The Banker
Years ago

Bucks trade Bell and Gadzuric for Maggette

The Milwaukee Bucks have acquired the services of Corey Maggette From the Golden state Warriors in return they send Charlie Bell and Dan Gadzuric to the warriors.

The Bucks also receives pick 44 in the NBA draft later this week, which gives them a total of 4 picks(1 x 1st round, 3 x 2nd Round)

I beleive this is a good trade for the bucks, it gives them another scoring option, Look for Corey to get his average around 20pts per game next season.

Topic #23197 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Interesting Trade. I'm surprised that the bucks took on that contract for 2 expirings but the extra offense will definately help. Hopefully Mags realises that he will be the 3rd option on offence after Bogie and Jennings.

Reply #280306 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I believe the Bucks did this trade as Salmons is opting out of his contract this off season.
Magette will be a good fit, was hoping Chi Town would be looking at him instead of Johnson. Bugger.

Reply #280309 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good to see some extra scoring punch in the Bucks line-up.

Mag will need to understand that he's 3rd in the play behind Bogut and Jennings.

Will Redd even be able to get over his injury and find some court-time? Or is the injury so bad now that he's just about forced into pre-mature retirement?

Reply #280329 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Should be a good move for the Bucks. There are a couple of risks with him: injuries and the possibility he doesn't mesh with the Bucks equal opportunity offence of last season.

But I think those risks are worth it. He could really have a big impact for the Bucks with his ability to draw fouls and career 82% FT shooting.

He's a good rebounder too and GSW used him as their PF a lot last year due to their injuries. I think the Bucks could use him that way too.

His contract is not too bad either. It only has 3 seasons to run, so he will only be 33 when it expires.

They also gave up zilch to get him. They have been trying to move Gadz and Bell for years and their salaries combined are more than Maggette's anyway! To get a 2nd rounder as well, they just took advantage of the GSW big time.

DB5, I hope the Bucks are able to retain Salmons. With him and Maggette, they'd have some serious scoring punch next season. The problem the Bucks have is that they are pretty well at the cap already and don't have Salmons Bird Rights, since they only acquired him during last season. So if he opts out this season, the most they can offer him is the MLE, or about $6 mill.

Hopefully Salmons picks up his option for this season and then they can offer him a longer contract the following season, when Redd's contract expires.

That would give them a core of:

Bogut
Ilyasova Mbah a Moute
Maggette Delfino
Salmons Redd (if fit)
Jennings

That's pretty good, with both centre and PG covered by high quality players and a cadre of skilled, interchangeable wing players to complement them. The only thing they're lacking is that true starting PF.

Doubt they'll get that guy at #15 in the draft, but they should be able to get a nice backup for Bogut. Guys like Aldrich, S a nders, Alabi or Orton are highly likely to be there. Maybe even Patterson if he falls a little bit.

Reply #280339 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh crap, I forgot and wrote S an d ers again. Dammit! Could you fix please Isaac?

Reply #280340 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Good trade....

This trade allows Salmons to walk. Both are the same age, and Salmons was looking for similar money that Mags is currently on.

The financials really only kick in during the last year. In the first year, the Bucks save around $2 million then have to pay $3 mill the following year, and then $9 million in the 3rd year. That $9 mill isn't too scary as Mags contract is in the last year and becomes a valuable trading chip in the form of an expiring contract.

The Bucks are praying that Redd doesn't come back any time soon. Insurance is paying 80% of his contract at the moment....

Reply #280341 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Michael Redd is over and out, His body is not upto standards for the NBA

Its sad cause he has some unbelievable talent but the injury prone redd just cant get back to his best before another injury

Please Redd retirement and dont come back so we can remember u as a great offensive machine!

Reply #280344 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You mean a black hole on offence I think...Redd has not been any good for about 3 seasons.

Reply #280348 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I'm a bit concerned - Magette can be a bit of a black hole too. I'm hoping Skiles can do a better job than Nelson and Dunleavy (shouldn't be too hard!)

Reply #280349 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I know what you mean Oden08, but I think it will be fine for two reasons:
- Skiles won't take any crap and neither will the team, because they had a good thing going last year and won't want to see it undermined by a newcomer.
- Maggette has a chance to play a significant role on a good team to close out his career.

Reply #280351 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Redd was a good talent until injuries caught up with him. I agree he should retire.

