Anonymous
Years ago

36ers Imports

Any news on who we are looking at

Topic #23049 | Report this topic

dingo  
Years ago

can i throw up jason crowe as an option. he is cheapish and you know he will get the job done for you.

Reply #278294 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Nah. Sixers have a great history of picking fresh imports (unfortunately muddied by a string of "bad" seasons).

I'd rather Clarkey gets out and about and does some searching overseas.

In a related matter; I wonder if anyone is going to take the plunge and go for Homicide. Still rather shocking that he has been dumped and there have been absolutely no bites yet.

Reply #278297 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Pretty sure we would have a thread titled "...... is new Sixers import" if anyone new it.

Reply #278299 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gilchrist and Crowe are similar type hot/cold imports - I think Adelaide need a steady head who can get the best out of their teammates.

Reply #278306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares! your team will suck anyway

Reply #278314 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

homicide stated on his twitter he will be in europe. also blaze have the best history of picking fresh imports with all their imports having no nbl experience (bar bennet davison though was 10 years ago).

Reply #278316 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

if thats true about williams its a huge loss for the NBL. Coming in to arguably the most important season in NBL history and the games 2 biggest names in Hodge and Williams will probably not be in the league. You either love them or hate them but they draw fans and attract people to watch more than any other players in the league. I hope for the NBL's sake they find some good exciting imports to come into the league and take over from them 2.

Reply #278319 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Thanks for the educated response anon.....and cheers for the heads up. Assclown.

Reply #278326 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd welcome Ebi Ere back to the league and 36ers if he wants to return Down Under.

He's exciting. Dunks and jump shots.

As long as he doesn't cost the whole salary cap and not deprive the youth, it's all good.

Reply #278333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've gone off on Ebi Ere after his last season here with the Tigers. He shot poorly and cost them a few games from not knowing when to give it up/stop shooting. He'd have to be starting to get on a bit in age too given it's seven years since he first played in the NBL.

Reply #278341 | Report this post

Volunteer  
Years ago

Heard talk of tyler smith from tennessee

Reply #278345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I see your Smith and raise my perennial favourite Josh Pace again. At least one NBL assistant coach thinks he'd be good in the AU NBL, so I wonder if he might get his first run this season somewhere that needs a SF.

re: Williams - nice that he's good for the league, but individual teams are there to win, he's expensive, and looks fine for a decent team but maybe not a championship team.

Reply #278347 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Josh Pace and Ty McKee to round out the roster

Reply #278352 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The stats suggest that people havent flocked to see the Crocs at away games in the past few years anyway.

Reply #278353 | Report this post

From Melbourne  
Years ago

If you want a good, consistent, cheap and inexpensive import, take a gamble on CJ massingale playing in seabl. Lead the league (or close to) for the past 4 years and has a great shot, drive, pass and defense. Tears Seabl apart without sweating!

Reply #278355 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apparently Cairns have been chatting to him. I think if they could get Kendall to play alongside him so teams cant sweat on his ballhandling, then he could do ok. With Jones, Williams, Grabau, Kendall and an import three he wouldnt need to be a star, just find the bigs off the pick and roll and hit the open J, things he can definitely do.

Reply #278359 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

What about Ubaka at the point? You could certainly do alot worse.

Reply #278360 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I can confirm that they will be imports.

Reply #278363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like a good size 2/3

Reply #278364 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

anon is more like ass bandit

Reply #278371 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

ubaka is amzing, only reason hes leaving blaze is cause hes a natural pg and didnt work well with both him and gibbo in the team. his asking price is also high. hes playing nba summer league and think he could play nba as a backup but more likely europe imo.

Reply #278376 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i agree with Isaac, i reckon Josh Pace would be a good pick up, he appears to be doing very, very well in the NZBL and given he is playing their he probably wouldnt be too expensive for a NBL team, and can play PG, SG and SF which may be handy.

I also noticed Mike Helms is playing in the NZBL would he an option as a scoring combo guard?? probably would come cheap also given playin in NZBL??
Given Pace's versatility i wouldnt mind if the 36ers signed both of these guys as their imports, other names i wouldnt mind seeing as 36ers or in the NBL are Farley, Troy Jackson, Kevin Ratzch, Freddy Robinson and Tony Danridge from HSH tournament, id guess all would come failry cheap if thats what the 36ers are after in atleat one of the import spots, also Ty McKee would be a awesome signing,
many options out there faces we have seen and many we havnt heres hoping the coaches pick the right ones!

