Statman
Years ago

Basketball Books

Ok Im in need of some help with a birthday present I need to buy.

Ive been invited to an 18th Birthday this weekend (its been a looong time since I went to an 18th) for one of the young guys in my social bball team. This guy lives and breathes basketball and loves his NBA and in particular Dwayne Wade/ Kobe Bryant and the stars of today. Id like to grab him a book that will broaden his horizons a bit and give him a bit of an idea about players and teams from the past.
Ive got 'My Life' by Magic Johnson and would happily grab him a copy of that (but I havnt found it in any shops locally) but am interested to hear of any other recomendations from Hoops fans out there of a good book on players/teams in the 'old school' NBA.

Topic #23111 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

can i keep my jersey by paul shirley is my fav

Reply #279223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seven seconds or less - phoenix suns season from 06? Jack Mccallum. Funny and a great insight into the workings of an NBA team. They guy was basically embedded with the Suns for a season.

Reply #279224 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Hoop dreams by Phil Jackson

Reply #279225 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anything by FreeDarko.

Reply #279226 | Report this post

Tipo  
Years ago

Can I keep my jersey and 7 seconds or less are my favourite

But some older ones I love are "running with the bulls"(think big Luke is the author) and "the last season" (or final season??) by Phil Jackson. I'm reading an older one called "I love being the enemy" which is a Reggie miller book, pretty sweet!

I'm also reading "who's afraid of a large black man" by sir Charles but it's not about basketball :-(

google search for a website / shop called "Melbourne sports books" they have a huge online catalogue and if u ring them they can arrange express post so u get it
for the weekend

hope that helps man

Reply #279229 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Was their a John wooden book ? His biographer was on espn other night . Be an awesome read . When I was in states Kareem had book also .

Reply #279232 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Oh and gives us all a heads up if you find a site that sells them . I'm keen too

Reply #279233 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Statman, I know you were thinking of a book, but what about a DVD of great games/ NBA history? Maybe even one of those 'Dynasty' box sets of DVD's? (Could be too expensive but there are ones for the Lakers, Celtics, 76ers and Bulls at least) Usually has about 7 discs with documentaries and includes about 2 or 3 classic games.

Not 100% sure local stores have them as I got my Celtics one in the US. But my mate has both the Lakers and 76ers ones and I reckon he purchased them in Australia.

I reckon if I was 18, I'd be more engaged seeing the history, great deeds and players of one of the great franchises.

Reply #279234 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

I have a secondhand copy of The Pistol and also I very very interesting read.

Bad as I want to be Dennis Rodman.

Hilarious read to see how unstable he was

Reply #279239 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

What about Mahervellous by Boti :)

Reply #279240 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I reckon he'd like the new Lebron James doco. It is retailing locally for approx $29.95.

Reply #279241 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Awesome ideas - Thankyou.

Beantown, yep Im definately considering DVD's as well, a snapshot of the 80's Lakers would be pretty sweet, Id probably keep it myself though and give my mate a bottle of JD instead!

Ill do some online research today and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help everyone

Reply #279242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fishpond seems to be a local alternative to Amazon - might be worth trying?

Reply #279244 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

When the game was ours - Magic Johnson and Larry Bird

This book gives great insight into the 2 of them as well as their rivalry and eventual friendship.

Reply #279247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's an affiliate link for those that don't mind - 7% of sales go towards Hoops hosting!

Australia's Book Shop

Save up to 40% by buying online.

Free Shipping on orders over $50!

Fishpond.com.au

Reply #279248 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Here also is a link to the shop Tipo mentioned above

http://linky.com.au/3cj9y

Obvously check out Isaacs links first though :)

Reply #279249 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

When the game was ours - Magic Johnson and Larry Bird

I am reading tha now Bizzy.

I would buy him "The Book of Basketball" bu Bill Simmons, funny stuff & ranks his top 50 of all time.

Reply #279253 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

My mate picked up a box set of all of the championship season dvd's of the last 25 (I think - could have been 20) years (up to 2007) for something ridiculous like $50. There are some massive bargains out there.

Reply #279255 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bulls box set is sensational, as is Ultimate Jordan.

An old book I liked but have misplaced was The Golden Boys (I think). It detailed how the Dream Team was selected and followed them through the Olympics.

Reply #279258 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Simmons new book is pretty good too

Reply #279280 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

7 Seconds or Less = awesome read.

I highly recommend Melbourne Sports Books as well - great bloke who will look after you.

Reply #279287 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Best basketball book is Bill Simmons Book of Basketball it is hilarious and very good to read. Very factual and valid opinions etc.

Reply #279297 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team by Coach K. Great read.

Phil Jackson wrote Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior. It's a little zen crazy, but not too shabby.

The Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam. Talks about the Portland Trailblazers coming from the old ABA to the NBA. Old school stuff. Halberstam joined the team for the season and lived in the locker room with the players.

They Call Me Coach by the greatest coach of all time, John Wooden.

My Life by Magic Johnson. One of the stories talks about his original nickname of 'June Bug'.

The Inside Game by Wayne Embry. Finally get some stories and a different POV. Interesting take on things from the eyes of a GM.

Reply #279306 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

I would have to agree with a few other posters on here, I picked up the book of basketball by bill simmons in Boston earlier this year (interesting was also on sale at the NBA store in NYC) and it is a smashing read.....definetly the best basketball book out there! It informative whilst also amusing and gives an overview of the NBA from the beginning til present

Reply #279323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing for keeps. A book on MJ is amazing. Story of how he came up through college and into the NBA. Also a bit of an insightinto how Nike and ESPN became so big riding on his coat tails.

Reply #279334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Jordan Rules. By Sam Smith.

"Hope there's a jump shot in there."

Reply #279395 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Thanks for everyones help. I ended up going the DVD route and picked up the Ultimate Jordan Box Set and also grabbed the Chicago Bulls boxset while I was at it.

Ended up a bit late for the 18th party but Im sure my mate wont mind - Now I just have to decide which one I'll give him!

Problem I have now is to try and stopping myself buying more DVD's and books and going broke!!

Reply #279782 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hope you grabbed a copy of each of those for yourself Statman, they are sensational viewing!

Reply #279787 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

You bet I did!

Reply #279788 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mine don't get a chance to get a layer of dust on them they are watched that often....

Reply #279793 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754