Paul
Years ago

Exciting times for Opals

The Opals had a good win last night and have an impressive line up on paper. When you think that Jackson, Snell, Taylor, Bevilaqua, Bishop, Batkovic & Lacey are not part of the current series things are very healthy.
There will be some very talented players not going to the worlds.

Topic #23120 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Totally agree. Australia, like the USA could probably filed two world class lineups at the WC's.

Reply #279351 | Report this post

aussieboomer4eva  
Years ago

What is the likelihood that, at the WCs, they start Cambage at C and bump LJ to PF? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply #279355 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It would probably depend on who the Opals are playing if that were to happen. Hopefully Snell is fit in time to be in contention for the WC's.

Reply #279358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well considering LJ rarely plays as a Centre for Australia I'd say there's a chance.

What about Batkovic-Brown? Especially now that she's in Canberra.

Reply #279359 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Batkovic-Brown is clearly an excellent option at C. Cambage is clealy the future, I'm just wondering what people's opinions are regarding whether the future is now or if her role at this WCs will be as support player in this early juncture in her career.

Reply #279367 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My starting lineup would look like this given everyone is healthy.

Batkovic-Brown
Jackson
Taylor
Snell
Harrower

And the locks for the team and perhaps coming off the bench behind the above 5 for mine include:

Cambage
O'Hea
Cox
Bevilacqua

And the remaining 3 players to be selected from:

Phillips
Grima
Summerton
Bishop
Screen
Smith

Obviously this means a great many good players miss out from not just the above, but also from:

Wilson
Richards
Penaluna
MacLeod
Hurst
Tolo
Flanagan

To name just a few...

Have our women's player stocks ever been any deeper or better???

Reply #279369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz and suzy will both play. We will have a great team with a target on our back - team usa want that title back. Taylor has been in form for the merc.

Reply #279370 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Cambage definitely no more then 15-20 minutes a game, if only for the fact that her fitness (while vastly improved) is probably still not up to the level required to be successful in international basketball.

Reply #279377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the stinkbomb Batkovic-Brown put up in the Olympic gold medal game, I'm hoping she won't be starting anymore - at least against quality. Either shift LJ across and go small, or start Cambage, and play her in bursts.

Reply #279381 | Report this post

The Champ  
Years ago

LC - Cox withdrew for personal reasons so won't be on the team. At 28 I wouldn't think she would be included again.

Paul - Lacey isn't part of the current squad, and I'm not sure if she'll be part of the future plans either.

I think Summerton would be close to being a lock and MacLeod and/or Phillips will be in the team as the other 2 established pgs are mid to late 30s, so they'll need to start thinking towards London.

It sure is looking like a tough team, with many strong players missing out.

Reply #279392 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

Watched them play Japan last night in Geelong, and it's clear Cambridge's still needs to work on her tank. The word last night is there is major doubt on Baktovic-Brown to get up for the champs and Snell is just 50/50.
My team would be
Starting 5
Cambridge
Jackson
O'Hea
Taylor
Harrower

Bench
Baktovic-Brown
Snell
Bevilacqua
Phillips
Grima
Summerton
Bishop

With Tolo & Smith to come in if Baktovic or Snell don't come up.
Saying that Screen will most likely be in the team as Graf loves her defence.

Reply #279412 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Powerful,raw stuff from Cambage .- levels completely untapped. - Most likely MVP - if you were picking one for this 3 game series.

Reply #279498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754