Reply #280354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come to the NBL Redd.

Reply #280358 | Report this post

MitchH  
Years ago

Great trade for the bucks!

While everybody is trying to save money for free agency, the bucks realize that players like lebron arent even gonna contemplate coming to places like milwaukee or minnestota. So they acquire a quality player now rather than putting it to chance on the free agent market. Smart move!

And unfortunately im pretty sure salmons is opting out next season :S

Reply #280365 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Salmons is a certain to opted out..

Reply #280370 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bucks flipped the 44th pick to the Nets for CDR..

Reply #280371 | Report this post

Chucker  
Years ago

@ TR

Has that been confirmed? I thought it was going to happen if they couldn't land Maggette?

Reply #280376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think CDR wants out from nets and the bucks didn't want there 2nd round pick as their roster is pretty full and won't be as good quality player as CDR.

Reply #280379 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry Chucker, my bad. It hasn't been confirmed as yet.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37864180/sports/player_news

http://www.examiner.com/x-6519-Milwaukee-Bucks-Examiner~y2010m6d22-CDR-on-his-way-to-Milwaukee

Reply #280381 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

Got news for yall later! Yall ready for this??? Ahhahaaahaha. I jus can't hide it. FTD. Yes yess! FTD yes yess!

FTD = Fear the Deer?

off his twitter page...

Reply #280382 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

CDR is a huge pick up for the Bucks. They are gebuine across the whole starting 5, with at least 3 quality reserves. Hopefully they get continued improvement from within the roster and jag a decent rookie in the draft.

Reply #280390 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes, the bucks have made what appear to be some very good moves so far. I just hope Maggette works out and Skiles is able to get the best out of him.

Reply #280395 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

They traded away Gadzuric which is a good thing. The team needs some decent bigs now; I don't think the 1-3 spots need changing.

Jennings, Maggette, Delfino is a good combination. Bogut needs support in the Post; I don't think Mbah a Moute is a starter; certainly a decent bench-player.

Definately agree with DB5 and Oden 08; Maggette can score, but probably needs about 20+ shots per game to make anything.

He'd better realise that he's only the support for Bogut and Jennings, not the headliner.

Reply #280398 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Is Stackhouse still contracted for next year? He was great off the bench when Bogut went down.

Reply #280401 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

I like both trades, Maggette can be a bit of a ball-stopper but hopefully he buys into the system Skiles will push otherwise he gone b4 the trade deadline.

CDR is a bit of a favourite of mine since he was at Memphis and giving up a mid-2nd round pick is really worth it.

They just need to fill in the spaces in the frontcourt rotation and it's sweet.
BTW anyone know if Kurt is under contract he was useful as a back-up C.

Reply #280405 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

KT and Stack expired last season...

Reply #280415 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheers TR. Both those bloke were great value fot the Bucks.

Reply #280416 | Report this post

Chifan  
Years ago

Maggette is a horrible defender, one of the worst in the nba. Happy the Bulls didnt get him and his disgraceful contract.

Skiles is going to have fits with this guy..

Reply #280713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bucks are NOT a good team. I'll wreck the false hopes here.

Bogut is All-NBA, PROVIDING he can come back from the injury which is not a certainty. Jennings is a sophomore so don't go expecting 22 points and 8 assists a game from him. Just hope for improved shooting % and a few buckets. Mbah A Moute, Delfino, Ilyasova and Redd now are no more than role players. Ilyasova will come in and pop a few jumpers but not much else, Luc Richard is a defender and scrapper and Delfino is inconsistent to say the least.

I think you need at least a decent PF, some reserve bigs, a good slashing 3 (Maggette should provide this) and some shooting from the perimeter to even contemplate making a play-off run

Reply #280738 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What false hopes anon? No-one made any predictions about the Bucks for next year whatsoever!

Having said that, I would characterise the Bucks as a 'good' team last season. They certainly got the most out of limited talent, but they were good to watch because they shared the ball on offence and played some of the best defence in the league for most of the season.

If Bogut hadn't gone down, I think they would have been a tough out for the Celtics (who they probably would have faced) and they would have smashed the Hawks.

If they can continue to play defence and share the ball like they did last season, then there's no reason to think they can't finish in the top 6 again. If they can also acquire some front court help for Bogut then they could even win a playoff series!

Reply #280748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754