LA Fan
Years ago

Rumour: Tracy McGrady to sign with Lakers

There are rumours going around that the Lakers management are in negotiations to sign Tracy McGrady.

Has anyone else heard this? Who do you think is on the way out then? Surely they couldn't keep Brown, Farmar, Vujacic and McGrady?

Bosh is also high on the Lakers hit list too. What are the chances of the Lakers signing him?

Sorry no links at this stage.

Topic #23193 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

I've heard both the McGrady and the Boosh rumours. I'm pretty sure that the McGrady rumour was originated at the Bleacher Report so I'm not really buying much into it. However, the Bosh rumour isn't new and is something that's been talked about for ages.

I can't see Bosh joining the Lakers. He's only 230 lbs, which makes him a liability as a post defender in comparison to Bynum. It also would mean that the Lakers would have to move Gasol to play the five position on a permanent basis. Keep Bynum, say no to Bosh.

I've heard two other rumours. Heard one about Ray Allen to LA on the MLE. Also heard one regarding Shaq coming back to LA in a reduced role off the bench.

Farmar won't be re-signed, he'll leave as a free agent. Vujacic is staying, he's a good shooter to have on the team. As for Brown, he'll most likely stay. Can't see him getting MLE money on another team.

Reply #280244 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Take it from me, as a Houston fan.....you want no part of the McGrady sideshow....The guy is going the way of Iverson.

I just can't see how the Lakers can get Bosh...are they really willing to take on another huge contract to get a player that will clash with Gasol?? Personally I would prefer to stick with what they have and shore up the bench....Don't fix what ain't broke!!

Reply #280246 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

The Guaranteed contracts are
Bryant $25M
Gasol $18M
Bynum $14M
Odom $8.2M
Artest $6.5M
Vujacic $5.5M
Walton $5.5M
Total $82.7M

Options on
Morrison $ 7M
Brown $2.5M
Farmer $3M

Free Agents
Fisher $5.1M
Mbenga $1M
Powell $1M

As if they have any room to bring in any new players?

Lets say they take the options for Farmer and Brown and resign derek fisher.

Adam Morrison is expendable due to lack of oppurtunity

Mbenga & Powell maybe resigned due to how cheap they are

The only possible change could be with Artest, they may seek to trade him off to keep Jackson. Phil got feed up with artest.

Reply #280248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McGrady showed in his stint with the Knicks last season he's absolutely done.

Reply #280251 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

No one will touch Artest with four years left on his contract.

Reply #280257 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The Knicks would. ^^

Reply #280259 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Lakers don't have the cap space to sign Bosh, unless he wants the MLE. The Lakers have deep pockets, but surely there is a limit. Bosh's contract would be x2 if they straight-up signed him.

They are at $83,735,883 for the 2010/2011 season. Bosh is looking for the maxiumum.

Fisher, Powell, Gaffney and Mbenga come off the books. Farmer and Morrison have qualifying offers. I expect Morrison to not be re-signed, and Farmer will bolt for a better deal.

Bryant, Gasol, Odom, Artest, Bynum comes in at $68 million.

The Lakers also won the championship... why seriously mess with a championship tevam. We all saw what happened when the Lakers loaded up with GP and Karl Malone.

I've heard that the Lakers are interested in looking at Javaris Crittenton. He fits Phil's mould of a big guard.

Reply #280260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe bring gilbert in with him so they have bigger locker rooms for there guns.

Reply #280262 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

go for ray allen , another defensive player and back up 5. Get rid of Powell , Fischer , Gaffney and Mbenga

If anythink left on Salary Cap maybe a good developing 3 player . What do we think abt this

Reply #280264 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

I think you forget that Ray and Kobe hate each other and so does kobe and shaq no matter what they say.

Reply #280267 | Report this post

Captain Dan  
Years ago

Don't get rid of Fisher he was the one that saved LA's butt when Kobe was chuckin up bricks...
Morrison has to go has been on the list now 4 two years and hasnt done much plus he holds a 7 million deal... get rid of him and its a sign and trade deal for LA and the Toronto Raptors: LA acquire Chris Bosh for Andrew Bynum and Adam Morrison: Not will this move be a good one for both teams but it will give both Morrison and Bynum alot of minutes and give them a chance to both step up and begin to become more reliable players in a struggling team...

Reply #280270 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think it'll be a good signing.

Although he had a bad stint with the Knicks (probably due to lack of conditioning), however he also showed flashes of what he can still do.

Remember, we're not asking for T-MAC to come carry a basketball team anymore, just be a role player off the bench he'll provide plenty of firepower. Especially he'll be going against bench of other teams!

Don't think he'll be fighting minutes with Shannon Brown, as Brown'll go to the 1 spot without Farmar. In fact, the 2 spot on the bench is a weak link as there's no real 2 man off the bench, Shannon Brown's only 6'4. With Fisher aging you can only expect more minutes for the back up PG.

So T-MAC will back up Kobe at the 2 and slide up to 3 to back Ron when necessary. When you look at it, back ups for 2 and 3 has been pretty weak for LA, and this seems to be a good upgrade for what we currently have.

Reply #280273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the whole Bosh thing, I've read that the Lakers might be gearing up to make a run at him and offer the Raptors Andrew Bynum in a sign & trade which would obviously remove Bynum's contract from the Lakers books to be replaced by the max contract of Bosh.

Reply #280282 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think T-Mac is another AI waiting to happen.

AI didn't want to take a back seat, and I doubt T-Mac does either.

Reply #280283 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

T-MAC is willing to take a back seat and become a role player off the bench. If he don't, he wouldn't be looking to go to Lakers.

I don't like giving Bynum up for Bosh, I think this serie just showed how valuable his length is

Reply #280289 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

did you guys see iverson is making his way back to the NBA next season? what a joke

Reply #280290 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

kevin durant, wade and melo to lakers

Reply #280294 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

ray allen wants to go to miami. T MAC would be alright in LA means kobe could have more time on the bench and rest up for the playoffs during the regular season.

Bosh wants to be the number 1 man in a team he aint going to go to LA he will be 3rd option after bryant and gasol.

Reply #280310 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Bosh is the #1 option now and look where thats got him

Reply #280650 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Lakers would be stupid to offload Bynum

He is still young, and has showed he can be a player when fit

Tmac would be a great asset off the bench...lakers need more firepower from their reserves....thats for sure

Reply #280669 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lakers should keep Bynum unless they know his body isn't up to it. The length he and Gasol bring is awesome and is the #1 reason why the Lakers won and will continue to dominate.

I find these Ray Allen rumours very hard to believe. He has repeatedly said he wants to finish his career as a Celtic and has always had a strong rivalry with Kobe. I seriously doubt he would like the idea of coming off the bench behind Kobe for 10-15 mins per game! It certainly would not be for the MLE.

I don't see why Ray would go to Miami either. They need to make some massive signings before they are even close to competing with the Celtics for a title. I'm pretty sure Ainge will offer Ray $8-10 mill for 2-3 seasons, so if Miami want him they are going to have to massively overpay for him.

Reply #280692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754