3) will look to play behind a yet to be determined point guard for the team.

Since winning an NBL championship with the South Dragons, Carter has been playing in Europe for Swedish team Gothia Basket.

In his last game for them he scored a point per minute 36 points whilst connecting on an impressive 7 of 13 three point shots.

His European averages for the season where 16 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals per game.

Coach Marty Clarke feels that Carter’s all round tenacity and outstanding team presence will be a valuable factor for the upcoming season. Carter is equally excited about playing for one of the game’s most respected coaches.

Carter will join his team mates, including former Dragon team mate Nathan Herbert, for the first training session on July 11.

Topic #22998 | Report this topic

Elite  
Years ago

Some nice numbers there.

Reply #277720 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

what is david coopers future looking like?

Reply #277721 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good signing at Carter.

Cooper won't be back in a 36ers uniform, that is for sure. He's past his use by date now.

Reply #277728 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Only the 2 import spots to go now, so Cooper is obviously out.

Is there any chance of getting Newley with one of the import spot's money?

Reply #277730 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No chance on getting Newley. He has posted great numbers during the TBL season and would be looking at getting picked up by a Euroleague team in the off-season.

Reply #277736 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Any chance of luring Ebi Ere to the 36ers?

Providing he doesn't take up all the salary cap?
Provided he does not deprive others of opportunity?
Or does he prefer to remain overseas with the bigger money?

I wouldn't mind him in a 36ers uniform, exciting to watch.

Reply #277759 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The buying power of the Aussie dollar's going down.
Money's getting shallow and weak.
Imports will cost 20% more.
A player on USD20,000 a month is a quarter of the salary cap. Two good Imports - half the cap.
That will change things for 36ers and NBL as to quality of Imports.

Reply #277903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cant agree too much with that. The NBL has still pulled quality imports when the exchange rate was much, much, much worse than US80c.

Reply #277904 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I too would love to see ebi ere in a sixer uniform.

A very exciting player to go a watch every week!

Reply #277908 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Just so you know...

The dollar was around the 70c mark when we got in a couple of guys by the name of Kevin brooks and Darnell Mee.

It was around the 50c mark when Willie Farley signed with us in 2001.

For a more recent example, when Hodge came back for the 2nd time, the Dollar was at 65c.

Reply #277918 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

And long may the dollar continue to plummet, at least until I send my pounds over!

Reply #277925 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I guess we work around it. Salary cap, exchange rate, points cap.
Schenscher may have been over the top.
I was expecting Ben Fitz to lead me in a cheerful dance....with Cortez Groves as an Aussie, in this spot

Reply #278082 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Reply #278087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An extra $15K, huge. Preparing the ground for another cheap import?

Reply #278097 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We can only spend the cap.
The dollar will get weaker if the mining gates lock and more work is cut. While retail struggles - sometimes no one wants what you got. Sometimes you can't give it away.

(Nevill Burston Tragardh Helliwell - look pretty good)

Reply #278206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suggest we'll be spending a lot less than the cap and don't get sucked in by the scare campaign by Big Mining/News Ltd/Liberal Party. They ain't locking no gates lol

Reply #278210 | Report this post

Ben Fitzsimons  
Years ago

To clarify, that was a question asked of me about recruiting the imports and I made the remark that whoever they end up being they will be more expensive this week than last.

To explain further imports have an expectation of being paid in net US dollars. ( they dont get paid in USD , but the AUD equivalent)

So whatever we pay them here needs to equate to a value agreed to in USD net of taxes.

As the dollar weakens it will cost us and other NBL teams more for the same player. So a 10% drop in the exchange rate obviously equates to that player being 10% more expensive.

Also I can assure you that we are going to be very near the cap, as we were last year. I wish to dispel any thoughts that last years team was put together on a shoe string.

We strategically need to be able to have some cap space up our sleeve for just in case situations and also the ability to afford pay increases next year should we be successful and want to keep the team together.

So taking our best case assume we win the title but then may have to blow up the team to stay under the cap potentially.

For example, take Perth, they have won the premiership yet now have a 10 man squad with only 1 import. Fair to assume that the players they have signed this year are being paid more than they were last year.

I hope this helps

Reply #278214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754