The Truth
Years ago

Justin Wilkey and Jye Watson

Tonights game agaisnt southern proved to me that there were three stand out centrals players in justin wilkey jye watson and paul vandenburgh which in my opinion are alot better and have more potential then brad Gerlach yet he is the one playing for the sixers why is this soo ??

Topic #2304 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

No idea re Watson. Maybe Reggie is too old? As for Wilkey, maybe Gerlach sticking with one team makes him look more stable to the coaches? Who knows, but didn't Wilkey have his time on the squad? It's not just ability but personality and attitude. Vasiljevic is a strong player and has great potential but didn't get a shot with the 36ERS, even after proven NBL ability. Those would be my guesses.

I mean, the coaches aren't stupid -- they've been involved with the NBL for a long time either playing or coaching and they know what they're looking for in players.

Reply #26043 | Report this post

Safari Cup  
Years ago

Dont forget Wilkey satout most of his time with the sixers cause he was injured.

Reply #26062 | Report this post

Safari Cup  
Years ago

Apparantly Terry Harvey got MVP for the game. Will that be on Whitmores ABL bloopers tape?

Reply #26066 | Report this post

Safari Cup  
Years ago

PS: harvey is a gun!

Reply #26067 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Terry Harvey&&..Centrals

Reply #26076 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

maybe whoever stated that about whitmore should have a look at the mans contribution to basketball and rethink...whitmore is a basketball legend.

Reply #26090 | Report this post

Safari cup  
Years ago

Jimmy, It was just a bit of a joke in reference to:

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/2280/#25898

Nothing against Whitmore.

Reply #26091 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Actually went to this game, and both these boys can flat out go. They hit some tough shots, Wilkey was the man in the first, I think he had 20 at the half, and then after half time it was Jye's turn to rip it up.
Some highlights were the dual between Hardiman and Watson, they were going at it. I thought Southern really missed Ben Hodges inside, as Hoban and Bowley were a bit quiet. Ricky had his boys trapping the hell out of Southern, and with Reg at the top of the 2-2-1, there are a lot of deflections throughout the game.

It was the first game I had been to the Starplex, but it was a very enjoyable game, they had a Lion mascot giving out easter eggs, they had the mexican wave going on, it was hilarious!!! The commentator was a crack up, especially "The coolest guy on the court right now is Reggie".

Oh, one last thing, others may not believe it, but I saw Wilkey playing defense last night. I know it sounds too hard to believe but it happened, he played BOTH ends!! (sorry Wilk, just had to put that in)

Reply #26101 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Whoops sorry, just looked at the box score, Hoban was good last night, just Bowley a bit quiet, and without another inside guy (Hodges), it affected them.

Reply #26102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

northerner did i hear right! you mentioned wilkey and defense in same breath?

don't tell me he actually played a team game if he did i might actually believe in the easter bunny

Reply #26109 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

who is giving it to whitmore? when someone says basketball he is the man who comes to mind not Michael Jordan or James. Did you know he is taking over BASA.

Reply #26120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why did the women and men get the same ref for both games at starplex?

is this a new basa money saver?

Reply #26123 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

I take back what I said about Terry Harvey I thought he was Scooby Doo, I have now been corrected and feel terrible about ragging on TH. I have had the pleassure of playing a few seasons with Terry he is a very hard working individual, his Kurt Rambis style of play will compliment the scoring power of the big 3. I am not taking over BASA the money they had put on the table was not quite enough although I did think about it long and hard.
I saw what Lion Tamer wrote last week on jumping Jye, someone better sit up and take notice, this kid is for real, he will be playing NBL next year somewhere for sure.

Reply #26126 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Just a question, did you just nickname him jumpin yourself Scott or is his nickname, but i'm yet to see him jump. He didn't look like he had hops when we played him.

Reply #26131 | Report this post

Two Timer  
Years ago

No worries Whitmore. But I did choke the dunk, it would have been nice to stuff it though, I just never rose up on anyone before, thought I'd give it a shot.

Reply #26136 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

mate i regret not trying it more myself if I had the time again I would have tried to dunk on people at every chance, in time people remember the dunks never the misses.

Panther, i think the court side anouncer at the starplex named him that after the long jumper, but you are correct i think it is because he has no hops to speak of at all.
Sorry Jye.

Reply #26137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get me a job Scott, you know who I am!!!!!! Help me leave Victoria! lol

Reply #26154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#26123)
maybe you should check out the facts the ref who did both games was only ROSTERED for the men's game.

he got a call about 10mins before the women's game was to commence to say that there had been a no show by a ref and he busted a gut to get there to help out and he ran both games.

Reply #26187 | Report this post

good job  
Years ago

Anonymous must work for BASA ..

Well done to the ref anyway for making the effort!!

Reply #26219 | Report this post

nugget  
Years ago

I don't understand the negative judgements about Wilkey's defensive efforts. I don't think you really know how much effort he puts into his game whether that be offensively or defensively. Maybe you should pay more attention.

Reply #28127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two timer, don't tell me you're cheating on me!

Reply #29666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Now! You know how it is!!!!! The X factor is here to stay baby...

Reply #29667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754