Clem Scott
Years ago

Officiating Directions and Code of Conduct

As most players and parents should be aware, BSA introduced the Officiating Directions and Code of Conduct which was implemented on the 17th of May.
The guidelines included specific directions for referees and UIC. It was to eliminate rough conduct, incidental contact, abuse towards officials etc.

My questions are:
How many of us have even noticed this implementation
How has it effected the game, good or bad
and how do you think it will effect the game.

Most of the directions are logical but I personally have concerns that it will remove any physicality from our game and favour the offensive player against solid defense. This also will have negative ramifications when we vs. the Vics.

This thread is to guage the effectiveness of these Directions. Please, no sniping or bagging refs.

Topic #23038 | Report this topic

sturt hater  
Years ago

just gives the refs more reasons to tech foul a coach, saw a coach get tech fouled for not sitting down the other week, and then for throwing his white board marker in the air!!!

Reply #278169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is checking on the officials because a lot of issues are not going away. Someone will be badly injured at Southern. What are the steps involved in reporting officials for failing to protect players?
What steps do BSA have for making officials accountable and who checks on UIC and whether they are addressing issues?

Reply #278173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Nobody
2. Ageed
3. None
4. Nothing
5. Nobody

Reply #278181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about when the UIC is the worst ref at the stadium!!

Reply #278182 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

Can someone clarify the "someone will be badly injured at Southern" please? And is this the stadium where "the UIC is the worst ref in the stadium?"

Just a point re the coach not sitting down and throwing something- is he/she not showing dissent and therefore not setting the correct example to their charges? I thought a lot of directions accross the board- coaches, players, officials and parents- have been introduced. Why pick on one group?

Reply #278184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My concern is how do you actually lodge a complaint against the UIC when he is the person you have to get and give the form to!!

Reply #278186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you lodge complaints against officials and to whom?

Reply #278190 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

A umpire can not tell you to sit down. they can tell you to stop, or thats enough, but at no stage can they tell you to sit down.

Coaches have rights also and that includes asking a umpire a question. (at the right time and in a respectful manner.)

The main problem we have at an ABL and Div 2 level is that we have coaches and players that have more experience than the umpires out there. And when u have a young cocky, know it all umpire trying to tell these experienced coaches and players what the rules are or how to play the game, it no wonder the coaches and players are seeing red.

I understand that without umpires there are no games, but umpires (especially the younger ones coming up through the ranks) need to understand that their shit does stink and that they need to be more open to listen to the constructive criticism that coaches are willing to give them. (in a respective manner may I add.)

Reply #278195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The officiating at Southern is getting dangerous with players being repeatedly thrown to the floor and having their legs taken out in layups.
I don't give a flying FFFFF about missing the odd calls but allowing dangerous and deliberately dangerous acts to go unwhistled is rock bottom.
The lack of protection for players will end in serious, and I mean serious injury occurring.

Reply #278207 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

Are we talking Seniors during the week, Juniors or both? And is it a specific ref or refs that you say are allowing this to happen? Cant say Ive seen anything as a pattern happening but Im not there every night. Has anyone brought this to anyone like a Court Supervisor's attention?

And will anybody address my questions re the onus on ALL eg Coach, Player, Spectator and Official to go by the directions and guidelines? Or will this just become a ref bashing topic?

Reply #278211 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

It may well become a ref bashing topic - but the standard of reffing in SA is very poor.
You cannot regulate (Code of Conduct) to solve the symptoms that are defined as the problem in the CofC.
Victoria has shown that strong, well trained refs will keep the problems in check.
Where there is no control and/or consistency you will get problems.
Pay yhe refs what they deserve and not peanuts - and you wont get monkeys.

(I saw the CofC "enforced" last night in the usual out of balance manner last night at Wayville. Dumb dumb dumb)

Reply #278758 | Report this post

Maude  
Years ago

The standard of basketball in Victoria is a lot higher than that of SA too - it comes from having a greater population and more people to choose from.

In my opinion the standard of refereeing in SA won't improve until we get rid of the abuse and inappropriate behavior from players, spectators and coaches, which hopefully the new officiating directions will help to do. Of the few referees that SA does have, a huge percentage give it away before they have enough experience to be a 'strong, well-trained' ref, due to the fact that they are abused week in, week out and don't enjoy it.

Lenovo, in what way are you offering this 'constructive criticism'? While I don't doubt that there are referees that act this way, perhaps this attitude is a defence mechanism to maintain composure and control during a difficult situation on the court? I know I myself sometimes have to use a similar thing in order to deal with players/coaches that don't respond to anything else. If you have some feedback for the referees, approach the evaluator/court supervisor and ask them to pass it on, or approach the referee after the game when the heat and emotion has died down from the situation. If they are anything like myself, they will really appreciate the feedback and the fact that you made the effort to pass it on.

I can't speak for anyone else obviously but I realise that many coaches and players have been around for a lot longer than us 'up and coming' referees. However, when on the court referees have to be in control of the game. If you are criticizing/critiquing a referee during a game (as opposed to asking for an explanation or interpretation) then you are in control - we can't be influenced during a game by the constructive criticisms that everyone is willing to throw out there. For example, if I were to act on something an opposition coach said and that changed the way I was refereeing I'm sure you would be pissed!

We do appreciate your concerns and we do appreciate your feedback. It just needs to be given to us after the game :)

Reply #278816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754