Double Clutch
Years ago

Funny What's Hot/What's Not

What's Hot:

• Actually being able to get a seat at a North Adelaide men's game
  • Erik Burdon finally getting a start, there was a buzz in the stadium when he walked on court, delivering 7 points, 3 assists, 1 block and a steal, good job Loveday
  • speaking of North Adelaide 'Cheap-shot' Mckay was vintage last night, too bad he's too old for anyone to remember what vintage Mckay was
  • Pulling up in the car next to Janet Ng and saying hello in the car park. Funny thing is she tried to get in the side door for free.
  • The floor wipers at the Norwood v Sturt game, especially #50 who had some pretty pimp dance moves...in fact the kids were the entire atmosphere
  • The Difference running straight into an umpire, the dude is getting fired up
  • Kung-Fu Hustle, Stephen Chow at his best
  • Keith Krause, dude impressed me against Hambour last year and played well again tonight
  • The year of the Yao trailer, check it out at apple.com/trailers
  • All the junior umpires doing a great job under a lot of pressure and with not much support, well done
  • Ong-Bak Thai warrior&terrible plot but the fighting is so awesome you won't care, see it at Palace or Marion now
  • $1.50 sausage sizzle&..could we see this outside of 36er games as fund-raising for clubs
  • Darren Ng finding ways to score in the second half despite his jump-shot not falling
  • Scott Arnold, the guy still has game, good to see him doing well

What's Not:
  • Rupert Sapwell's sideline demeanour, black shirt, black pants, at least put on a phat gold chain so you're not an exact Brian G copy
  • Jason Baylis sitting on the bench, at least put him on court and let him commit a turnover or two so I can diss him, seriously he played well while on 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 points on 2/3FG
  • BASA not instituting serious programs to wipe out umpire abuse&..hopefully the new appointment may be able to do something
  • National anthems before ABL games, I'm sick of them, from now on I'm not standing for national anthems in a stadium with 90 other people waiting 30 seconds just so someone can press play on a dodgy tape in front of a back to front flag
  • Scott Thur's hard foul on a North Adelaide player
  • Oscar Forman's 3 point shooting in the second half, missed about 3 times from the same spot on the wing
  • Hard foul on Oscar as he is about to go for a dunk, let the dunk go, its what the kids want

Find of the week:
Lovedays bench..&he actually went to it for a bit for once, 21 Jordan Kies ran the point impressively, 40 for South also hit some big shots for the team but his name isnt in Hang Time, anyone know his name to give props

Flop of the week:
Luke Frost is cold as ice, missed 2 free throws at the end of the 3rd and then 3 free throws to start the fourth, including an air-ball (looked like it from my end) and one that just scrapped the paint, was a major turning point in the game from a guy choking like George Bush on a pretzel.

Celebrity sightings
North v South
  • Smooth Butter
  • Travis

Norwood v Sturt
  • Isaac, Pantano (sp?)
  • Janet and Chiekh
  • #50 Norwood floor wiper, hes a celeb now
  • Fresh Cream

Topic #2314 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Hot:

• Had dinner at Vietnam Star City on the way to the game, and Pantano was terrified by a wasp near our table. He also set a record for drinking (more eating than drinking, really) a coconut juice. (Ladies, he's on the market: smaller stature, scared of wasps, likes coconut juice -- something for everyone!)
  • - That crazy kid dancing in the timeouts at Norwood vs Sturt - get him in a video clip somewhere. Can someone sponsor him to attend the Sixers Dancers day coming up?

Not hot:
  • Thompson's shooting (2 of 14), and the air-balled three that was about a metre short
  • the Thompson vs Gowerdouble foul (Dan, don't push someone in the back of the head, it looks really bad)
  • on the other hand, Gower somehow being involved in every fight this season - Beat Down!
  • Oscar's 1 of 9 threes (I almost looked away it was so hard to watch)
  • Not seeing Julie Summerton at the game!
  • Dickhead throwing a cork at my girlfriend when she was at work
  • Rick Castle beating me at Fantasy Hoops by 2 points, and then Lamar Odom gets injured as well. Crap!

Spotted at Norwood vs Sturt:
  • Hoop Addict
  • Panther

Reply #26114 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Good to see you at the game too Isaac, how's Adam ant doing anyway?
In regards to Double Clutch comments on my lack of play. I came into the game a little under an injury cloud after tearing a ligament in my ankle monday at training. Although it didn't feel too bad during the game the coach didn't really want to risk it.
Last night's game was an interesting one to say the least.
One of the most physical games of witnessed. If Gorjian had refs like those two last night he would have 10 championships!!! If Norwood focused more on playing basketball than trying to beat everyone up they would have a very good side. I don't know if they're like that all the time or if it was their game plan against Sturt, but it didn't work.
Although i'm not his number one fan, I think Gower got a pretty raw deal last night, but overall it was good to see most times the Sturt players brush off the physicality of the opposition and play ball.