Reply #278379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suggested Ubaka about five minutes after last season finished, I think he'd be an excellent signing.

Reply #278402 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

as i said u couldnt do better than ubaka but hear he is asking 200k+ and could well make nba this year as well some lucrative european offers well above 200k.

Reply #278408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make up your mind Thomas, is the only reason Ubaka left the Blaze because he is a natuaral PG or is it his obscenely overinflated opinion of what he should be paid?

Probably could also add in a lack of discipline and the fact he was out partying and drinking last season when he was injured and this put his rehab back by a week or 2 and was enough to stop him playing in the finals. That certainly didnt go down well with the powers that be!

All that said, he is a great drawcard and a very exciting player who will create excitement, the sixers could do a lot worse, provided they can negotiate his salary down to a realistic number.

Reply #278414 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd put Ubaka in with Gilchrist and Crowe - too inconsistent. At the Gold Coast if he only played one quarter of good basketball that was enough because Harvey, Gibson, Petrie, Maxey and Goulding would carry the load.

Adelaide need a smart, steady, consistent player who rarely makes mistakes and can make his teammates better. Ubaka doesnt fit any of those categories.

Reply #278416 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

ubaka is leaving blaze because he is a natural pg and also the $$$ factor. he is a gun but dissapointed me when he sat out the finals series where i personally felt he was up to playing.

Reply #278417 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He isnt a natural point guard in international style basketball, he dominates the ball far too much and doesnt have a great feel for what is developing off the ball.

I wonder what sort of European offers are there after his disappointing first stint there.

Reply #278421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jake - Ty McKee will be unlikely to get a gig. Not only was he done drink driving in a club car, he told no one about it, lost his license, and was done drink driving again with out a license.

Regardless of how good a player is, clubs don't need that kind of headache.

Reply #278422 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I should add that I think Ubaka is a guy with great talent, but I think he needs steadying influences around him to bring that out, and I am not sure Adelaide has that at the moment.

Reply #278426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you're being a touch hard on Ubaka paul. What I saw of him last season he seemed to be able to handle the PG spot well enough, scoring wise could get hot and seemed pretty reliable in the clutch (something this 36ers team will need). Similar to Gilchrist but no where near as erratic.

If he's asking for $200K he's obviously not worth that but at around $140K-$150K I think he'd be worth it.

FWIW, I thought Crowe was a bit unfairly maligned too.

Reply #278430 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

our answer is here
http://linky.com.au/kx04h

Reply #278431 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

what with you guys and tyler smith? sure hes a good player but is he really a chance of coming to aus?

Reply #278434 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

oooooohhhhhh aaaaahhhhhh uuuuubaaakkkaaaa
ooh aah ubaka

Reply #278435 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

James White or Bobby Jones.

Reply #278473 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

What do people think of Euro players as imports? I know Melbourne struggled with the guy from Estonia. Would there be a market. We always seem to find imports from the US who have been playing in Europe, why not a decent Euro player. PG from europe are very fundermental. I just think there is just as big population in Europe playing basketball as there is in USA.

Reply #278528 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Can we compete with the salaries the Euro guys would get? I could be wrong but can't the euro born players play anywhere in Europe without taking up an import slot? If thats the case then the chances of a player coming out here is slim to none being that they will be able to play closer to home on a similar or better salary. The US players have less chance to stick with a Euro team because there is a limit on imports.

Also, from memory the Estonian guy came out specifically to play with Anstey as they were close when they played in the NBA together.

I would love to see some Euro players out here but i think all the quality players would have more lucrative offers in Europe.

Reply #278534 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Most teams bring in imports to give them a skill set they dont have ie speed, athleticism, defence, bulk etc. Most Euro guys dont offer all that much a different look to ballers from this part of the world, and those guys who are good enough to be top level players here are on megabucks in Europe.

Reply #278537 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Yeah thought that would be the case. Theres always that maybe someone wants to enjoy our country after playing 10 years in europe and already has the money. Thanks for the comments

Reply #278589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't we get Julius hodge

Reply #278818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bobby Jones has just finished playing in Italy with Dontaye Draper and Ebi Ere, i think Tony Danridge would be a good pick.

Reply #278834 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Bobby Jones is a lockdwon defender with NBA range 3. He scored 20 points in an NBA game once and set the record for the most 10-day contracts in a season or something.

Reply #278903 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754