Avv
Years ago

Boomers squad announced yet?

Haven't heard anything as yet and thought surely this would be known by now with the Argentina series only a couple of weeks away.

Anyone heard anything?

Topic #23103 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be announced on June 24.

END OF THREAD.

Reply #279103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - why end of thread?

People not allowed to discuss who they think will be in it?

Reply #279105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You didn't ask who people think will be in it. And there are 300 other threads for that anyway.

Reply #279107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MILLS AVAILABLE FOR ARGENTINA SERIES

Golden Star Boomers point guard and Olympian Patrick Mills has announced he will be available for the upcoming Boomers v Argentina Series from June 25-29 in Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Mills has returned from his rookie NBA season with the Portland Trail Blazers and will join the Boomers at a training camp in Perth on June 20, ahead of the series opener on June 25.

Twenty-one year old Mills is keen to rejoin the Australian team for the first time since Beijing.

"No question I'm excited to be working with the Boomers again," Mills said.

“Playing for Australia is definitely my number one choice and being a part of the Olympic camp in Beijing was great so the next couple of years I’m just looking to continue to represent Australia with pride and it’s starting with the Argentina Series.”

After recovering from a broken foot in 2009 and playing limited minutes for Portland in the NBA, Mills is eager to get some much-needed playing time ahead of the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey from August 28 - September 12.

“The year that I’ve had, I haven’t really had the chance to get out there and play a full solid game for a while so I’m looking to just get out on the floor and get that feeling back. Just trying to get as prepared as I can come the World Championships,” Mills said.

The team to contest the Boomers World Challenge against the world number one Argentineans will be announced on June 24.

Reply #279110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mills/gibson
newley/bruton
ingles/barlow
nielsen/jawai
maric/andersen

Reply #279112 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The team will be announced on June 24, pretty sure a squad will be anounced before then, as they have a camp in Perth leading up to the first game.

Reply #279115 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW - Maric and Bruton will still be involved in club finals until at least mid June so I doubt they will be involved in this series (although Bruton may given he had two months off at the end of the NBL season).

Reply #279116 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There is a list of invotes to the camp out there somewhere as the players who have been invited know who they are. So for mine, the squad is already decided and known, just not released perhaps? Another missed PR and marketing opportunity by BA?

Mills, Bose and a few others have already come out to publicly state they will be in camp next week.

Reply #279117 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Maybe it will announced when Brett Brown gets back in the country. I think that was any day now from memory...

Reply #279123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Main chances of making the team:
GUARDS: Patrick Mills, Calvin Bruton, Adam Gibson, Matthew Dellavedova, Brad Newley, Joe Ingles.

FORWARDS: Aleks Maric, Mark Worthington, Nathan Jawai, Matthew Nielsen, David Barlow.

CENTRES: David Andersen, Luke Neville, Aaron Baynes.

I'm going with a twelve here:
G Mills, Gibson, Bruton
G Newley, Ingles
F Barlow, Worthington
F Nielsen, Jawai, Maric
C Andersen, Neville

We really lack good shooters and powerful inside forces. Andersen is a shooter and Nielsen is a scrapper. We need a Damien Ryan from five years ago or a younger defensive minded James Harvey for triples

Reply #279127 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aleks Maric is a centre not a forward, and by international standards, David Andersen is a forward.

Luke Nevill does not have an "e" on the end of his surname either.

Totally agree on the fact that we lack a pure shooting guard or two in contention for selection. In past years we had the likes of Gaze, Heal, Maher etc etc. I would argue the closest we have to someone like that is Bruton.

Reply #279129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruton/Mills/Gibson
Newley/Goulding
Barlow/Ingles
Jawai/Ballinger
Andersen/Maric/Nevill

Reply #279131 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Those squads would look so much better with a 'Bogut' in there somewhere. (wipes away tear......)

Reply #279140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont really rate Andersen especially the way the Americans pushed him around like a rag doll. Nielson is to old we gotta look to the future and besides we wont win without Bogut so you should play a more youth side without Nielson. Goulding in my opinion is one of the best perimeter shooters in Australia and I think he would be handy in the rubbish minutes coming on and knocking down shots. Newley, Barlow and Ingles will be in a 3 man rotation in SF and SG so you only need a SG who can come in and knock down shots like Goulding who is also very young. Jawai has to be in the team and probably have to take a real big man like Nevill who is also young. And chuck in that veteran CJ. He will have to start over Mills because i think Patty is better coming off the bench it just gives you that fire power.