-Play of the week has to go to that number 50 kid from norwood doing his little break dance at half time and during a couple of timeouts!

-Standout of the weekend...Sappwells shoes! I can't believe you didn't mention them Clutch! Old school Chuck Taylors with flames on them!!! Nice...

Reply #26130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are ya Panther? Adam Ant is just fine here, still getting over a crazy European Wasp incident from earlier last night, but generally all is good!

Reply #26133 | Report this post

Low rollers  
Years ago

Panther how you finish up on Satdee night? $100 down here and my collegue - a similar amount. Damn!

Reply #26135 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yer I read you had a bit of a "wasp" incident.
Low Roller, I worked my way back from 350 down to 175 down, so still not happy!

Reply #26139 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

DC,

40 for South is Matt Davies, (finally has got over a long term knee injury.)

Reply #26141 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What's Not:
National anthems before ABL games? Where's your patriotism Double Clutch?

Reply #26212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correct me if i'm wrong double clutch but it is part of the seabl mantra/bylaws/regulations call it what you will that the clubs play national anthems before each game

there is a very hefty fine if they don't

do you wish to pay it for them?

Reply #26218 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

EC: I think if you dont like the national anthem before the games then go outside while they play it... Get over it .. or maybe even plug in your I-Pod and stop whinging about the little things. Basketball in this state is great concentrate on what you are there for.

Reply #26220 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It's not a SEABL imposed fine (SEABL is just another league, like Bank SA State League (ABA) - our league), but an ABA imposed fine (from memory I think it is along the lines of about $300 per violation)

As to whether it should be played or not - I'll stay out of that :)

Reply #26223 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

C'mon Yogee .. its not like you to sit on the fence like that ..

$300 dollars .. maybe EC wants to pay the fine every week for a little peace and quiet .. "hush money"

Im not a great one for singing the Anthem all the time .. but why not let people maintain some sense of tradition and patriotism?

Reply #26224 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skyhook, EC was defending the anthem. It's DC who's not the fan. If that ratbag from the Norwood game is dancing, who cares what they play.

Yogee, you're an Australian Idol fan I think -- maybe you'd like to sing it at a Woodville game? ;)

Reply #26245 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Sorry EC ... typo !!

Reply #26252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah clutch your boy Burdon had a massive game to?

Reply #26255 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Like or dislike our National Anthem, it IS symbolic. Go and ask everyone who has represented this country and how they feel today when they hear the anthem played. I can personally assure you, even after many years, the most vivid and inspiring images return as if you are still there in front of those thousands of people : their screams of support, applause and admiration. I love hearing the anthem for that purpose! (Bad tape players or not) Let's hope many more people get to live that dream of playing for Australia and see how they feel in days, weeks, years from now.

Reply #26280 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Well maybe it is just me but I'm not that patriotic that I need to hear the anthem with less than 100 people in the building. Other sports such as football don't feel the need to play the anthem at state games with much bigger crowds.

As for what the anthem represents it can symbolise different things to different people and I'm sorry to say but I just don't feel comfortable standing to it, (and this isn't a Iraq war tree-hugging hippy thing either) and I'll respect people's right to stand as long as they respect my right to sit, (which hasn't been shown to me in the past).

Panther, I couldn't see Sapwell's shoes from where I was but they sound pimp. Have a few old Chucks myself.

As for #26255, what did you think of Burdon's D, or do you only watch one end of the court?

Reply #26287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mate, youve been talking him up for ages and bagging loveday for not playing him, he finally starts and plays decent mintues and the best you can say is his D was good? he must make your hot list every week.. regardless of how he plays!

Reply #26289 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isaac, I thought the idea was we want MORE people coming to ABA games.

Me signing would not only ensure that Woodville had crowds that totalled the support staff for the game, but no one would even attend 36er games for knowing something so atrocious had happened in the same building :)

Reply #26300 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

You're bagging him after he started one game. We'll wait and see. If in five weeks I have to eat my words, fair enough.

Reply #26434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eze's the shit

Reply #27026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't ABA the central conference of SEABL Yogee?

Reply #27049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No...SEABL is a victorian/se sa conference of the Aba - the Australia Basketball Assocition.

Just look at the logo on every players uniform...the one with the basketball..it says ABA.

Reply #27053 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754