Reply #279144 | Report this post

MAD0443  
Years ago

Boomers Vie for World Challenge Spot
June 08, 2010, 12:05 PM AEST
By: Kimberley Lewis

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce the 13 athletes invited to a Golden Star Boomers Workout at the AIS next week.

The Workout, from June 12-14 at the AIS, is a crucial part of the selection process for the Boomers World Challenge against Argentina on June 25, 27 and 29 in Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide respectively.

The best performers from the Workout will join several overseas-based Boomers at Boomers training camp from June 20-24 in Perth ahead of the series opener.

Featuring in the list of invitees are 2009 Stankovic Cup winners Matthew Dellavedova and Damian Martin, and 2009 FIBA Oceania Championship Boomer Adam Gibson.

Stephen Weigh was awarded with selection after showing some great form in a championship-winning National Basketball League season alongside Martin at the Perth Wildcats and Anthony Petrie and Chris Goulding return to the Boomers after helping the Gold Coast Blaze to the finals; Goulding posted career best numbers in 2009/10.

Getting their first call-up to the Boomers are 2009 Australian University Representatives Ben Allen and Anatoly Bose. The pair had spectacular seasons in college in the USA; Allen, alongside Boomers teammate Dellavedova, advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament with St Mary's University while Bose averaged a career best 21.1 points in 2009-10 for Nicholls State.

Basketball Australia CEO Larry Sengstock said the wealth of talent in the group was a sign of the strength of the NBL with nine of the 13 players contracted to NBL teams.

"This is a great opportunity for these players to build on from a fantastic season in the NBL into the senior national team and use this Workout to push for a spot in the Argentina Series, and the World Championship to follow."

While Olympian Patrick Mills yesterday declared his availability for the Argentina Series and will take part in the Perth camp, the full squad to attend the camp will be named at the conclusion of the Workout on June 15.

The team to contest the Boomers World Challenge against world number one Argentina will be announced on June 24.

Boomers Workout Invitees
Name/Height/Age/Position/Club

Ben ALLEN / 211cm / 23 / Centre / Townsville Crocodiles
Anatoly BOSE / 200cm / 21 / Guard / Nicholls State University (US)
Jason CADEE / 185cm / 19 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / 190cm / 19 / Guard / St Mary’s University (US)
Adam GIBSON / 188cm / 23 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Chris GOULDING / 191cm / 21 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Alex LOUGHTON / 205cm / 27 / Forward / Cairns Taipans
Ater MAJOK / 208cm / 22 / Forward / University of Connecticut (US)
Steven MARKOVIC / 190cm / 25 / Guard / KK Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Serbia)
Damian MARTIN / 188cm / 25 / Guard / Perth Wildcats
Luke NEVILL / 216cm / 24 / Centre / Melbourne Tigers
Anthony PETRIE / 203cm / 27 / Forward / Gold Coast Blaze
Stephen WEIGH / 198cm / 21 / Guard / Perth Wildcats

Reply #279158 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Anon, you want the team to go young but you also want CJ to start over Patty??? Your not making much sense. I am of firm belief that you put your best side out for international games.

Also, how can you not rate Andersen? The guy has more than proved himself in Europe and he just had a rookie year in the NBA where he actually received minutes...I agree that he is a soft type player but he is certainly a lock for the Boomers squad.

Neilsen just had probably his best year overseas, so there is no way you leave him out to go young.

I'd like to see something like this:

Mills/Bruton/Gibson
Newley/Ingles
Worthington/Barlow
Neilsen/Jawai
Andersen/Maric/Nevill

Reply #279163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give ballinger a shot.If he does well in this small series then he could be headed to turkey

Reply #279195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW, It doesn't seem like Brett Brown rates Jawai or Ballinger.

Reply #279200 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most would have Jawai in the team and a lot rate Ballinger. - Brown might be a little disillusioned.

Reply #279214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown has been blazing it up with Luke Whitehead. Jawai is a gun player how can you not rate him?? Second best PF/C to Bogut easily. Andersen is a pansey, Nielson cant see through his hair and is to old, Nevill is the BFG, Baynes is the air ball king, Maric is solid but has not proved at the international stage, dont even get me started on Schenscher, Helliwell can go fall down a well,wasn't Ben Allen outstanding!! at high stakes hoops, Ater Majok nuffing else but an ordinary player going to a good college, Matt knight apparently the big man who will get the wildcats back-to-back championships(cough!!cough!!hes 6'9), Has Loughton ever got a rebound in his career,Forman has no idea how to play and is scared so he just chucks the ball away some how goes in the net,Khazzouh can play a tune on his kazoo on the bench.

Bit Harsh, well not a bit, very harsh, but hey im a kiwi. Anyway im just saying Jawai is your 2nd best PF/C. Just standing up for Jawai. He's one of the reason why i will be watching the boomers vs argentina and the Fiba WC's. For the record I dont rate Brett Brown.

Reply #279220 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bit simplistic anon. Jawai has a lot of potential, but you have to recognise his flaws too. Against NZ it was obvious that he was too slow to guard the pick and roll, or get away from the rim to guard anyone. He also doesn't block shots or play good defence. Hopefully that will change, but last year he was certainly a liability on the defensive end.

Reply #279227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is a gun player how can you not rate him??- Did you see him verse New Zealand?

Second best PF/C to Bogut easily.- Umm, Aleks Maric was All Euroleague first team!

Nielson cant see through his hair and is to old,- He just won an MVP award over in Europe.

Maric is solid but has not proved at the international stage- Neither has Jawai

,Matt knight apparently the big man who will get the wildcats back-to-back championships(cough!!cough!!hes 6'9)- We played best last season with Galen Young at centre, who is shorter than Knight.

Khazzouh can play a tune on his kazoo on the bench.- You're kidding me?

Reply #279235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Brown bring Jawai off the bench in one of those two NZ games and in the other ripped him out for a long spell on the bench when he was playing well? While I disagree with it to me it's clear he doesnt like/rate Jawai and for that reason unfortunately think Jawai will be lucky to make the WC team despite Bogut's absence.

Ballinger has said before when with the Boomers in camp last year he didn't think Brown rated him and Balls felt he was just making up the numbers at the camp.

Reply #279238 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Mills, Bruton
Newley, Bose
Barlow, Ingles
Jawai, Ogilvy
Andersen, Maric, Nevill

The final player is either worthington or Gibson, Man has anyone watched Bose play, far out that guy is andrew gaze with more athletisism. The guy can shoot, put the ball on the floor, rebound, assist. 1 good year and he could get drafted.

One thing im pleased with this forum is everyone agrees that the majority of the squad needs to be overseas based players and not nbl players. We need our best players, like the socceroos they bring their best players in from all over the world and we should do the same for the boomers.

ps. Ogilvy should have declared for the 2008 NBA draft he could have been a lottery pick, now i dont think he will get drafted at all.

Reply #279254 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, you have to understand WHY Brown 'ripped Jawai out'. As I said above, it was because his lack of mobility was being exploited by NZ defensively. They were scoring at will by running a high pick and roll that forced our big man out to the top of the key to provide help D. Neither Jawai, nor Ogilvy (though he was the better of the two) could show at the top of the key and then recover to defend the rim in time. As a result, NZ were scoring on back cuts, layups for the big men and offensive putbacks. Not surprisingly the Boomers got hammered as a result.

So I don't think you can say Brown doesn't like Jawai. In fact, I'm pretty sure he would understand that Jawai could be a great offensive weapon for us down the track. The issue right now, is how much has Jawai learned over the past year? Can he play good enough defence that he won't be a liability for the Boomers at the Worlds? Also, has he improved his footwork in the post? Is his conditioning up to scratch? Hopefully the answer to all these things is yes, because then we would have a real low post threat to replace Bogut at the Worlds.

Reply #279256 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it was bad coaching Beantown. Jawai should have been matching up on PLedger. Ogilvy was completely outmatched by him, but Brown allowed NZ to exploit Pledge on AJ and BJ Anthony's speed against Jawai.

The Boomers were so disorganised that NZ could double once Jawai started to make his move and there werent players in position to receive.

I dont think Jawai is an international star just yet, but he certainly wasnt used well in that series, which was the case for a number of players.

Reply #279261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW my team would be:
Maric, Nielsen, Barlow, Newley, Bruton
Jawai, Andersen, Worthington, Ingles, Mills, Petrie, Gibson

That would be (from last season) 4 NBL, 3 NBA, 3 Spain, 1 Turkey, 1 Serbia.

Who would be next in line? Ballinger, D Martin (who is a coin toss with Gibson for the last place for mine), perhaps a surprise packet from the camp? Always a good chance of another injury.

The only weakness I see with that team is with the really big centres, we will need Jawai to be in shape and ready to impose himself physically, becasue Maric struggled with the bigger specimen in the Euroleague.

Reply #279349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754